Modding Discussion (Request) Beards for Novakids?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Flannel, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Flannel

Flannel Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've been looking really hard for a mod that gives facial hair to novakids. Unfortunately, the only ones I've found are... Mediocre at best. I want actual beards for them, and not just mustaches that makes it look like they have a swollen mouth.

[​IMG]

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

You want your plasma women to have beards? Who am I to judge?

Seriously though, I'm no character artist aside from small edits. I'd guess we're talking lots of faint lines, but also less than full opacity on the area between the lines(probably done by directives rather than the image alpha). It doesn't look like fullbright is an option for races, but then I don't really know races.

Heck, take some short hair, turn it up side down. That could be a funny idea for a race anyhow. They normally have their "hair" where we'd have a beard. Only the males might be not bald up top, growing something like a beard(more minor than the hair)... Or it could be the females because aliens need not conform to our human norms.

3. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please share the examples that you have. I have been doing a lot of sprite work recently i'd love to give it a shot.

4. Flannel

I actually play as a Novaboy, and I was mostly wanting cute beards n stuff to make my cute star boys even cuter. I don't mind the girls getting beards tho. (I encourage it, tbh.)

This is the mod I was talking about. I don't like how the facial hair looks on the novakids that they made, because it makes it look either completely out of place or like they have a swollen mouth. (Seems they mostly just gave Novakids mustaches? I want beards, not mustaches!)

5. IHart

Those do look pretty stupid. I'm gunna start trying stuff out, if you have more concept art or other inspiration throw it at me please.

6. Flannel

Unfortunately, not a lot of people draw Novakids with beards. I'll see what I can dig up!

Update: Google isn't really giving me anything, aside from 2 images that are pretty obscure to source.

7. IHart

How about non-novakids with beards you'd like to see

8. Flannel

[​IMG]
    If it was something like this, and it looked good, I'd be absolutely ecstatic. (I admit, I'm a sucker for these kinds of beards... I'm not a fan of mustaches.)
    (Source for the image)

9. IHart

im hijacking apex facial hair to start with. Will share once that is done, and expand from there.

Flannel likes this.
  10. Flannel

Cool, I'm excited to see how it turns out!

11. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

>im hijacking apex facial hair to start with. Will share once that is done, and expand from there.
    I was doing that before getting stuck at colors and ended up doing something else
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  12. Flannel

Doesn't look too bad, and you can probably just color-snipe from the gas color. It may be a little tricky to work it in to make it look like it's actually there an not just a broken mouth, but with a little effort, I'm sure it'd look great.

13. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

(The way to go would probably be to either add color infos to the .specie file, or recolor every beards to match the novakid's hair's color; both are lengthy and I'm l a z y

edit: woops ended up doing it
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here it is:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  14. IHart

yoink

15. Flannel

They seem kinda off on the left side of their face?

16. IHart

My left or your left? JK i think what you are seeing is the chin of the head sprite showing from behind, apex chins are not quite so prominent.

https://github.com/IsaacHart/sbmod-novabeard/archive/master.zip
    This is implementation the using the other method cyel mentioned.

Cyel likes this.
  17. Flannel

Can you post pics of it?

18. IHart

19. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Did you recolored them manually?

20. IHart

Not pixel by pixel, no. Imported all files as layers into gimp, used color indexing to replace color for color and then a python script to export layers.

Cyel likes this.