Regarding Release & Beta, What You Should Know.

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Arcadiax, Apr 14, 2012.

1. FireBird

FireBird Industrial Terraformer

After watching the main site for a while I decided to create a forum account and throw my name into the pool of 'potential beta victims'. :rofl:
    I say victims because what a lot of people don't realise is that beta testing can actually be rather monotonous and boring sometimes.
    Granted there is the excitement of "I get to see the game early, YAY!" but then they'll eventually get to the part about logging detailed bugs and the excitement will quickly die. Beta testing is about breaking things and then writing down in detail, just how, where and when you broke it and just how the devs can duplicate it. Extra noddy badge points for noted side effects.

As for the 50/50 it might go to beta, I think it should. In my experience you need a more diverse set of brains to thoroughly hammer a system. If I 'know' how something works I'll get stuck into a pattern and use it in a same or similar way from then on possibly skipping over a game breaking bug. Someone else might come along with a blank slate and just try that interesting combination that exposes the bug/exploit and the game becomes just that much better.
    Vargus suggested a great idea on page 2, insert a unique something in each copy you give out to beta testers. Maybe a typo or a unique background graphic. A few pixels would be enough to make a version traceable and the tester could be booted.
    NDAs are pretty much standard procedure these days but I would still limit the beta to specific things that need testing and cut out the stuff that would make launch day really flashy. That should limit any leaks causing major problems because lets face it, they'll occur on almost any beta.

2. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

The thing is, the developers most likely ask close friends and family to test it for now, I'm doubting more and more that there will be a beta, given that its October now, and its slated for late 2012 release...

3. Hukasu

Hukasu Cosmic Narwhal

i'm pretty sure it's October

and yeah, let's not get exited about beta because it might not even happen, and if it does happen, they might only call a few people

4. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

If it is october then this will be the greatest birthday present in a long time. And yeah, considering they said mid-end year, I'm thinking sometime soon. :rainbow:

5. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

If Starbound is released on December 21st 2012...
    The Mayans will be right, Something big happens to the world....Starbound

6. FireBird

FireBird Industrial Terraformer

Actually, I think the whole Mayan thing is a bit wrong. We work on the Julian calendar. That includes an extra day every 4 years, the leap years. The Mayans didn't count leap years or add that extra day in as their calendar was made long before 'ol Julias implemented his. So for the last 2012 years we've been shifting out 1 day from the Mayan calendar. 2012 / 4 = 503 days. That means that the Mayan calendar ended last year May/June.

That being said, it would be great if you could release round about 11th November as I'm on 2 weeks leave there and could really get some good game time in... :) I have to admit that I'm really amped for this release, it's Terraria but in space with hi-tech stuff AND multiple planets, not just the one.

7. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

I was quite tired when I wrote that :p

But yeah guys, who knows, I think the best thing to do is sit back and wait for a release date, rather than hyping ourselves up for made up dates that may come and go :(

8. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

Oh. Well it can't be tooooo long now.

9. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Oh, I dont mind the Yogs folks, or even alot of the Minecraft Community (It helps to assume that in every server(public place, workplace, tavern, campground, etc. ) youll have THAT one person who jerks it up just to make people mad -w- ) even though Ive not known em for long, but id agree, Id HATE PaperVG to get a code to the game early. Hes such a bloated bragger he makes Drifblim look like its on a SlimFast and Air Diet. I swear to god I cheer everytime he gets himself killed.

But thats just my opinion! ^w^

10. Gryphonator

Gryphonator Void-Bound Voyager

:mad: :down: HOW EXACTLY DOES POSTING MINECRAFT VIDS AND SAYING HOW AWESOME IT IS RUIN THE COMUNITY?!?! THIS MEANS SPARTA!!!!!!:sparta: and to quote the YOGSCAST skyrim mod spotlight for minecraft... "FUS...RO...DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fusrodah::fireball:

11. SirValentineCatsСта́лкер

SirValentineCatsСта́лкер Subatomic Cosmonaut

This got interesting fast.

12. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

More like..
    [​IMG]

13. Admiral CherryTurnover

Admiral CherryTurnover Cosmic Narwhal

Has anyone checked the FAQ on the main site recently?
    It says:
    Just wondering if this is referencing an open or closed beta...
    Wasn't sure if that was posted there on day one or not.
    I just had the impression that it was slipped in there sometime around a month ago or so.

14. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

They were originally saying closed, but in an AMA Tiy did on Reddit he said it would be a public one...so I'm not sure.

15. Maos

Maos Void-Bound Voyager

As my first day here on the forums,this helps greatly. Thanks!

16. SirValentineCatsСта́лкер

welcome to city 17

17. Maos

Maos Void-Bound Voyager

Not exactly sure what you mean by that..17? Anyway thanks, I think :p

18. SirValentineCatsСта́лкер

Never play half life 2? Its the sinister welcome you get to a city under the reign of a tyrant alien species.

19. Maos

Maos Void-Bound Voyager

O
    Ohhh,nope never played it. Never got around to beating the first one. They have a really cool story line but the first one bored me after a while gameplay wise.

20. SirValentineCatsСта́лкер

I got the first one mostly to play sven co op with my friends and it only cost me 99 cents. I dont think I ever actually finished it since I found other things to play.