1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Question: Will the new dirt problems in nightly be fixed?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ShinyKitten07, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

In my experiences, just about every Garden Planet uses pretty much the same color dirt. So if you build on a Lush planet, you're probably safe and good to go. Or simply terraform the whole area around it using that dirt, and cover a huge area with 5+ blocks thick of dirt so you can't notice that area is different than the rest.

2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

You can paint most blocks (including dirt) in any of 8 colors (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Pink, Black, White) plus its natural color. That is not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

I wonder if its possible to mod the paint tool and add more colors to it...

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

My understanding is that -unless something has DRASTICALLY changed since the Giraffe build- it'd take modding every block in the game to do so.

Painted blocks are pre-made graphics and the game just swaps the image out for another part of the block's PNG file, rather than altering color values.

baseboard.png

Obviously, dirt and sand and some other "naturally occurring" blocks do the computer-figured color value thing, but apparently once they hit your inventory in the latest iteration, it's PNG or nothing.

4. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

My 2 cents: I'm going to miss all the colourful blocks and I'm with M_Sipher on the "never know when it's useful"-collection and plant/biome appropriate farming aspects.
    It was nice to have a little more variation in the toybox...

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  5. Amber Talamasca

Amber Talamasca Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd go about it the following way. have an extra color and a color picker. the color picker picks up the color from the block you point at, the extra color will be the value stored through the picker. I however have no idea yet about how workable this is. I am going to dive into it when i get home.

6. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

If such a function could be added to the matter manipulator it would even make sense.
    I'd imagine the M.M. could use the base material and you could choose its colour upon selecting it.
    The palette could even be determined by what kind of dirt you have "sampled" before by picking it up, thus slowly expanding your options.

This all would really benefit the M.M. as the super-awesome-super-future-tool it is supposed to be.

7. Amber Talamasca

Amber Talamasca Pangalactic Porcupine

That sounds like a lot more work and more complications. Let me first see if i can do what i had in mind, which i have a semi idea of HOW to actually do. if that works i'll see what i can do.

8. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

I can confirm dirt is paintable (like almost every other block in the game, with a few exceptions)

However, the Paint Tool's colours are very limited, so you won't be able to match the planet at all, unless you luck out.

9. ShinyKitten07

ShinyKitten07 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Painting the dirt paints it to one of the extreme colors, and UNPAINTING it turns previously COLORED dirt in to boring old tan dirt.

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  10. Mecharian

Mecharian Space Hobo

Venom likes this.
  11. ShinyKitten07

ShinyKitten07 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you very much for featuring my thread, and I have voted in your poll.

12. Morimach777

Morimach777 Astral Cartographer

This...right...here. My sentiments almost exactly!

13. stealthXG

stealthXG Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't like having different color dirt stacking up in my inventory taking up space. They could just make so that you can dye dirt at one of the crafting stations.

14. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

The solution to that was to either store or throw away all the other dirt you aren't using.

Meanwhile, to sate people with similar feelings, we lost easy access to one of the best features of the game which has also been in the game since initial release.

Vantus, Cirom and Plex_Director like this.
  15. Venom

Venom Pangalactic Porcupine

As I said in the other thread, this should be taken into account quickly. I can't get myself to make a home planet anywhere because im afraid of taking away dirt. Ridiculous feeling in a sandbox game..

Vantus likes this.
  16. YoruToboe

YoruToboe Void-Bound Voyager

They could add a middle click on the paint gun that grabs the color of the block you hovering at and uses to paint the others of the same block. . . I don't think it's a major issue but my OCD for different dirt colors kinda of bugs me a lot

17. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

strange is these features existed and they simply removed them.
    tehre were so many dirt colors available once.

18. Mackinz

Or, and this is going to sound crazy, they could have blocks drop their colored variants and not give a crap about people who don't bother with inventory management but complain about multiple colors if blocks in their inventory.

Vantus likes this.
  19. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

Or they could expose in the matter manipulator files a setting for whether color is stripped or not from collected materials, allowing players to choose themselves by adding a tiny mod.

20. Mackinz

I'm like 99.99% certain that this happens regardless of whether you use the Matter Manipulator, pickaxes, drills or explosions to mine blocks, so my point still stands.