1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick guide to unpack your starbound assets folder

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Clockwork, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppliedThanatology

AppliedThanatology Intergalactic Tourist

Copy and paste into notepad:
    asset_unpacker.exe ..\assets\packed.pak ..\backuppak\

Click Save As and change the file type from .text to All Files, then save it as "Unpacker.bat" and place the new .bat file (Found in documents) into win32 of starbound, for steam users like me, it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32

Then in a new notepad document, copy/paste the following:
    asset_packer.exe ..\backuppak\ ..\assets\packed.pak

And once again, change it to save as all files, then save it as "Packer.bat" and put it into the same win32

After double clicking the unpacker, a folder will be created, called backuppak, found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\backuppak
    Once you are done modding the assets in backuppak, simply double click your self made "Packer.bat" and enjoy your modded starboundy goodness. Credit for the unpacking and packing method goes to /u/DrBob3002 of the above reddit link. Making the .bat file just makes things alot easier, and you can create a desktop shortcut of the packer.bat for easy use.

2. Rizzozo

Rizzozo Subatomic Cosmonaut

The .bat file you linked worked like a charm. Thanks :)

3. Enel

Enel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i did it, but there is a lot of missing stuff when i unpack...
    how can i unpack the items and other ssets

4. toxoman19

toxoman19 Void-Bound Voyager

where is player.config

5. Rellikx

Rellikx Void-Bound Voyager

Did You wait for the unpacker to finish? I kinda just closed cmd after a couple seconds thinking it just didn't close on it's own.

6. toxoman19

toxoman19 Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah I guess i did that. I just tried again and waited and it worked

Thank you

7. cookiem0nster17

cookiem0nster17 Space Spelunker

Dude I used it and now starbound wont launch. Some fix this is...

8. Nataniel

Nataniel Space Spelunker

just re-pack it back
    make a .txt file in starbound/win32
    paste "asset_packer.exe ..\assets\unpacked ..\assets\packed.pak" wothout quotation marks inside (you may need to modify ..\assets\unpacked to whatever place you unpacked your stuff before), save it as repack.bat (or call it anywayyouwant.bat) file. launch, wait a bit, it will close automatically.

9. clsorens

clsorens Aquatic Astronaut

Don't know if it was there when you guys were having this issue, but don't need to download anything, there's already a batch file in starbound folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32 for me,) to execute "asset_unpacker.exe" just go to starbound\win32 wherever your starbound is saved and double-click "unpack_assets.bat" from windows

Finn Learson likes this.
  10. the_creeper_kid1

the_creeper_kid1 Intergalactic Tourist

well i did what you said ran it and it did not work. any way to trouble shoot it instant closeing?

11. Jaalte

Jaalte Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No matter how many methods I try I always get some kind of error. The few methods that actually work at all do not finish unpacking before the command line closes. I have used every suggested option in this post, yet nothing works. I am running as administrator, for the record. Whenever I run this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_unpacker.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\assets_unpacked"

The command line always gives me an error of:

Exception caught: DBException: DB content identifier does not match expected value of 'Assets1'

Any ideas?

12. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

try unpacking to a different directory... like maybe "C:\backup\starbound\assets"

The only thing I can think of. hmm...

13. Jaalte

Nope, Same error. This is fairly strange, as this should work. Perhaps it is an issue with my computer.

14. Jaalte

I've been trying other methods, but still to no avail. I looked into this possible being a problem with the actual asset_unpacker, but haven't been able to determine anything. As I stated before, it could be my computer. I am completely lost here. Any idea where I could possible find a solution?

15. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Try reinstalling starbound, or at least deleting packed.pak and verifying the game cache.

16. killinator

killinator Big Damn Hero

wait so does this still work couse i think i still got the old assets

17. Samuel_789

Samuel_789 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How Do You DO This WIth Windows 8?

18. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Akado likes this.
  19. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

No need to revive an outdated thread. Also thank you for answering the question @xxswatelitexx

Thread closed.

The | Suit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.