1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick guide to unpack your starbound assets folder

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Clockwork, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBGolden

JBGolden Void-Bound Voyager

Are you sure telling people to delete packed.pak is a good thing considering I think that's what all the assets are compressed into?

2. Annuschka

Annuschka Big Damn Hero

I have the same problem. Also Win8.1. Moreover I have the steam-apps installed on a microSD thing, wich I use as drive d:\ ... This led to similar problems with other programs in the past. And can be the problem... Or maybe not. Does not look like you are running the data from an SD... I guess I will try it on a Win7 PC for now...

3. Tilux

Tilux Aquatic Astronaut

This.

4. Tilux

Tilux Aquatic Astronaut

Getting the unpacked files from a friend since nothing is working. Oh well.

5. ClockworkMidnight

ClockworkMidnight Big Damn Hero

I got them unpacked just fine it's the packing and not having the game crash on launch that's my problem >.< i miss my modded matter manipulator, building was so much easier.

6. summitslaughter

summitslaughter Big Damn Hero

I'm having a file not a valid starbound file error. Will anyone help?

7. Tilux

Tilux Aquatic Astronaut

All issues resolved after deleting the full assets folder, verifying the cache with steam and then using MANUALLY IN CMD the unpacker. All files were sent a folder called unpacked in the assets folder. Pull everything from there into the assets folder and you should be gold.

oscardalek, Tamorr and Annuschka like this.
  8. JBGolden

JBGolden Void-Bound Voyager

Tell me if your modded pak file will launch. I tried editing the matter manipulator and it hung on the loading screen after I repacked it. Original pak file still works fine.

9. austin

austin Big Damn Hero

i found the issue, also using 8.1
    it appears you'll need to make the directory monually. (as in create a folder in assets called "unpacked")

10. RastaCalavera

RastaCalavera Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just to clarify, I downloaded your bat file (thanks btw) and let it run. After a minute or so, a new folder showed up in assets that said "unpacked". Everything was in this folder so I copied the files (333mb) and pasted them into the assets folder and overwriting any conflicts. Then I tried to edit the quest tutorial2 to try to give my character their gear back. WHen I made a new character and did the quest, nothing happened.....did I goof somewhere? Anyone else experience this?

11. Tilux

Tilux Aquatic Astronaut

Misunderstood as hell.
    Disregard post.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  12. Wolf1375

Wolf1375 Void-Bound Voyager

Furious Koala came out and I am trying this and it just doesn't do anything, no errors, no crashes, just sits there as a command prompt with the code inside, so as of Furious Koala, this does not work :(
    There is a assets_unpacker.exe in the win32 folder, but that opens and closes so :p

13. Onno

Onno Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Type in \ cd.. \ in the command prompt, it will kick you back a folder, then you can use CD <folder name> to go forwards.

If your Steam folder is on another drive, just type the letter followed by a colon \ X: \

[​IMG]

Edit: Also don't forget to put quotes around folders with space and such. This is required.

Tamorr likes this.
  14. Onno

Onno Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I also found this further up this thread, also helpful!

15. Onno

Onno Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Might want to go to the beginning, this thread is all about using that tool correctly. Those guys can explain it better.

16. Wolf1375

After messing around with the .bat and the win32 unpacker I eventually realized that the assets got unpacked so idk :/

17. Rhasq

Rhasq Void-Bound Voyager

Aw. Can't make my broadswords backwards now. *sad face*

18. Blacktoll

Blacktoll Void-Bound Voyager

So, I unpacked packed.pak using the tool that the OP posted. I dragged and dropped the unpacked assets into the correct directory and did a quick edit of the stone pick axe to see if it works.

It doesn't.

When I remove the packed.pak from the directory, to see if the game will use the unpacked assets instead and from what I can tell, it doesn't.

Do I have to pack the assets that I unpacked in order for the game to interpret them correctly? If so, how? I see that under Win32 there is a program called asset_packer.exe. When I run it, nothing happens. I've ran from CMD as well. Any insight into this would be rad.

19. Wolf1375

Same, I got it to unpack, but it doesn't work, I have tried everything, the asset_packer.exe, dragging edited files to mods with directory folders, copying edited files to assets folder!
    Help anyone :/
    (until of course the Creative Mod gets updated xD)

20. RastaCalavera

RastaCalavera Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.