1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick guide to unpack your starbound assets folder

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Clockwork, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyro

Lyro Seal Broken

Same way to repack it for Mods with the asset_packer.exe ?

2. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

I was very confused for a second there, friggin emotes.

Anyway, first run cmd in admin mode right clicking it before you open it and hitting run as administrator, then try navigating to the win32 folder first, then running asset_unpacker.exe.

you need a space between cd and C

Not sure, I haven't tested it out, haven't made any mods :P.

3. Truzzie

Truzzie Void-Bound Voyager

Ah ok ill give it a go, Yeah i ended up editing the post haha, Did not realise until after i posted it :p

4. Tini_weni

Tini_weni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel the need to ask for somebody to do a step by step guide cos all i'm getting is confused as well as many other players.

5. ClockworkMidnight

ClockworkMidnight Big Damn Hero

I've tried cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32
    cd C:\Program Files <x86>\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32
    cd Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32
    cd Program Files <x86>\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32

"They system cannot fine the path specified."

6. Clockwork

Okay so Kel^ has informed me of how to make a stupid simple batch file to just run this :zzz:.
    So just download this, put it in the win32 folder, run it and wait for it to unpack. It should end up in /Starbound/Assets/Unpacked.

7. Fiskewcrash

Fiskewcrash Space Hobo

My cmd opens and starts every line with C:\Users\Will (my name). How do I fix it?

8. Ariento

Ariento Phantasmal Quasar

I did it! No wait it didn't work :facepalm:
    Honestly, this is too hard. I'm just going to make a copy of the assets folder and upload it to dropbox.

9. Tini_weni

Ty Clockwork, Very Simple

10. Truzzie

Truzzie Void-Bound Voyager

Ah! That bat worked for me

Thank you so much ><

11. ClockworkMidnight

ClockworkMidnight Big Damn Hero

So after it makes the unpacked file can we just modify those assets to mod the game or do we need to paste them out into the normal assets folder?

12. Tini_weni

i assume we will need to repack it replacing the old packed file. how to do this is beyond me.

13. Lyro

Lyro Seal Broken

Hm my problem is on the next step :D - i cant repack it because i dont know how *lol* - same way dindt work - how can i say that the modified files packed in to a new pak file ... omg why they must pack it >.<

14. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I don't usually bother with the cd command.

I just use:
    "C:\Program Files <x86>\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_unpacker.exe" "C:\Program Files <x86>\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\Backup\Starbound\assets"

The last quoted one is where you want to put the unpacked folder. Also the last one does not need quotes because it does not have spaces. There are spaces inbetween each "" material

Syntax: Command(the exe file to boot up) (space) File(The file to unpack) (space) Destination(where you want the file to go)

Surround each in quotes if there are spaces in the Directory names.

Technically you could just cooy paste that first line above to have it create a assets folder in that location. If folder does not exist, it will create it for you; usually. That is how it works.

EDIT: This of course is for the windows version.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    Black__ likes this.
  15. Clockwork

To make a distribute-able mod you need to do a few things which are probably much better explained in an actual modding tutorial.

To just mod your own game you can probably just modify stuff and then re-pack it using the asset_packer.exe

16. Ariento

Ariento Phantasmal Quasar

About how long is the batch file supposed to take?

17. Lyro

Lyro Seal Broken

But How ... i tryd a lot of paths, nothing work

18. Clockwork

It took me 3 minutes, but it could take longer depending on your drive speed.

19. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

depends on your computer. It can vary, but quite a while... just wait until it finishes.

20. Clockwork

I would think the command is
    Code:
    asset_packer.exe <asset folder path> target.pak

Tamorr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.