Question about multiplayer huts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clovis_Sangrail, May 11, 2018.

1. Clovis_Sangrail

Clovis_Sangrail Subatomic Cosmonaut

Someone in another forum mentioned that they did not play multiplayer, but that they did build those player huts and use them like sheds to house kegs and preserves jars.

So I am wondering if this is a good way to get cheap storage buildings.

I haven't updated to the new version yet because it looks far too buggy at this point and I donl' want to kill my existing games, so I am hoping someone who has the update can help with some questions, to wit:

What is the footprint of the player huts? It looks in pictures like it is about 5 by 3.

What is the inside dimension? Same size as external footprint or larger?

Can I upgrade the player hut to get more interior space. (I like the way every building in this game is like the Tardis.)

Is there a bunch of crap in there that will get in the way of filling it full of kegs? If CRAP = 'Y', can I remove it?

How many kegs, preserves jar or whatnot do you think I could stuff in there.

Will Robin demolish these huts when I don't want them anymore?

Thanks.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I'm not sure what the sizes are but the cabins are limited to 3. You can't build more than that. The do present an interesting option since you can get one from the very start and the other two are cheap and can be built instantly, unlike every other structure.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

You can start a new game with 3 cabins.
        Exterior dimensions are 5x3.
        Interior is 10x7, minus bed(2x3) and chest(2x1) that can't be removed.
        They can't currently be moved or demolished in multi-player mode. That is reported to be changing before the release. In single player mode they can be moved and demolished the same as any other building.

As far as I understand they can't be upgraded.

• Clovis_Sangrail

Thanks.

So depending on where the bed and chest are located, sounds like one could probably squeeze 40-50 kegs, jars/whatever in there, which is pretty cost effective storage space early game, especially if one can store things in that chest.

Finally, something to look forward to with 1.3 for those who don't give a rat's behind about multiplayer.

That and those signs. I would really like to be able to label my rows of fruit trees.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Really? Because each of the cabins has three tiers of art for it in the game files-- basic, middle, and fancy-- so it stands to reason there's some plan to upgrade them.

Samples from the wiki:
            [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Plus an additional set of three stages for the 'Plank Cabin', but I think you get the idea.)

It seems likely that if they're not upgradable now (I cannot confirm this; I have played very little of the beta so far.) they will be at some point in the game. These may just be aesthetic changes to make them look nicer as your farm gets wealthier. It might not have anything to do with the interior dimensions in the same way the main house can be enlarged inside. (I gotta say from a personal standpoint I think the stained glass window is a bit over the top. Looks more like a chapel than a cabin by that stage.)

Erick648 and nevyn21 like this.
            • everfreefire

everfreefire Big Damn Hero

They can be upgraded by the person that owns the house in multiplayer. I can verify because I have upgraded once one a friend's file.

I assume that you need someone living in the house to do the upgrades, though, and I haven't seen how far they can be upgraded.

Erick648 likes this.
              • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Do the upgrades add additional room space inside, and if so, how much? Do they get kitchens, etc? as the main house does?

EDIT: Thinking it through, they would have to be upgradable to allow for marriage, wouldn't they? Singleplayer mode never allowed a farmer to get married until they had at least upgraded the house once, and they couldn't have kids without upgrading to the nursery tier. For them to allow multiplayer farmers to get married they'd need to follow the same rules, I'd think.

Erick648 likes this.
                • everfreefire

The upgrade I have is exactly like the tier 2 upgrade for the normal house. I did not test the kitchen (Other priorities) but it is the same size.

Did not test marriage, partially because we bugged the hell out of it testing to see if the game would let me marry her character when she was married (Answer: yes...With three marriage ceremonies in a row. :rofl:)

• Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

From what I've seen the cabins can get the first and second upgrade, but not the cellar.

• everfreefire

No cellar would kinda make sense. An additional cellar would be *amazing* but also rather abusable.

• Clovis_Sangrail

How many casks am I allowed to have before you consider it being "abusable"?

33?

75?

100?

125?

189?

I would submit that if the game offers a functionality, then one should be able to use it.

Without experiencing the censure of the morality police.

WilliamZ likes this.
                        • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Point of interest. The cabins aren’t upgradable by the player in non-multiplayer. Or at least I never got the option at Robin’s.

Erick648 likes this.
                          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Interesting to know. That might be to keep the player from using them for their internal space.

• everfreefire

I'm not trying to be the morality police. I'm assuming the fact that the casks are only allowed to work in the cellar the reason that they are only allowed in a limited quality, and doubling/tripling/quadrupling the amount you get would be a case of going too far in regards to something along these lines. I wouldn't care if all houses allowed it, but I get why they don't.

ManaUser likes this.
                              • Clovis_Sangrail

And yet your language is highly judgemental?

"Abusable" definitely carries some baggage and heavily implies that you do not approve of the practice being described.

How about something that is less of a value judgement -- "The devs may consider that allowing additional cellars would deleteriously affect play balance."

I am quite fine if it does not allow upgrades for additional cellar space, but all the same, I am going to examine the possibility, and I expect to be able to do so without the implication that I am an abuser.

• everfreefire

You mean like the entire thing I posted that you clipped the one part of, where I explained my train of thought?

Pscyon and ladymurasaki like this.