Modding Help Question about creating races

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Wynorra, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Wynorra

Wynorra Space Hobo

I'm currently working on a private race so I can start playing as my character.
    (Mind you I HAVE NOT played the game yet, I just want to start playing as my character so I'm making a custom race.)

I'm editing the human textures in the new race, and editing only one personality, then copying and pasting it in every other personality (so basically I'm making the race to only have 1 single option for the character to look, + only one clothing).

Now here's my question:
    I want only me, the player to be able to look like the character.

Does custom races generate NPCs using the "textures" the race uses?

If it does, is there any way to make it NOT generate NPCs of the Race I created (and replace it by like, human npcs or something)?

(I'm very sorry if this is a weird question, I haven't played the game yet and just watched videos and I'm making a mod to a game i've never played which may or may not be a good idea..)

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

most NPCs can be any race that is possible, when the exception of location specific NPCs (no florans in apex cities), penguins, and a few race-locked NPCs, for example Nuru is always race "nuru" (yes it is a separate race than florans)

3. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

As long as your race is a NEW race, and you're not just overwriting files, then your race should never spawn as an NPC. I know all the tenant files have code like this...

Code:
     "tenants": [
        {
          "spawn": "npc",
          "species": ["human", "apex", "avian", "floran", "glitch", "hylotl"],
          "type": "tenant_type",
          "overrides": {
           }
         }
       ],
    So, since your race wouldnt be listed there, it cant spawn as your race.

Wynorra likes this.
  4. Wynorra

Wynorra Space Hobo

ahh thank you so much for the answer!

But could you please write where I could find that code just to make sure everything is just like that?
    I prefer to be safe then sorry because I wouldn't want to have to change stuff WHILE playing so it won't create glitches^^

5. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

that is in all the tenant files, so open your assets folder and then go to the tenants folder. everyones is the same, unless the have a mod that changes it.