[PSA] Major Animal Bugs & Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shiverwarp, Oct 31, 2016.

1. G-Flex

G-Flex Void-Bound Voyager

I'm getting plain-quality eggs from chickens feeding outside in the Spring, even though in the Winter I was getting gold and iridium-quality eggs, plus large eggs and feathers from my duck... not to mention the other bugs which make me not even want to bother with some of the other animals that don't have deluxe-quality products.

This is pretty significant, and it seems like the bugs have been around for months. Has there been any update regarding a possible fix? Any mods that fix it? Anything?

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I'm pretty sure someone made a mod for it, but I'll have to find it.

I definitely notice now that it's been pointed out, if my chickens go outside and eat grass and I get to bed as close to 6 as possible, all large eggs the next day. If I go to bed late, either some or all eggs will be small, and some might even be missing. I had a lot of small or missing eggs in winter as well, it was almost a daily occurrence. I would like to see this get fixed as well - even though I'm making so much money now I barely notice the difference in daily income, it would still be nice to not be punished for not going to bed before the sun goes down.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
      • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

• G-Flex

• I noticed on the Xbox 1 version at least, that on year 2, the first couple days of spring, I got Iridium level animal products. After just a day or 2 no more. What I thought might have happened was that my animals were still super happy from winter, since I stay up until 1:50 am nearly every night, but in winter they love that.

I think there might be several conditions that overlap to cause this, it seems they might not have ability for iridium quality until year 2 since I acquired animals at all different times, but got iridium from all types, (not each animal, but at least 1 of each) for the first time spring 1 year 2.

I believe they probably need 5 hearts or high hearts, as the numbers of iridium drops were higher for coop animals which I built first, so theoretically they overall had the most hearts.

And then also mood, and possibility a combo of luck, as I got my first rabbit foot on the same day spring 1 year 2.

This is just my experience, perhaps it might give people some idea where to maybe look in the code. Or it could be random and irrelevant.

Cheers

• G-Flex

FloorCandy, having a heater available inside the coop/barn in winter skyrockets their mood. Consequently, even with a mod installed that generally fixes the other issues stated, I still get much better quality animal products (e.g. iridium-quality stuff) in Winter than I do in other months.

Basically, animal moods seem to be broken in a number of different ways that intersect in order to make us sad.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
          • Itshectic

Itshectic Space Hobo

CA gonna go all Bethesda on us. D:

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
            • Shiverwarp

Shiverwarp Starship Captain

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Good news indeed. :) I'll be happy to try my sheep farm legit.

• Shiverwarp

So apparently 1.2 released today, but the patch notes don't mention the animal bugs like were mentioned in the beta. Dunno if anyone has any news on it.

• cidrei

cidrei Void-Bound Voyager

A dev confirmed on the subreddit that the animal happiness bug was fixed, but they don't clarify what all that entails. No mention of why it's not in the patch notes.

• Shiverwarp

So everything has been fixed EXCEPT the gradual happiness decay from the farmer staying up late. It's a little frustrating because it basically results in mood being effectively worthless unless you're going to sleep immediately at 6PM.

I'm glad they fixed everything else, at least.

This basically means the decay after 6pm is intended. I was afraid of this, because if they wanted to change it they'd have to create a new way for animals to lose happiness gradually.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
                      ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                    • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

They could at least change it to 8 or 9pm. Who goes to sleep that early?

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Unless you're rushing probably not going to.
                        I find it disheartening that you're being actively encouraged to rush through and not enjoy days. I only play like that when too inpatient or depressed. The problem being if that starts to be too beneficial I'll never get out of it...Oh well. 3:

• Shiverwarp

Thankfully it's not nearly as punishing as it once was. I went through and checked the difference (Actual mood might be slightly higher because animals that were fed gain 4 to 16 mood depending on what animal they are, but this is only relevant for Quality rather than large/deluxe)

For rabbits feet (Or duck feathers), daily luck is involved. So at max friendship, max daily luck, and 150 mood (the mood level you'd be at for going to sleep late) you'd have a 30% chance of getting a rabbit foot.

If you went to bed at 6PM after the animals eating grass you'd have a 38% chance. So in this case it's not a huge deal, but if you have a large amount of these animals, that percentage adds up.

A cow or chicken at max Friendship and 150 Mood (the mood level you'd be at for going to sleep late) you'd have a 83% chance of getting Large milk or Large egg.

If you went to sleep at 6PM with the same max friendship animal, after it ate grass outside, you'd be guaranteed a Large product.

Quality is a little more complex, but just for the chance of Iridium you're looking at a 17% chance swing for going to bed early.

MouseyPounds likes this.
                          • Shiverwarp

Just a quick bump of this since the game has been released on Switch now, as well I got in touch with ConcernedApe and he said that the gradual happiness drain is NOT intentional, and that he's looking into it.

I don't really expect a quick fix though, since they still have bugs to iron out in the Switch release.

• Trucker_Torpedo

Trucker_Torpedo Void-Bound Voyager

This should be "bumped" into old threads regarding this issue, cause ive been reading and googling for a hole evening regarding animals happiness, and the affect of multiple heaters during winter. haha. several of those threads was last updated or posts where posted yearly this year, and dont take into account the newest patches.

Me personally, i rushed to get the community center year 1, and am now in summer year two, and i find myself overworked by tending the animals and their artison products, and tending crops both outside and the greenhouse (Not min/maxing, put rather setting myself up with a little stock off everything to process in winter(also, Loved Gifts for the Villagers, and to complete All acchievements Ingame as well as Steam)).

My "Farm-chores" usually are finished around noon/1-2 pm, a variable each day ofc depending if i have to harvest AND replant, or just harvest. I'm up to the point where im concidering scraping all animals, and just focus on crops/artisan products, cause i rarely get much time fishing and mining, and i tend to overuse the "journal-exploit" up past 2.am, just to get something other than farming done through the day.

I'm also in the process of "woo-ing" the valley's villagers, witch ofc takes alot of time each day(atleast the first few days of the week). I'm now up to the point where i give out bouquets to all the marriage-candidates, just so i can watch all the cut-scenes, before i decide who to share my house and final days with. (Not something i would do IRL tho!!!! :O )

This is the first time im putting effort into playing till year 3(and probably further 8D ), my other saves are usually not past winter y1, but im a watcher, and a reader and ive watched and read alot about the game since i first picked it up; also, all theses new additions/updates/patches have enhanced the game for me personally a ton.

All this knowledge made me finnish the Community Center 7th of Winter Year 1, and it was a "Run for my money", and a few (or many) days i exploited the journal-trick, just so i wouldnt lose precious money's.

When i'm "done" (want to start a new farm) with this Save, i'll "Ban" any exploits, and not focus too hard on "getting everything done at once", but take a laidback playstyle, not focusing too hard on anything than Profitzz!!! :D

So this helped me clear my chest of all my self-earned experiences, and i thank you all for that.

TL;DR what i got from this thread is, Animal "Bugs" have been fixed to a extent, not complete, but better than pre 1.12. One heater pr barn/coop should be enough. Did i get this right?

For those who read everything, First i thank you for your time, and an FYI, i suddenly went out of quests in my journal, and i fell asleep "like i should" at 2.am. Luckily i was inside my farmhouse, and did not lose anything. So, for those who exploit this, if you dont have any quests, you dont have a journal button to press with your mouse :p

Regards, Trucker_Torpedo, From Torpedo Industries "Kappa"

EDIT: Some typos, and a few emoticons less.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

As far as I know there is no additional affects from adding heaters. You only need 1 placed in any coop or barn.

• Jurk0wski

Jurk0wski Orbital Explorer

I was browsing the wiki for random info for a future playthrough, since I hadn't played in a while, and I ran across that the decreasing mood bug still exists, and I found this thread while googling the issue. I'm bored, so here's my crack at the currently exisiting bug. Assuming the code linked in the first post is how it currently is...

Code:
                                  if ((environment.IsOutdoors && timeOfDay > 1900) || (!environment.IsOutdoors && this.happiness > 150) || (environment.isOutdoors && Game1.isRaining) || (environment.isOutdoors && Game1.currentSeason.Equals("winter")))
                                  {
                                         this.happiness = (byte)Math.Min(255, Math.Max(0, (int)(this.happiness - ((environment.numberOfObjectsWithName("Heater") > 0 && Game1.currentSeason.Equals("winter")) ? (-this.happinessDrain) : this.happinessDrain))));
                                  }
                                  The main issue is just that there's not enough checks. I assume what this snippet of code is intended to do is check if an animal is outside past a certain time, indoors before a certain time, outside while it's raining, or outside while it's winter, and if so, reduce it's mood by a set amount every 10 minutes until the animal's situation is fixed. It also is intended to increase an animal's mood while indoors in winter if it has a heater before the set time it'd fall asleep. So it seems the main issue is that the initial indoors happiness check does not check to see if it's below a certain time.

Code:
                                  (!environment.IsOutdoors && this.happiness > 150)
                                  This can be fixed by adding a time check for before 6PM:

Code:
                                  (!environment.IsOutdoors && this.happiness > 150 && timeOfDay < 1800)
                                  Additionally, it seems to me that the heater check does not check to see if the animal is indoors, so it should also be checked.

Code:
                                  (environment.numberOfObjectsWithName("Heater") > 0 && Game1.currentSeason.Equals("winter"))
                                  Should actually be:

Code:
                                  (!environment.IsOutdoors && environment.numberOfObjectsWithName("Heater") > 0 && Game1.currentSeason.Equals("winter"))
                                  I can't actually remember if you can even place heaters outside of the coop/barn, but if you can, or if you somehow end up with a different object named "Heater" outdoors, it prevents the issue.

Finally, there's no check for animals that are indoors at any happiness level, not just above 150, with a heater in winter so this code:

Code:
                                  (environment.isOutdoors && Game1.currentSeason.Equals("winter"))
                                  should be adjusted to accept indoors animals before 6PM:

Code:
                                  ((environment.isOutdoors || (!environment.isOutdoors && timeOfDay < 1800)) && Game1.currentSeason.Equals("winter"))
                                  The final code would look like this:

Code:
                                  if ((environment.IsOutdoors && timeOfDay > 1900) || (!environment.IsOutdoors && this.happiness > 150 && timeOfDay < 1800) || (environment.isOutdoors && Game1.isRaining) || ((environment.isOutdoors || (!environment.isOutdoors && timeOfDay < 1800)) && Game1.currentSeason.Equals("winter")))
                                  {
                                         this.happiness = (byte)Math.Min(255, Math.Max(0, (int)(this.happiness - ((!environment.IsOutdoors && environment.numberOfObjectsWithName("Heater") > 0 && Game1.currentSeason.Equals("winter")) ? (-this.happinessDrain) : this.happinessDrain))));
                                  }
                                  The end result is as such: If the animal is outdoors and either the time is past 7PM or it is raining, or if the animal is indoors before 6PM in any season and has 150 or more happiness, or it is winter and the animal is outdoors or is indoors before 6PM, the animal's mood will shift. If, then, the animal is indoors with a heater in winter, the animal's mood will negatively reduce, resulting in a positive gain (since two negatives make a positive), never going above 255. Otherwise, if the above conditions were met, but either the animal is not indoors with a heater and it's winter, the animal's mood reduces over time, eventually reaching 0, unless they are indoors, in which case it will only drop to at least 150 (the actual amount may be lower depending on how much was drained in the last check). This also prevents animals from gaining mood with a heater indoors past 6PM, since animals would no longer qualify for the if statement, which makes sense, since they should be asleep or going to sleep soon. Animals would still be getting a ton of happiness over time in winter with a heater, but that could be seen as a feature rather than a bug for most people, but even that can be fixed with more checks in place.

Additionally, if you wanted to outright prevent mood gain from the heater in winter, but still wanted there to be repercussions for not having a heater, all you need to do is change

Code:
                                  (-this.happinessDrain)
                                  into:

Code:
                                  Brought to you by a bored person at 5 AM.

rkagerer and Stryder87 like this.
                                  • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

:eek: Props to figuring this all out.... I'm always impressed by coders. Wish I was better at it, but it makes my head and eyes hurt!
                                    I have a hard enough time trying to figure out why crops disappear when I have scarecrows out and there's been no rain!