[PSA] Major Animal Bugs & Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shiverwarp, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Shiverwarp

Shiverwarp Starship Captain

CA replied to my DM on twitter, so he is aware of the thread.

nevyn21 likes this.
    • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I think animal pregnancy may be broken too. Three seasons with my barn set up for it and not a single pregnancy.

• Shiverwarp

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Those numbers are super low. A barn with 11 animals would have a 6% chance after the 50% chance is rolled. That pretty well takes pregnancy off of the table for profit or for filling out a barn. :(

• nash579

nash579 Astral Cartographer

The mooddecrease after 6pm might actually be reasonable, after all pretty much all you do will probably make some noise,
          even riding a horse might screw up the schedule of your animals. I don't know if this should considered to be a bug.
          However it certainly should be communicated in marnie's book, if thats the case. The whole system however seems to be just weird.

P.s. I just tested something went for my usual routine, petting, letting outside. Closed the door immediately. At 6pm I left the farm and reentered it. Animals transwarp into their building immediately despite closed doors.

Next same deal but went to sleep immediately at 11am. Animals need to sleep outside without the ability to transwarp through closed doors.

This is obviously only a minor bug, I guess, but at least worth mentioning. Would be really usefull, If it is working as intended. You basically can not forget to close the door if you reenter your farm after 6pm (leaving your farmhouse does count).

P.s. my theory did obviously not calculated the skills of my animals. They dont need transwarp, they just walk straight through the closed door without the need to leave and reenter the farm. So aslong as I dont go to sleep before all do their freaky ghostwalkthing they can not sleep outside.

P.p.s. On my fifth day abusing my ghostanimals a random chicken was not able to warp past the closed door, despite me leaving and reentering like crazy for about an hour it just kept chilling in my blueberry field. Needed to open the door to coop leave the farm and reenter again to get her warpengine going. Use at your own risk minmaxers :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
          • Magistrella

Magistrella Big Damn Hero

Fun fact from someone living across a farm (and having played there as kid daily ^.~)

Cows sleep in shifts. You'd think now "what the hell is he talking about?"
            Hear me out ^^

The larger a herd of kettle is the safer it becomes. With the ability to reproduce how they need to, domesticated kettle started to sleep in shifts so the sleeping spaces are equally shared and a watch is always taking care of the herd. Here you'll ALWAYS see 2-3 cows lurking out of the lower barn door if someone or something is comming. No matter the time, no matter the weather. And the loudest noise are they actually themself, running around, stomping with their hooves etc. If you go too close at night the guards will start mooing like crazy and soon the whole stable will.

They still deliver each 35-45 liters of milk a day..... soooo from a RL perspective i would say that neither the human sleep rhythm or human noise actually makes a difference.

The one thing that is really different, tho: RL cows get milked twice a day - but... to balance that would be kinda hard, but i'd like that. Would make cows close as profitable as sheep ^^

ChaosAzeroth and Shiverwarp like this.
            • bobucles

bobucles Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The mood decrease after 6 is just silly. Why should cows get unhappy just because you are awake and not in bed? The whole system is just very fickle and maxing out happiness from a winter of open barn doors is clearly messed up.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
              • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I finally found some time to play again and I rearranged some animals around in my 6 barns to make a serious attempt at getting some pregnancies to happen. After about 5 days I managed to have two pregnancies in a row. I named my two baby sheep Mutton and Lambchops because I'm perverse. I'll be keeping track of the sell prices for my new baby sheep and how long they take to get to 5 hearts. The first day I could have sold Mutton (the first one) for ~2300g. The second day Mutton was worth ~2800g. The game keeps track of who the parent was for some reason too.

ChaosAzeroth and AprilPaeonia like this.
                • Zaflis

Zaflis Pangalactic Porcupine

I wasn't aware of this thread, but some of my animals are already 5 hearts and produce iridium star milk and eggs every other day.

But can you comment on this thing i do, that i let animals out in the morning but as soon as last one has stepped out i close the door. That way i don't have to come back to check the barn later at evening and just go straight home. Is there any happiness penalty in code to that? If it's just animal specific there shouldn't be any issues, because the animals themselves will clip through the closed door at 5-6pm. That's propably a bug though, but i don't complain...

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I know that animals will glitch through a closed barn door but I've only ever seen it with 1 or 2 slow animals after the doors were closed and the animation for returning had already started. Thats what you're seeing; the game checks what time it is and plays the animations. I would not consider that to be reliable because I've seen animals get stuck outside after the animation finishes and showed then go inside. Entering a barn and leaving it again shows where they actually are. I'd advise caution on leaving it closed after you let then out. It's hard to tell how long you'll get away with it.

• Zaflis

No i mean it happens with my deluxe barn and coop each with 12 animals. They all walk in through closed door. I can't test for a little while to be 100% sure since it's winter in my save. For what i'm very sure about is that i've never seen an animal to be outside in the morning, unless door was open.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I've never closed them until night so it's possible that the door status makes no difference. But if so it's definitely a bug.

• Shiverwarp

I haven't done extensive testing with the door phasing thing. It's definitely not 100% consistent, especially if they have a long path back to the building.

If you're willing to risk one being stuck outside randomly, it probably isn't a huge deal.

• Zaflis

Recorded it to youtube just for fun ;)

• Shiverwarp

I don't have the console versions, does anyone know if these bugs are still present there?

Probably the easiest one to test is the rollover bug

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I haven't gotten that far on the Xbox One version yet but judging from the couple of support threads that have popped up they seem to be present.

• Chrislocalboy

Chrislocalboy Seal Broken

There's definitely some issue on consoles as well, my chickens and cows go to the stage of producing iridium starrded eggs/milk daily and all of a sudden it stopped and I've not had an iridium starred anything for about 25ish in game days now.

Cows randomly don't give me milk either and egg laying is hit and miss..... Can't offer any technical insight or solid evidence but something definitely isn't right with animal happiness (all cows and chickens are at 5 hearts currently)

• Cpt Obvious1994

Cpt Obvious1994 Void-Bound Voyager

It definitely exists on console as well. If I go to sleep late, I never see Deluxe products, and going to bed at 6 gives me almost all Deluxe. And the rollover bug is there as well. Letting them out and then petting gives me the "fine" message, while petting then letting out gives me "really happy."

• Xenonex

Xenonex Void-Bound Voyager

Big thanks to you doing this! I definitely appreciate at least knowing what is or isn't working, and how to plan around it.

I realize it's a bit much to ask, but seeing as you have some experience looking into the game code, I was wondering if you knew whether a breakdown/list/explanation of the effects of the various Skills (Farming, Foraging, etc.) was available somewhere, perhaps already discovered by somebody and posted somewhere?

In my pursuit to find answers so far, I've ended up undertaking quite a bit of in-game testing, and have discovered at least 1 bug, but obviously it would go much faster, and with much greater comprehensive detail, if someone were able to just directly pull out what parts of the game are affected by the player's Skill Levels.

For example, here is a WIP breakdown of what I've personally been able to confirm for the various Skills:
                                      All Skills:
                                      Each level reduces associated tool energy use by 0.1 per use (to my knowledge, this is the only effect explained in-game)
                                      Buffs from + Skill foods can temporarily push the Skill past effective Level 10 (+ Farming Skill foods currently bugged) [Confirmed in my tests]

Farming:
                                      Each level improves the chances to harvest silver/gold quality crops [Confirmed in my tests]
                                      ??? Other effects???

Foraging:
                                      Each level improves the chances to harvest silver/gold quality forageables [Confirmed in my tests]
                                      Each level increases the amount of wood dropped from chopped trees [Confirmed in my tests]
                                      ???Other effects???

Fishing:

Every even level increases your maximum casting distance by 1
                                      ???Each level may increase the chance to catch silver/gold quality fish??? [Unconfirmed]
                                      ???Each level may increase the size of the green fishing bar??? [Unconfirmed]
                                      ???Each level may reduce speed / amount that fish "thrash about" whole catching??? [Unconfirmed]
                                      ???Other effects???

Mining:

???Each level may increase the chance find ore/coal/geodes when mining rocks??? [Unconfirmed]
                                      ???Other effects???

Combat:

Each level increases your maximum HP by 5
                                      ???Other effects???

• Shiverwarp

Thanks very much for confirming!

The best I can offer you is to join the stardew valley discord, some of the people in the Modding channel probably have more experiencing diving into the skill effect code than I. I only really looked into the animal stuff, and a lot of things aren't all located in the same place in the code, so sometimes it can be tough.

You might also find some more info in the discussion pages on the stardew wiki