Proposal for Villagers' AI Change

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Xylia, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So, it used to be that villagers got angry and attacked you if you had a weapon out.

Then CF made them invincible to your attacks until they get aggressive, which now only happens when you "steal" from their villages.

But there's a problem with this new AI behavior, because...

1). Robbing their chests isn't considered "stealing" which makes the whole "no steal" thing kinda moot,
    2). Villages can be found in areas where there's hostile weather that breaks blocks and picking up blocks angers the NPCs,
    3). NPCs will attack you for picking pretty much ANYTHING up, regardless if it was actually a piece of their village or not.

So, let's improve this, shall we?

Step 1: Make it so that ALL villages have a shield generator in them. These can be different objects that suit the village in question.
    Step 2: Make it so that if said generator is destroyed (it would obviously be in a safe location, probably underground and sheltered), NPCs go hostile.
    Step 3: Make it so that you can scan backwalls and foreground blocks to unlock them at the crafting bench (if it isn't like that already).

There we go, it fixes #2 and #3 and #1 is a meh thing that I don't think we'd ever be able to change, and I'm not sure I'd want it to change, because villages are the source of 80% of all MM and Upgrade modules in the game.

octoling, STCW262 and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I think there should also be more incentives (and risks) to commit crimes in villages, such as much better loot in chests and NPCs, as well as villager guards being much better equipped and scaled to their planet. Of course, should you die to a villager, I think it would be appropriate that all of the items dropped should be confiscated and put in some sort of secure facility.
    (Why don't we drop furniture anyway? Wouldn't it make sense that everything that isn't in your hotbars or armor slots should be dropped rather than just resources and general items?)