1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Post here if you are an XP user crashing at Chucklefish logo.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Suhr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AeonsAlex

AeonsAlex Phantasmal Quasar

If it's an access violation, could you try running it in admin? I don't know ._.

2. ooveNoIVIooJR

ooveNoIVIooJR Space Hobo

I just tried, nothing different. Doesn't mean other people shouldn't test, however

3. Fire_Spy

Fire_Spy Master Chief

Got the same stuff on my son's PC.. The patch notes don't mention the XP fix so I am guessing it wasn't a part of this update.

4. Cecilia

Cecilia Space Hobo

Same error as most here. Pre-patch, it hung on the Chucklefish logo forever, and now it's showing three different crash errors, the first of which "Access violation detected at xxx". I'm pretty sure the game is not working even though it is still running in the background.

Also, I thought running as admin wasn't a thing that exists in XP?

5. Tardisphere

Tardisphere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It was, sort of.

There's just a different problem now (at least, in my case.)

6. Hibiko

Hibiko Yeah, You!

so according the bartwe he got some progress done on the XP issues but he didn't get everything finished in time

7. loc978

loc978 Phantasmal Quasar

So, progress.

From the launcher crashlog: http://pastebin.com/482e7rr1

It got a lot further and is much more verbose this time. I notice it's referencing s C:/starbound/source/core/ directory (why forward slashes?) . Checked for it, there is no such place on my system HDD. Starbound is installed under D :\games\Steam\(default Steam subdirectories)... should I try moving it?

OpenGL crash log: http://pastebin.com/dUGGvquT

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  8. Fizzy Amp

Fizzy Amp Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah right now it gets updated but got received a error message as well..

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  9. Nivek38

Nivek38 Void-Bound Voyager

i get no error, i just am stuck at "loading"

10. Alphanos

Alphanos Orbital Explorer

No. That's a message relating to compile-time locations of source code files on the devs' machines. Moving your game won't help and is probably a bad idea.

For everyone else talking about the access violation error: admin mode won't help. "Access violation" can mean many different things. Some previously-reported errors with a similar message could be solved by admin mode, but that won't help for the current XP errors. In particular, the message I saw said that it was trying to read from address 0, which sounds like a null pointer error of some kind.

In other words, the violation in question isn't because you don't have authority to do what it wants. Instead, it's because the game is making a nonsense-request of your computer, which it very sensibly rejects.

11. Asferot

Asferot Void-Bound Voyager

Yup. Getting the same access violation error now after the update.
    But from log it really seems it loads up more stuff.

12. Asferot

Asferot Void-Bound Voyager

This. It really seems to be trying to read from null somewhere.

13. Scootaloo7896

Scootaloo7896 Space Spelunker

I have Win XP and it works for me!! I had to wait around 5 mins at the loading screen.

Only problem: It's lagging pretty hard. I will try safemode now. Will report if it worked or not in a few minutes ;)

14. Suhr

Suhr Astral Cartographer

Please say exactly what you did, that would help monumentally.

Did you get any errors the time you was able to get it?

15. loleq80

loleq80 Space Spelunker

16. Scootaloo7896

Actually nothing... I just started the game and it worked... There where no errors.

Safemode gives me errors and stops working.

17. Jeed

Jeed Space Spelunker

When did you download the game?

18. Yubi Shines

Yubi Shines Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Scootaloo7896, what does your starbound.log look like?

19. Avarice

Avarice Void-Bound Voyager

Same exact errors as loleq80 above. It seems pretty obvious that everyone with xp is having the same issue.

---

The devs couldn't be bothered to test Starbound on a single windows XP machine prior to launching the beta?

Yet they list windows XP as supported without even testing it..brilliant.

There is another game called Edge of Space (similar game) that launched with windows xp support and then removed it right after. The devs couldn't get it to work on windows xp because 3rd party tools they used to develop the game no longer supported the OS.

I have a bad feeling the same situation could be playing out here. :(

murdog likes this.
  20. Scootaloo7896

The game itself on dec 4th at around 10.30 AM :D The update 30 mins ago. Why??

21. Shinae

Shinae Contact!

I couldn't wait until xp fix. I went and bought windows 7. Game runs fine now. I got 4 days off from work and wanted to play, so yeah happy now. No crashes or big issues. Hopefully xp bug gets fixed soon. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.