Portabrain: Scientist in a Jar.

Discussion in 'The Monster Monster Contest' started by Fabraz, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Owl24

Owl24 Big Damn Hero

How did you make it so good though?

2. blumchen

blumchen Astral Cartographer

do want! this is so nifty!

3. beeper23

beeper23 Void-Bound Voyager

Wow runner-up VERY least if not winner.

4. Mercurypelt

Mercurypelt Void-Bound Voyager

well done !!! :D

5. Fabraz

Fabraz Void-Bound Voyager

You guys are all awesome, thank you! *smile*

6. Chaostos

Chaostos Void-Bound Voyager

This one is brilliant, I really want it to win :)
    it can be so much frustration\fun to catch that bastard one day, and chase him over the galaxy. Brings so much nostalgia from sci-fi movies\games like Stargate, Star Trek, Fallout :D
    Also I hope it would be rewarding (like some unique teleportation or life\restoration device, etc).

amazing, I hope you win ! :geek:

Fabraz likes this.
  7. ZBR

ZBR Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so I thought I was doing pretty good competition-wise but then I stumbled upon this thread and just thought 'fffffffffffffffffffffffff'
    Great job with this!

8. Fabraz

Yeah, hence my idea for the "teleportation thingie-majigg device". *grin*

Whoops, must have overlooked your comment. I can't answer in terms of quality as it is subjective (Thank you though!) but I can tell you how I did it technically. It's rather simple:
    1. Photoshop, new file, very small scale 200px by 200px maximum. (For pixelart)
    2. Create BG Folder that contains all the background & window layers
    3. Create Sprite Layer with each animation frame saved as a seperate layer.
    4. Open Animations window, create as many frames as needed, set time to 0.3sec and each frame highlighting one individual animation frame.
    5. Go to File < Save for Web & Devices, increase the resolution to anything you want, I suggest 500-600px so that it's big an viewable & save it as a .gif.

Voila, done! Good luck. :)

9. Maplestrip

Maplestrip Existential Complex

Very nice suggestion. I would love to see this one in-game, and I love the random encounters (I would laugh my *ss off to find this thing inside a denagerous magma cave), though I'm not completely sure about it's drops or the use of catching him. I guess we'll see when'the game is finnished ; ) (possibly)

10. downstroypvp

downstroypvp Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Clever Idea dude. I like the teleport thing, kinda reminds me the old days of pokemon...

11. Maplestrip

Maplestrip Existential Complex

Portabrain = Abra :rofl:

12. downstroypvp

downstroypvp Scruffy Nerf-Herder

:p I was thinking of those three teleporting monster of the diamond sery (I think). You just have one turn to get them before they randomly teleport somewhere in the map. They drove me mad at the time.

Anyway the art is really cool.

13. Fabraz

Haha, true, true. However this crazy fool wouldn't even engage you in battle, he'd literally scream and run away. Perhaps dance silly to taunt you if he thinks he's safe, all to the point where he then simply teleports away.
    *Shakes his fist towards the sky* PORTAAAAABRAAAAAAAINNN!!!!

*Edit* For spelling errors. :I​