Please Implement A Warp Beacon, Doing Anything Underground Is Tedious Without It

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Pizzarugi, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

You bring up good ideas, and definitely these are ways to get back above ground without incredible amounts of time spent, but I think your signoff is really sending the wrong message.

The point of creativity is that everyone does things differently. Differently from you, differently from me, differently from what the devs thought was going to happen. Thus, there really is no way to play Starbound wrong. There are ways to play it inefficiently or ineffectively, but these aren't wrong. They just aren't how you would want to play the game. That's okay, because everyone has different situations, different things they enjoy about Starbound or games in general, and different time constraints.

Enot likes this.
  2. Spatial_Pioneer

Spatial_Pioneer Void-Bound Voyager

Excuse me, it was wordy.... to rephrase;

If you bug the developers to fix something you haven't fully explored, than you're doing beta wrong.

3. Virtual Trident

Virtual Trident Starship Captain

Though all of the other things you mentioned are indeed viable tactics, logging out isn't a game mechanic, it's a way to get out of the game, and it should stay that way. It also renders all of the optioned you mentioned above needless.

The way I see it, you're playing the beta wrong if you're using something other than the game mechanics to achieve something.

4. Spatial_Pioneer

That's...That's not even what I do. That was merely me trying to get off the topic of logging out, because as you said...renders actual methods obsolete.

Can I be done here? I really don't feel like debating a topic I've noted on several occasions to be trivial. Can y'all stop quoting me and just have a discussion amongst yourselves? I'm feeling really antagonized at this point.

5. Enot

Enot Subatomic Cosmonaut

This concept has been incorrectly associated with it as a get out of jail free card, while some of posters who read and continue to read the thread may want this, many of us would prefer to _NOT_ have a get out of jail free card. We want the logout system "fixed" to prevent abuse, and we want mechanics developed in the future (concurrently with logout system changes) that allow return to the surface/ship, that do not immediately remove you from danger.

These are all things that should be part of early game play, absolutely, what many of us would desire is not early on but later on when the novelty/danger/difficulty/fun of digging back has worn off, while some will still enjoy it, they have the freedom to continue to do it. Those that do will of course have more opportunities of discovering sub surface areas as they continue to dig around to return to the surface.

Again, agreed early game learning this and doing this all should be part of the survival and "progression", just as players must improve their equipment.

Like has been stated, this shouldn't be a "removal", but an alternative.

An excellent point, lets allow the devs to be creative with this, as creativity is the spice of the universe in this game.

It's a different option, the ongoing development of sub surface areas actually make this a decision point for players, "do I want to explore in this fashion, or would I like to return because I'm done".

This quotation is really the only thing directed at you, you don't "need" the last word if quoted, or require a response. You've made it clear where you stand on the issue. No one is holding you here, and you're not required to respond. If you feel so antagonized, it likely is best to hold off from posting.

This is pretty key to this, when we look at things, and some other available equipment/progression, early in the game we are a bit restricted, creativity can still go a long way but our tools have some limitation. As the game unfolds, we should continue just like with the world and access to it have access to more tools.

It's really very similar to items like the bubble boost, it modifies and gives variety in gameplay. One could argue that it trivializes surface exploration along with avoiding some puzzle mechanics. But it gives players an option and flexibility to pick another item to use, it gives some a tool that is perfect for their desired play style, while others perhaps not. I think what is being asked for here by many is similar to the bubble boost... another tool. We've given examples of how people are trying to replicate what the tool could accomplish, given other games mechanics as examples, but ultimately this is to give examples of how the tool might function and how it has successfully been implemented in other games. This shows precedent that it is absolutely a possibility and something players are seeking. Just like players sought and wanted the ability to expand their ships.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Akado likes this.
  6. Spatial_Pioneer

Yeahhh.... like that. That was exactly what I meant.

7. Closing this. It's getting a little too hot in here.

If you guys want to continue the discussion, you are welcome to recreate the thread at a later date -- so long as you can keep it civil. :coffee:

Spatial_Pioneer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.