1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

playing with house rules

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Corleone, May 12, 2019.

1. Corleone

Corleone Subatomic Cosmonaut

I started a new game playing with some self imposed house rules to bring out more of the adventure aspect of the game. Anyways I'm having such a great time so I wanted to share :) X3X3

-No Teleporters
    I cant place flags or use teleporters. Only beaming down from the ship.
    The outpost I can only access through ancient gateways on lush planets. This gives core fragments back its purpose.
    This means to revisit places I have to actually travel there with the ship via bookmarks in the cockpit.

-Only jump one adjacent system at a time
    Jumping only one adjacent system at a time gives the galaxy a feeling of distance travelled. It takes a while to get to places and I need to have fuel prepared.

-Crafting Tables have to be in static location
    No carrying around weapon table and pixel printer for quick use. I have to put these items in a certain place to which I have to return to if I want to use them. On my ship I only have an architect table so if im out exploring I have to build the table I need and place it in a logical way on a planet before I can use it. After I have to leave it there.

-Torches
    Torches have to be placed on a pole or wall post. One vertical line of ornate wood is what I use. You often need to remove background blocks first.
    This small time delay prevents from spamming torches when exploring and also makes the place look more realistic in the end.

These rules give the galaxy a sense of geography and creates a feeling of distance and adventure.
    I have my homeworld on a lush planet with a highway leading from my house all the way to the ancient gateway for when I want to travel to the outpost. On a planet three systems away is a small avian village which I visit sometimes and do missions for them. To get there I need to do three jumps, beam down on their planet and then walk left from the spawn point. Luckily its not far and it always feels nice to do that journey.
    Whenever I go out for adventuring I know that however far I travel I need to travel back at some point. Sometimes Im gone for ages and when I get home it feels like I was off exploring a far away place.

Anyways that's all let me know what you think and maybe share some of your own house rules if you have any?

Pangaea likes this.
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Neat ideas. I'll have to try them my next play through.

I had a similar idea. Usually I just put everything on my ship but I thought of actually having a homeworld where all of the stuff would have to stay. I'd have to revisit it to craft anything.

I'm not too fond of this idea. It seems like more of a hassle for early game before you have light augments. It's eventually null unlike the other ones.

Corleone likes this.