1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Dev Blog Plans for updating Risk of Rain.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pastuleio, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Pastuleio

Pastuleio Risk of Rain Developer

Enot, gamerzap, Ixantir and 6 others like this.
  2. DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now we know what the point was with this secret area in Desolate Forest! I already started wondering where other artefacts could be hidden.
    Also I'm very curious about the highscore runs in general. It's always cool to set new personal highscore but I'd like to compare my plays with other people. Also, it's obvious the players can just go looping again and again gaining super-duper lots of score and it becomes just a marathons not actual challenges. Maybe special dedicated artefact which will not let player to loop at all to prevent looping abuse?

Pootis Sandvich and joey4track like this.
    • joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

I also think there should be something done about infinitely looping levels if we are going to get into high scores and such. It's not skill that prevents me from getting the highest score I can, it's that at this point in the game getting a HS has more to do with if you feel like playing RoR for 8+ hours. IE, Once you get to the point where you are invincible then basically the only way to die is to commit suicide on purpose as you become godly after awhile. This doesn't necessarily prove your skill, just your willing to keep going through the motions while you rack up points.

I think a solution to this would be to limit the amount of times you can cycle through the stages. Three sounds good enough to me. What do you guys think?

• reVelske

reVelske Pangalactic Porcupine

^ I don't think this is the place to be providing suggestions. Either way, if people want to loop for hours on end just to enjoy absolutely decimating everything, why stop them? I don't personally find it particularly entertaining but I understand the charm, though some new difficulty scaling would be neat, increasing the rate at which bosses spawn stops being effective a few stages in.

Anyways, glad to see more features on its way for the game!

• P.Alex

P.Alex Industrial Terraformer

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's easier way: do not count runs that are looped. Only those ones which come straight to final fight ASAP. Allow Boar Beach usage to get another third level just because it adds to run time and should reduce score if not performed fast enough.

• Psychopath12

Psychopath12 Tentacle Wrangler

There are a number of things that can be done to take into account stage looping without completely isolating those players from being qualified.

There can be diminishing returns for long runs. The score formula could scale downward if your completed stages count exceeds 5. Score could completely ignore anything that happens after the HAHAHAHAHA mark except for the Providence fight. I'm hardly scratching the surface but you get the idea, there can very easily be higher rewards for moving swiftly, but smaller and smaller rewards for spending 10 hours grinding once you've attained demigod status.

The scoring formula would require finetuning since these are simply rough ideas, but it's something to work with.

And to be honest, I've never once considered the score to be an important part of any run. When I reach the endgame screen it's more of a "yeah whatever" feeling than that rush you feel when you get on the highscore list on an arcade cabinet. Each run is different enough from each other that having a singular scoring mechanism won't properly compare the two; someone could bumrush Providence with minimal items or they could meticulously acquire all of the items and destroy bosses like tissue paper. Are they both equally impressive? That's entirely subjective and not possible for an objective scoring system to reflect on properly unless a lot of thought and detail went into its formula; frankly I'd rather have the two of them focusing their efforts on content than on refining a scoring system that feels more like an afterthought.

Lost in Nowhere and Corrupt Ai like this.
            • needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Since the game is about killing enemies before they overwhelm you, the scoring system could measure not the total score ( = total amount of monsters killed), but score divided by run time (that is, the speed at which you dispose of enemies). That way, a 60-minute run could stand much, much closer to a 360-minute run than if you compared total scores, because the system would compare not the total power that you've accumulated over the levels, but the pace at which you were accumulating it.

SPLlT likes this.
              • SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

The time multiplier would have to be logarithmic in the way that scoring 28 minutes or below would be a godly score, while 40 minutes would be an average score. Anything above 45 minutes will be moving into the "grinding" section of scores.

• bboyforever

bboyforever Orbital Explorer

• SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

Well if sniper needs a lot of work, the bandit needs a huge amount of work. (Neither of them really do.)
                  Both classes just need a slight change to their damage modifiers to help them handle groups better.

• Valerie Valens

Valerie Valens Void-Bound Voyager

• Half

Half Industrial Terraformer

I'm doubting it but...

Will the people who bought into beta get to enjoy these artifacts a little earlier than everyone else?
                    Also, will we get a small reward?

• fatihG_

fatihG_ Lucky Number 13

All I am interested in is proper matchmaking. T_T

Wasd_wasd likes this.
                      • blackflytr

blackflytr Orbital Explorer

how long we have to wait D:

• TPXL

TPXL Orbital Explorer

This no update business is getting really old.

Can we get a status report? I get it if you're busy, if you got exams or if you're just plain lazy, just give a status report.

Mikerlantz likes this.
                          • Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

I hope we get this update eventually. I'm looking forward to something that will bring me and my friends back to the game for quite a few more hours. :)

• HeyLuke

HeyLuke Space Hobo

Risk of Rain sometimes updates their twitter with some information, if you're looking for status updates.
                              Latest interesting thing on there is the Artifact sprites posted on Februari 18th. pic.twitter.com/1Teqx4atTf

Really looking forwards to this update! It'll be interesting to play the game in these new modes. Also bring on the item hunting! :D

• blackflytr

blackflytr Orbital Explorer

is there yet a full changelog text?

• reVelske

reVelske Pangalactic Porcupine

Mutator has been secretly implemented already without any patch notes! Gonna post some screenshots in an appropriate mutator thread in a sec.