1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Personal Headcanons

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tyle, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Photoloss

Photoloss Industrial Terraformer

Except it's perfectly plausible the Hylotl had FTL and the Floran simply chased them off all planets they'd colonised minus some small outposts which weren't self-sufficient. One thing that feels off about your version is that the Hylotl would have to either develop their own FTL or steal it off the Floran, therefore acknowledging some merit to their capabilities. Or helped out by a third party I guess but that'd be a similarly massive hit to their pride.

2. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

To be exact, what I pictured was the Hylotl finding the ship Floran's used. Which was, naturally, originally a human cruiser. Once they discovered it, they'd analyze it and based on those discoveries, eventually design their own space vessels. They'd immediately be able to tell that the ship was not a Floran achievement, so it's clear Florans wouldn't be given much credit.

3. Photoloss

Except in the previous lore Floran actually reverse-engineered spaceship tech from the original crashed vessel, ergo they'd be fielding an entire fleet of (makeshift) self-made ships. Even the player ship, while using large chunks from other cultures, is clearly assembled into the complete product by the Floran themselves. And with how haughty the Hylotl are even towards non-Floran they'd still dislike the idea of copying some else's invention, at least if they only found it after the war was mostly over.

The Purple Dragon likes this.
  4. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Makeshift ships that still clearly used the engines of someone else's design. They'd surely be less than thrilled about the actual vessels.

Actually, Hylotl tend to generally appreciate humans, seeing them as another civilized and peace-oriented species. Numerous Hylotl NPCs show fondness of human culture, often bringing up human poetry and literature. The first non-human Grand Protector was a Hylotl, too. There's a certain bond between the two species, and I'm sure they wouldn't have much issue acknowledging human ingenuity when they see it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2017
  5. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

I have seemed to notice that they do favour human players. It was likely because they attempted to diplomatically approach the Hylotl during first contact.

6. Photoloss

Except there wouldn't be any sign of human culture on those ships, just disjointed pieces of multi-coloured scrap all of which should be completely alien to non-spacefaring Hylotl. Unless they made contact with the other species previously they wouldn't even know how much was Floran tech from different factories/inventors/clans/whatever and how much was actually stolen.

7. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

I think the humans may have arrived on the Hylotl homeworld, contacted the Hylotls in some way and helped get rid of the Florans, and this is why the Hylotls now accept and train warriors.

8. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

http://starbounder.org/Report_on_Rebel_Bases

In my mind, this is not wholly true, but a mix of partial truth, propaganda and paranoia. Yes, actual rebel activity is very widespread. But this memo is not just intentionally overstating the scope to rile up the government into stricter actions... but that the definition of "rebel activity" is so f***ing broad that a wholly-committed-to-Big-Ape citizen can accidentally perform an act of rebellion without even realizing it and keeping the populace in fear Whistling on a Tuesday? ONLY REBELS DO THAT. More than one book club has been Indefinitely Detained.

And many a citizen has been picked up for innocuous behavior, detained for a bit, scared out of their minds, and eventually told that the local Miniknog commander (always unnamed) had a Personal Talk with Big Ape and the Glorious Leader felt they should show mercy (this time) and let them go with a "warning" and a simple 10... no, wait, let's make that 20% garnishment of their weekly banana rations. And that citizen is so grateful for Big Ape's generosity and promise to never be bad again, even if they're not sure how exactly they were bad initially. And next week there's extra banana cream donuts in the local Miniknog break room.

(I wish this form of fascism wasn't looking less and less cartoonish every day.)