1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue performance issues in the unstable?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Gensou Ichida, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Gensou Ichida

Gensou Ichida Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i've been having performance issues since the new unstable was pushed out. granted, i've been having these issues with the nightly build, but they still seem to persist in the newest unstable.

ingame, i'm getting very slow FPS and keyboard input responses (when i press space to jump, it takes a second for the character to jump). this is a problem even in the menus. i'm not sure if it's because my computer is low-spec; other people have been reporting similar performance issues with higher-spec machines, and the current stable build runs just fine on my machine with little framerate issues.

specs:
    videocard: ATI Radeon HD 4200
    video RAM: 256 MB
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 645 Processor
    CPU speed: 3.1 GHz
    RAM: 8GB

performance issues occur with both the 32x and 64x versions, regardless of whether vsync or rendersleep are toggled off in the config files. there doesn't seem to be a frameskip option in the config files either.

hopefully this'll be addressed when 1.0 comes out. really hoping to play this game <3

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

This is a result of unstable/nightly. The devs are focusing on content additions over performance and functionality at the moment. When 1.0 launches, compatibility and optimization comes next.

Don't worry, your computer can run Starbound perfectly fine. I've run lagless on worse computers.

Gensou Ichida likes this.
  3. Gensou Ichida

alright. yeah, i figured performance stuff would be improved a heck of a lot once 1.0 comes out, but sometimes i can't help but worry, y'know? O:

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  4. ReonPG

ReonPG Tentacle Wrangler

I sure hope so because they said in the stream that the game was noticeably faster and I'm not noticing it.

5. BlazeX

BlazeX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

6. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

I doubt that they covered comprehensive optimization in one update. I find it highly likely for there to be some exceptions to people's machines. That's why I say to wait for post-1.0 optimization. That way we know a majority of the team is dedicated to optimization over finishing to full-release.

7. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I can confirm that regular Unstable actually seems to run slower than Nightly did on my machine.

8. Gensou Ichida

just played a bit of 1.0 and yeah, the issues i've stated are still present in the 1.0 build. :(

chucklefish, please fix this soon. i've been dying to play this for ages. ;o;

2nd Lieutenant Raoni likes this.
  9. Gensou Ichida

apologies for the bump/double-post, but several weeks going, i'm still having the same performance issues i mentioned a while back, even after several updates.

i'm not sure if they're already working on optimizing it for low-end systems but i'm having sincere doubts about it, unfortunately :(

i'm not buying a higher-end computer unless someone wants to give me the funds for it. just. please give me an explanation as to why glad giraffe ran fine but cheerful giraffe runs awfully on my computer. i'm not trying to lash out hate. i just desperately want a game i've waited years for, that ran perfectly on my rig in the past, to have its 1.0 run well on my computer. just. please.