1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

People Rushing for Getting Beta Test and Moderator Rights.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kjulo, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

Sokina! I am pleasantly surprised by your exposition.
    Kudos to you.

2. Kjulo

Kjulo Subatomic Cosmonaut

The thing about beta Testing; You will still have played the game in a unfinished state and therefore will have lower entertaiment value. And i am aware of the fact that beta testing is to test.

And about moderating; Constantly working to stop bad users from being bad or getting in is a hard and painful process, that will mostly lead to you being unpopular when they finnaly win, you cant fight it, no. matter. what. You can slow it down, or reduce it drasticly, but you cant stop it forever.

3. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

That's just depressing... that also hasn't been my experience with it at all either.
    I guess all I can say is that I'm glad I've never been to the forums that convinced you that this is the way it always is everywhere no matter what. The only truth is that whenever humans are involved nothing is ever a universal truth.

Jermex likes this.
  4. Kjulo

Kjulo Subatomic Cosmonaut

Then The universal truth of no universal truths cancel itself out, but that would mean that the universal truth would come back because of the lack of.. where did that black hole come from?

In all seriusness; It isent all that universal, most forums die out or shut down before it can hit lower phases.
    And i will make this clear again; i never state this happens in a short time span, it can take years and sometimes even move back up in tiers.

5. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

While I would love to be a Beta Tester, I'm just posting at my own pace here. I would never want to be a moderator though, because I would probably end up screwing up.

6. Actually, I'm pretty sure that the "Yes, but we're not sure how/when..." part has been there since the site was put up. As for being a moderator being a second job, it depends how you look at it.

7. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Why am i here? Because this place is full of cool people. It's like how MCF was before it was famous.

I do not have high opinions of the present average MCF user.

8. Hydrae

Hydrae Cosmic Narwhal

Beta testing would be fun, but I aim to post like I do on any other forums, when I feel I actually have something to contribute or speak my mind about the subject. It'd be cool to help the process of development but as long as I don't die first, I can honestly say waiting for the release of the game is not a problem.

As for moderating I'd never want that job. I've been placed in leadership positions before offline & online, and I can tell you I'm too nice of a person to enforce anything. I never want to be a manager no matter what job I take. The same thing goes for online, even with the anonymity it provides. I want people to be happy & content with their lives, no matter their personality. Jerk, not a jerk. It's all the same to me so I don't want to step up and tell them the way they're behaving is inappropriately. As long as they're having fun, & not at the expense of others because really they're insecure & they're making fun of people to make themselves feel better, I'm game.

9. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

You read my mind my friend.

10. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Posting for moderator? Everyone knows quality > quantity makes a moderator. My posts are less quality so I have an extremely low chance. And beta testing isnt used correctly anymore, its more like you get to play the game earlier.

KatamES likes this.
  11. Klokinator

Klokinator Big Damn Hero

Doesn't work like that, not for me anyway. I hate losing and I sure as heck ain't gonna let a bunch of spammers and trollers ruin the fun for everyone else. And getting rid of said undesirables is definitely a good thing and only leads to people respecting you more, unless they're trolls and spammers themselves, hu hu hu.

12. T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

I have to say I hate being a beta-tester. It ruined 90% of minecraft for me, watching cool ideas get turned to crap, removed or changed to something that's not even what the community liked. It also gave me insight to the end-product where cuts where made, like the lack of villager AI at 1.0 and many multiplayer glitches that are so obvious. See if I just got the game on release day I wouldn't notice this stuff and just played happily along.

I beta tested several games, and most of them I didn't buy because the devs didn't listen to useful input from the community. They just took all the praise they could get and kept making what they thought the community would like. I'm not saying that this is what will happen to Starbound, I believe the contrary, but I got some piss-poor past experiences with other devs being closed-minded (it's my game and I make it like this) but if asked for honest input I'll still give it.

13. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As much as i would love being a moderator, or even better, a beta tester, i have to admit that there are people far more worthy than me, besides, spamming for the title shows desperation, which means: THIS GAME IS FREAKING EPIC!!!!!!!
    But yea, it would be pretty sweet...

PS: Being a moderator is a awesome title, since everyone(ok most people) respect you.

14. Leon

Leon Void-Bound Voyager

There is truth in this but it can't apply to all people. I would love to beta test for the game and I'd be uneasy about being a moderator but ill post at my own pace in threads I'm interested in.

15. Kelp

Kelp Big Damn Hero

Well a lot of people are posting on the "Want to be a moderator?" thread. Although I wouldn't say it's a bad thing and I doubt they would pick someone who clearly only posts to be a moderator. Being a moderator... while it can be quite a busy workload at times I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's a second job, the main problems being a moderator is the fact that you can be victim to nasty people or just plain exposed to lots of negativity. Wrong decisions? All part of human error, just don't make hundreds of them and make sure to own up to all of your mistakes and you'll be fine.

Beta testing... Well there is a high possibility that you may have to sign a few legal things that would prevent (or even punish) you from leaking. I'm guessing there would be an age restriction. If not then good luck to all, just remember to do your job.

Well not in my books. People earn it through their actions, it just happens that most moderators are respectable people in the first place :up:.

16. Klokinator

Klokinator Big Damn Hero

It's like this:

Power does not corrupt, it only attracts the corruptable.
    Moderators don't equal respect, they simply attract the respectable.

Something like that anyway.

17. Tamarama

Tamarama Guest

If people are participating more in the community and actually adding worthwhile content and actions, I'm not really sure it matters what their motivation is, because it still benefits the community.

If they are just flood-posting to get their post count up, without having much to say, that's pretty transparent, and I doubt the devs will be taken in by it more than anyone else who's watching. I doubt that "participation in the community" will be based on post count alone. And anyone who's posting insincerely is ultimately wasting their time.

I've seen a couple threads on this topic, and I think that people are overly worried. I assume most the people here are psyched about the game and acting in good faith, otherwise why would they be here? If their post count goes up a little, all the better as long as they have something interesting to say.

18. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

As far as Beta Testing goes personally I wouldn't want to try it, but that's jsut because I want to experience the full on action of the game itself. :)
    For mod's... There are perks to being mods, and one of the big ones is: Respect. As long as you're not a complete douchenozzle. You could act like some normal member and people would probably notice your post more then others. What causes people to respect mods more? Probably that they can ban or other things, I don't know, but it's true. I've seen it on these forums, I've seen it on TO, and I've seen it on some bigger websites. Moderators just get more respect, even if they don't deserve it sometimes.

19. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

I'm going to quote myself from another thread:

If people want to prove themselves good material for moderators, let them try. If people want to involve themselves with the community on the hopes that it'll increase their chances of getting beta, let them try. *Anyone* who breaks the rules about post spamming will get dealt with, regardless of who they are, why they came here, and how long they've been here. This is the important part of the quote above - "Get them involved. Interact with them. Give them a reason to stick around and genuinely participate." Complaining about the situation is one thing; you, as users, have the ability to mold perceptions and interactions for the better.

Vargus, TheEnderman and Jermex like this.
  20. Pentekont

Pentekont Orbital Explorer

Why not give every registered forum member a chance to win a beta access, do it like a lottery.

Maybe do it like Starfarer, Red Orchestra 2, Sins of the Solar Empire: Rebellion developers with early beta access with pre-order.

It might be good to give EVERY forum member access to the beta version, there is 3000 people registered and assuming 50% will participate in the beta it is still nothing compared to the number of people that will join when/if this game goes on steam. It would help testing the stability of the game with a lot of people. If there would be access to a good feedback/creativity tool the beta testers can input a lot of good ideas and improvements in many areas of the game.

Also if the game is as good as we really think, it can create addition hype for future buyers. This game should be promoted in the beta phase, with videos posted on you tube and interest generated by people like Total Biscuit and other online casters. You as the developers want the game to be successful which equals good reviews and good sales.

BTW.... GIVE ME THE BETA ACCESS! ;D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.