1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Partial Screen on Start Up

Discussion in 'Support' started by Magistrella, May 2, 2017.

1. Magistrella

Magistrella Big Damn Hero

As you can see on the Picture i added, when starting up SDV i only get a partial screen. I can play the game normally (I just dont see it) and can change the resolution back ingame to Fullscreen, which makes it Snap to Fullscreen, then i can change to my native resolution and go back to windowed borderless (which i usually play in) without no problem.

I played a day, thinking this would only happen once and the new save state would fix it, but it doesn't. Everytime i start it up (no matter if with SMAPI or without) it looks like this.

This started happening after the newest patch rolled out on Steam.

Platform: Steam

Greetz ('-')/ SDV Resolution Problem.jpg

• Magistrella

Found a work around:

If i go to %AppData%\Roaming\StardewValley and edit the startup_preferences file in the way, that it always starts in windowed it does so, that way i can just click on the upper right symbol to make it windowed borderless again.

If i change startwindowed back to false it goes back to the before mentioned behavior ('-')/

• TheTearer

TheTearer Phantasmal Quasar

Okay, that's super weird, I didn't get that bug until today. And I played it earlier (before lunch) and it was fine. It's just when I came back that it started doing this. But your workaround works, so thanks so much for posting it!

Magistrella likes this.
        • Magistrella

It's just a temporary workaround, tho. If you close the game and restart it again it goes back to false automatically and the weird error is showing up again.... :/

• Ladysarajane

Ladysarajane Existential Complex

Try deleting your Startup_preferences. Stardew Valley updated today. Deleting it should make it rewrite it correctly when the game is started again.

• Magistrella

Tried that already, doesn't work ^.~

• noobsqoou

noobsqoou Big Damn Hero

Yeah, just updated on Steam and I'm experiencing this too. Looks exactly like the OP's screenshot.

• noble_yorik

noble_yorik Seal Broken

I experienced this same window issue for the first time yesterday and again today after having played the game for hundreds of hours with no issues. It seems likely that the issue is related to the recent version 1.2 patch, the speculation is that the game is trying to open in fullscreen, windowed, and borderless window mode at the same time.

An easy temporary fix is to press Alt+Enter in order to force the game to center on the screen in windowed mode and then press the fullscreen icon on the screen in the upper right corner to revert back to full screen.

noobsqoou likes this.
                  • noobsqoou

noobsqoou Big Damn Hero

Thanks, that's much quicker than toying with files :D

• TheTearer

TheTearer Phantasmal Quasar

I'm having the exact same issue. And even after the update, it was fine at first. Then, the second time I opened the game Tuesday, the bug happened; yesterday it was fine; today it was fine, then the bug happened, then it was fine again. So the game trying to open in multiple modes at once would make sense.

• Ornyx

Ornyx Space Hobo

Tried to run the game today after a break of a month or so, ran into this problem.
                        My monitor resolution is 2560x1440, before the patch the game worked nicely, now it takes up only around 2/3 of the screen.

If I check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box in game .exe Compatibility tab, it instead uses exactly one quarter of the screen (half width, half height), but all interface elements are still far-off from the viewable area.

Running the game windowed (thanks for the tip to the people above) does the trick, so now it's the only option to make it playable.

• Rivalyn113

Rivalyn113 Space Hobo

I am also experiencing this issue.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Happens to me too now.

I'm using the Alt + Enter workaround, but a proper fix would be nice.