Outdated

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by The | Suit, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Thanks any help would be appreciated - honestly when it comes to LUA i am 100% clueless. I only learned through random experimentation which resulted in a item which spawns meteor showers [ extremely fun ] and a nicely timed - time bomb.

So anywhere you feel is appropriate is good - I will fill in the blanks as I slowly learn Lua

intervencion likes this.
  2. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't remember intentionally adding any accented characters or any other special characters so I can't imagine what went wrong. I checked through the player.config, .modinfo, .recipe, .object, and .frames files and I don't see any special characters.

If it helps, I did skip the unpacking process in the beginning because I didn't know how to make it a .bat file until after I completed the whole tutorial and went back to finally figure out I had to save it as "all types" to actually make it a .bat. Before it was just a text file so I skipped it for the time being and did the whole tutorial and used the raw asset files as the code to copy and edit for the mod. Maybe that caused a special character to be added maybe?

I put everything in a .zip folder and attached it to this. Maybe you'll be able to spot something I'm not seeing here. All I attempted to do was add the TARDIS from Doctor Who as a decorative item so there's thankfully not much to look at in terms of files and folders.

Attached Files:

3. The | Suit

I have no idea ya - i rewrote your file and worked fine. All your code was right - you can compare it with the code i switched it with.
    I also fixed another error where your price [ not related to first error ] was in quotes. Not sure why you did that, from an older tutorial maybe?

Can you give me some details.

1. Are you using Windows?
    2. Are you using notepad++
    3. Are you using Linux? or some sort of Linux application?
    4. Are you using a Non-standard english keyboard? Like German or something?

Because I am kind of curious with the code being right, the only thing to blame is something else - not what you did.

===============

In other news - next book update should come either today or tommorow

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  4. xboy777

It appears that you rewriting it or taking the quotes away fixed it because my game plays now :D My item appears to have made it into the game but shows up as Perfectly Generic Item. At least the price I set it to is right haha.

As for your questions in case you were still curious, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with a standard English keyboard and I used Notepad++. I'm eager for the next update because you're e-book is very helpful and straightforward. I'll download the latest version (think I'm still on v0.5) and try to figure it out for now as I see at the end of your book it has info on Perfectly Generic Items and how to fix them.

5. The | Suit

Ya I was just about to post it - your quotes were the problem. You were using ANSI encoding -> make sure you set notepad++ to UTF-8 without BOM
    Normally that is default, dunno why it was on ANSI for you.

To find out why its perfectly genertic item - craft your item - keep it in your hand and exit
    then open starbound.log it will give you a really detailed error message

something like
    Code:
    Error: Could not load /objects/generic/japlantern12375/japlantern12375.png:default asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetException: No such frame default in frames spec /objects/generic/japlantern12375/japlantern12375.frames
    Or something like where it gives you a number [43:3] -> this means 43rd line, 3rd space. So open up the file its giving the error in notepad++ - you can see the line numbers on the left side and fix it.
    perfectly generic item is usually due to refernce errors. For example mistaken capitilzaition. Keep all file names in lowercase and make sure the itemfilename and frame file name and picture have all the same file names.

6. Ashen

Ashen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for this, I have been thinking about learning to mod for Starbound, especially in the questing area, will take a lot more time to check this out over the next few days.

xboy777 likes this.
  7. xboy777

Well I think I fixed it because it now appears in-game as intended! :D I think all I did was remove the quotes on the price and rebooted the game and it was craft-able. Thank you so so so much for helping me figure this out! Now I can build upon this after I learn how to mod more from your e-book. The only thing now is that the item appears to not be center with the mouse when I'm about to place it. I think I have an idea on how to fix it and it's not that serious of a problem thankfully. I'm just relieved to actually see my progress.

8. The | Suit

What you want to look for is image position in object file . if you want it centred use [0,0]

xboy777 likes this.
  9. xboy777

Thanks again! Now everything works like a charm!

10. The | Suit

Version 0.7 has been uploaded
    New Features include
    Quests / Codex / Ore Generation / Json and Run Time Errors
    New Code sample design --> Tell me how you guys like it

Also
    Various syntax fixes.

11. The | Suit

@Ashen

This was a doubt by ashen.
    Right now there doesn't seem to be any way to "assign" quests. to anything.
    The system seems to be linear - though there might be some sort of LUA method which some one will find later on which can "start" a quest line.

As for your bounty hunter project. This can still be done, through a more linear fashion though it does take some more creative approach.
    You will need to create a new item, say Rogue Ears.
    The quest might be to collect 10 rogue ears. then you need to set up the treasure pool to drop it. Hence you can create a basic linear set through
    this methodology.

But if you want a fully fleshed out system. You may want to postpone your idea till the quest system is fully developed.

12. Handzaag

Handzaag Poptop Tamer

Thanks a lot for this swatelite! :proper:
    Edit: If you ever need a graphic designer to spice the e-book up, hit me with a message! :whoop:
    and a short question: what program did you use to make this? InDesign?

13. xchronox0

xchronox0 Space Spelunker

Thank you, I have discovered that numbers cannot be in quotes. I've encountered about 80% less perfectly generic items.

14. The | Suit

But that means you are no longer 80% perfect!

15. Aurorialis

Aurorialis Pangalactic Porcupine

This...this I needed. Thank you. :love:

+1 for any sort of Lua tutorial. I have done things, terrible things, in the quest for that knowledge.

16. xchronox0

xchronox0 Space Spelunker

I'm still 80% perfect, just 80% less generic.

xboy777 and The | Suit like this.
  17. xboy777

Does the _merge command always have to have the [ ] brackets after it? I've noticed almost every time I see it it's "_merge[ ]" but in the e-book on page 17 the second code example shows it without brackets. I'm a little confused on this and was wondering if that was a typo or not.

18. The | Suit

Sorry that was a typo - I was missing the opening bracket
    The closing bracket was there if you noticed closely.

Code:
    {
    "__merge" : [
        [ "overwrite", "input" ]
        ],
        "input" :  [
            { "item" : "money", "count" : 1 }
      ]
    }

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    xboy777 likes this.
  19. The | Suit

@xboy777
    Sorry had to correct my correction. Please take note
    =======================
    Also please take notice - The book is not using UTF-8 Font for code samples.
    Do not directly copy and paste the code. Or you will get errors.
    ====
    This will be fixed in the next release version 0.8
    If you find any more bugs feel free to tell me. Unless its corrected it will be a problem for everyone.

20. xboy777

It's totally fine. I understand that this being a brand new thing means it's going to have typos. I'm more than happy to point out typos/bugs for you as I go along. So far this guide has been very helpful and it would be the ultimate beginner's resource if it could be completed and bug-free so I'm happy to help.
    I'm glad you pointed this out. I just checked the encoding on Notepad++ and saw it was different so I fixed it to be UTF-8 Without BOM like you mentioned before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.