OpenGL

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Misszov, Feb 25, 2013.

1. XTripleJaxX

XTripleJaxX Starship Captain

You already have it ready to go

2. Hukasu

Hukasu Cosmic Narwhal

it's "installed" with your graphic card

3. SlashEdgeXX

SlashEdgeXX Tentacle Wrangler

You used to have to download it manually back in the day when it first rolled out, but I think since then it's become a standard and is included in all major OSes by standard. Or as part of video card drivers, either way. So no, you shouldn't need to worry about finding a download of it or configuring it, installing it, etc. Nice and easy :).

4. SlashEdgeXX

SlashEdgeXX Tentacle Wrangler

The M880G is the chipset used by the motherboard, if you were curious :). The HD 4250 part is the GPU, and it should handle the game fairly well. They aren't rendering a ton of polygons, dynamic lighting effects, simulated fog, rain, weather, blah blah blah. Just a good old fashioned 16bit style 2D sidescrolling game. My favorite. As for modern AAA heavy hitters like a Call of Duty, Battlefield, Mass Effect... probably not so much.

5. Misszov

Misszov Void-Bound Voyager

So, I downloaded last *software update* for my graphics card but It just doesnt work D:
    Please help me with it!

6. Adinxs

Adinxs Big Damn Hero

Hate to Necro this thread, but I have not seen much about this topic on the FAQ page.
    Now that they support DirectX, will OpenGL be an optional thing? My computer has a very bad video card, and only supports DirectX.
    Ergo, if I have to run DirectX AND OpenGL, I will not be able to play this game.

7. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

DirectX only is "fine"

But chances are if your card can only support DirectX it's also very old, so you might have some problems in that area.

8. Adinxs

Adinxs Big Damn Hero

It's from 2007. I can play games like Terraria, Minecraft, TF2, Stuff like that.
    I would love to upgrade my video card, but I have an integrated motherboard so I don't really know where to start.

9. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Should be OK then. You can't upgrade an integrated gfx card anyway.

Adinxs likes this.
  10. Adinxs

Adinxs Big Damn Hero

The pain of having a 800$ Steam account, and only being able to play 5% of the games is hard to bear.
    Also, thank so much for clearing this up.
    Best Dev in the hiz-house

11. Misszov

YOU DONT NEED OPEN GL TO PLAY STARBOUND ANYMORE

Now close that thread and be happy :love:

Adinxs likes this.
  12. Zaflis

Zaflis Pangalactic Porcupine

If your computer can run DirectX, it can run OpenGL too. It's just a matter of getting the right drivers. If your card doesn't have capability to run something like OpenGL 2, then it propably can't run DirectX 10 or 11 features either. There is also thing called "mesa driver" which would enable all existing OpenGL features for every card, simulated through the CPU (slower to draw with bad CPU, but at least it draws something).

13. failcake

failcake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Normaly OpenGL is a optional function on some games, im sure starbound will support multiple things like directx and opengl

14. Misszov

Eph, I will try that "mesa driver" because my card SHOULD support OpenGL up to 3.1 (ATI Radeon HD 4600) My card is able to run DirectX 10 but I have XP so I can't use it ;). Back to OpenGL, it doesn't matter which software I will download for my graph. card, OpenGL is still 1.1. So now I will test that "mesa driver"

15. Zaflis

WinXP can run OpenGL 3. As i said, you just have a wrong driver downloaded. I would not recommend using the mesa thing, you might be required to place it on the game folder directly if i remember right.

For your card, official driver for 32-bit WinXP is the catalyst package here:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista32.aspx

(My own card is Radeon HD 5700. Not sure if newer than yours, propably a little.)

edit: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk.../Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4600-specifications.aspx
    See, your card directly supports OpenGL 3.2

16. Only

Only Void-Bound Voyager

Hi.

My specification:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2,53 GHz
    Ram: 2 gb
    Card: GeForce 210 (512mb)
    System: Windows Vista 32-bit

Will i be able to play Starbound without problems? ;)

17. Zaflis

Very likely yes, only bottleneck is the Windows Vista. It can give random problems with many games.

18. Only

Only Void-Bound Voyager

I never have problem with games by this system, so maybe everything will be fine.