On the effects, or lack thereof, of Luck on your game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShneekeyTheLost, Feb 9, 2018.

1. rabidcow

rabidcow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pretty sure that's not public.

Ain't nobody here but me. Tell me what I'm missing, specifically.

It's not an IDE, but for just reading the code the difference is irrelevant. It's got all the navigation and search functionality and if you never export then it's never out of sync with the binary.

This is version 1.2.33 (or if you believe the resources, 1.2.6400.27469). What version are you looking at?

• TaleSpinnerGames

TaleSpinnerGames Industrial Terraformer

In my most recent Let's Play episode (no. 35 if anyone's interested and looking at this post a later date) I made it down 15 levels in about 8 in-game hours without using any crafted ladders or bombs. Per Welwick's Oracle luck was not on my side that day. I'm very glad I went mining anyway! Not sure I've ever done that well on a day when the spirits were showering everyone with good fortune.

• kidkid123

kidkid123 Phantasmal Quasar

i've done 80 levels in a day, with good luck day..in the skull cavern

• TaleSpinnerGames

TaleSpinnerGames Industrial Terraformer

This was early game, the regular mines and without using crafted ladders or bombs. I was not intending to make a comparison to the skull cavern which has completely different mechanics (also not sure why anyone would do the skull cavern without both ladders and bombs, frankly, but if you meant that you made it to level 80 without using them, I tip my hat to you.)

• kidkid123

kidkid123 Phantasmal Quasar

yeah, no ladders..wanted some iridium..and on very lucky days i would get around 50 ores of iridium..which is more than enough...luck is a huge factor

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Honestly it's funny because while complaining about being mob killed too much a few people suggested that I go on good luck days to avoid that. But most of the time I WAS going on good luck days!

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Which just goes to show how little luck actually matters. Luck doesn't impact the ladder drops from mobs, only the chance of ladder being mined from stone. But since the last stone is guaranteed anyway, it's not really a whole lot. I mean, we're talking the chance is multiplied by a percentage, so the total delta vee is pretty dang small.

Luck has the most significant impact on mining, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it IS actually significant over the course of gameplay

• davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Luck is what you have, if you are lucky, a day of good luck in the game you will have luck, if you are not lucky no matter the day, luck is in you not in the game :rofl:

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

So you're saying I'm strongly screwed then?X3

• La Chair

La Chair Big Damn Hero

Very well done. Thank you for the time putting that together.

• davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

But just a little, bad luck has infected your game :chrono:, you'll have to start another :rofl:

• Ipielle

Ipielle Title Not Found

Hey schneekey the lost, thanks for the awesome numbers once again! Everytime I see one of your discussions, I'm telling myself: "Yay, numbers, stats, hurray, let's go take a look!" (honestly not kidding). I was never that enthusiastic when it came to math class at school. They should have taught us with videogames and everyone would have been a math genius. (Or maybe, it would have just gotten me a bit more motivated...)

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

So you could effectively wait for a lucky day, eat a luck based food, and then harvest your crops for the best possible multi yield from a multi yield crop.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I think @ShneekeyTheLost 's main point here is, 'don't bother'. Yes, there's a luck mechanic in the game, and you can wait around for the right fortune and then eat some Lucky Lunch to swing things more your way, but realistically the actual influence this is going to have on your game is so very, very tiny overall, that the effort you'd put into doing that is hardly worth the trouble. It's not completely nothing, but it's generally a pretty small shift in your odds.