October 28th - All the small things!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

awesome, quality continues to grow

2. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Now, can I play Deception in Starbound with all of those new trap mechanics?

3. MobiusDT

MobiusDT Void-Bound Voyager

I think having it craftable could be problematic, but having it as a configurable item so that you can set it up to cover a certain area would be nice. Make it so that it can only be spawned in, only the placer of the generator, OPs, and optionally a placer defined whitelist can place/break within a definable area, say with non-craftable blocks with a server defined maximum distance that outline the defining area (to allow non-square shapes) and let the server owners sort out how to dispense them. If a griefer gets their hands on one the server can only blame themselves at that point.

supernovus likes this.
  4. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

What about a mix of craftable and non-craftable? Like you'd need to find the original generator, but you could 'upgrade' it to cover a wider area/focus on different things (or other stuff) with varying difficulties of ores (or whatever) required.

5. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Huh, I take it he was on his way to file a complaint then. That's when he met those fine gentlemen from the establishment's "Customer Service".

Too bad he was only carrying a paintball gun... probably thought he could intimidate then into giving him a refund...

6. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

now all we need is a smaller hitbox while crouch-moving!

7. Albussystems

Albussystems Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes, yes, yes :D All said - Thx Gene

It would be essential that "only" Admins can place a generator on servers. If the Server is in the least moderated, one should be able to upload a world file to a Admin and by that uploading a shielded World, loosing the option to erase or change the Generator on the Server without a Admin being there. Because of Servers chrashing all the time, its better to build on a lan server or singleplayer anyway for now, so....^^
    (Otherwise the one running the server is automatically Admin, yes?)
    And thx Chucklefish too ofc^^

(looked at Terraria a few days ago because i didn't remember why i didn't like it..... then i saw it and i knew .D)

[Edit: I still like the idea from Forum in the suggestions thread: A tool like the Painttool to mark blocks, which become indestructible when marked\linked with\to a Shieldgenerator. Would that be a possibility?]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  8. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

These look really great, Armagon! I look forward to seeing these in-game. I have two concerns:
    1) I recommend that the dungeons and other major structures -always- require unlocking doors from various points, as this would ensure that the entire area is explored before being destroyed. Of course, any combination of the other requirements or challenges should be okay as well.
    2) Do you know if the more detailed trap hitboxes will cause severe FPS problems, or how you plan to solve those should they exist?

9. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

I am hoping the generators are only in a few special story related dungeons and not the vast majority of random ones. I enjoy being able to break traps, build over gaps, and dig through walls and floors, in a game with a destructible and buildable world that sort of freedom is not only expected, but is one of the big draws of the game. I am not a platform gamer, my jumping and dodging skills are not the best, nor do I have the patience to run blindly around a large dungeon trying to find some magic switch so I can finally start breaking and stealing some of the goodies I want.

If they are going to be used a lot, I hope it will be something easy enough to mod out, or even turn off with a difficulty setting.

Zael, Tamorr and rhomboid like this.
  10. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

I hope traps will affect npcs as well. Last time I played they could harm only player.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  11. Susya

Susya Tentacle Wrangler

Why nightly branch give me an error?

12. lordbociek

lordbociek Pangalactic Porcupine

looks great - at last some puzzling elements

13. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

Make Monsters and NPCs also be affected by Traps and Environment!!
    There's no point protecting a base with traps found in dungeon if will only affect other players.

Zael likes this.
  14. Nimja

Nimja Pangalactic Porcupine

YES! Finally I can chop those innocent monsters to pieces with Vertical Propellors of DOOM!

Doom!

...doooooooommm.....

BloodyFingers likes this.
  15. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

Awesome! And all this from the sound guy? Great stuff.

16. wolfyluna

wolfyluna Void-Bound Voyager

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  17. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

Last time I checked, some NPCs I spawned walked onto spikes and died.

So yes. I haven't tried monsters yet, though.

18. Silver200x

Silver200x Subatomic Cosmonaut

i think Gene had the best solution, admin reversible locks/disable/remove function for personal shield gens. means no game ruiner but just nusance and u get them in every game.

19. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

Heh. I started a new game tonight to check out changes to the nightly since I last played. I thought something was wrong with the matter manipulator when I could not pick up a fire near a mine entrance, then realized it was the dungeon protection system. Nice. :)

Now...how do I find the generator to turn it off? I have been through the whole mine and did not find anything.
    Also, is it intended that the shield also prevents the placement of torches on the walls? If so, that might be ok. Keeps the spooky dark dungeons dark and spooky.

20. Slangwhite

Slangwhite Void-Bound Voyager

Great Job! UPDAAATE PLEASE! I wait so long... :/