November 3rd - Dungeon Shield Generator Implementation

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Nov 3, 2014.

1. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

yes, it is. there's random blink and targeted blink
    targeted blink requires a direct line of sight to where you want to blink to - there's no real distance limitation to it, for as long as you can see it
    i made a mod that modifies the
    targeted blink tech to allow you to blink through walls instead, so if you can point your cursor to it, you can blink to it

it's actually a stupidly
    simple mod xD

that's what the tech is called - one of two variations of "Blink"

i wonder what the deal is with the syringe o. O will we be able to craft one of those 4 syringe things?? =D

2. Jafetgx

Jafetgx Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah right now you can use this kind of exploits with bosses, but iirc in the final game bosses will be fought in their own environment, they won't be summoned anymore.

3. alesimula

alesimula Void-Bound Voyager

Sooo... what about: You destroy the generator, lights goes off and alarms starts playing (so the room just glows in red) and the the locked safe room opens and a gen etically medified (boss) npc comes out of it (and entrance doors close).... then if you kill it and you're able to edit the dungeon and take the loot

4. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I was thinking in the context of what he proposed. There isn't a tech that allows you to go through walls, thus allowing to bypass the entire dungeon, that I was aware of.

And the SRT I mentioned? Had my mind on nightcrawler and jumbled it all up. Sorry...

@eksynn
    I had never found the other variant of blink. Are you telling me it just flings you wherever? And that might actually be beyond a wall?

Ps: I tried to directly quote you. Then I saw the code in your comment...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Ah my bad. IN that regard yes you would be correct

6. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

a short range teleport can still bypass, or at least simplify, the platforming sections, even without going through walls

7. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

the same day i found it in a tech chest, the game updated and i couldn't really test it out.. because i had to reset the universe again. >.<
    i didn't know that's what i had to reset at the time, so i just started a new game lol

i'll try testing it out and i'll get back to you on that

update,
    yes, it basically does exactly that. xD i tried it while in my ship and it sent me out into space. since it's apparently solid outside of the ship, i was stuck until i finally blinked back inside.
    it DOES seem to favor the 'general' direction of where your mouse is pointing, though, but not always.

what code? o. O

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  8. BloodyFingers

Well, that' something the devs might want to work on then...

And I meant the color code. I know, I know, people get snippy at you for it, but I personally don't mind. It's just that on the phone (using tapatalk) it becomes very difficult to single out a particular phrase.
    On pc it's no trouble.

Higuera and Kawa like this.
  9. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

oh, does it look like all [tagged] or <something> like that? xD
    sorry about that ^^
    hey, at least i'm slowly working on making it less painfully... colorful xD

BloodyFingers likes this.
  10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Yes, the former. One way to make it less painful would be to use font variants like normal people. For example, your darker bits would work nicely as italics.

11. BloodyFingers

as I said, I don't really mind it. On pc it's a non issue. On tapatalk however...

Anyway, @Armagon, that random blink business is worth looking into, right?

12. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Will, perhaps, certain kinds of strong bombs be able to negate the shield generators effect? Like a Ionized-Bunker-Buster or something? An expensive way to cheat?

13. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Pretty sure that's a no

14. McWhite

McWhite Void-Bound Voyager

THIS IS AWESOME. <3
    Finally the dungeons are coming to live!

15. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

I've gotten so bored of waiting for all these updates they show, that I'm just going to remove Starbound from my bookmarks, and forget it existed until my Steam gives me an update. It's been so long since the last major update that it's gotten ridiculous.

Nimeni likes this.
  16. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Do shield generators prevent painting?

This is important. I need to know if I can still troll people by leaving a dungeon completely untouched, but turning it pink.

17. BloodyFingers

Now you're earning that nickname.

Criminy, now I need to step up my evil game...

Higuera and Jonesy like this.
  18. JarinArenos

JarinArenos Pangalactic Porcupine

I understand not wanting players to bypass traps with dirt-bridges, but I'm really not loving how "challenging dungeon" has to equal "precision platforming". That's really not what I thought I was signing on for with this game. Hope the final designs don't keep relying on this...

Jonesy likes this.
  19. Dog Roger

Dog Roger Orbital Explorer

I love where things are going! X3 #Starbound4life

But guys... it's been like... 6 months? since the last update... don't you have a date for the next update? People on Steam is getting a bit upset... :(

Go to Steam, then the Store and search for Starbound. Just scroll down on the reviews and you'll see what i'm talking about... It is sad to see. I do hope they change their mind soon.

Keep up with the good work Chuklefish! I believe that Starbound will be on its feet again on Steam! :DD

20. Higuera

Higuera Cosmic Narwhal

What would TRULY be nightmare fuel would be leaving GIANT BARBIE DOLLS EVERYWHERE!
    (2scary5me!)