No MLP Related Content-

Discussion in 'Other' started by ClamSlammer, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All it is is a record of what the people who posted in those 8 pages think. All anyone here has, positive or negative, is personal opinions. Let's not make this melodramatic, and more than it is.
    ...sort of like that ;n;

Vandrian likes this.
  2. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

So no, you have no actual data upon which you are basing this.

Its always silly to allow yourself to be influenced by extremes of anything.

"We don't want to" is an OK reason. I might disagree, but its their game.
    "It would be overly complicated and/or time consuming to implement" is a good reason.
    "Hasbro has become an MPAA clone and is suing everyone in sight" is a good reason.

"There is a tiny minority of highly immature people that can't deal with a single sentence reference from a single NPC in a game that spans an entire universe" is a terrible reason.

Solum, Necrius and Midnight Tea like this.
  3. Necrius

Necrius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, is that ME playing dumb? I guess you're not getting the atmosphere of Starbound if you think that this game with penguins, the Great Banana and "lusty Avian Maid (pronounced with an audible squawk)" (dayum, another cameo to unfitting product! Rageragerage) is more serious than Bioshock. And don't mix up "insane" and "silly", 'cause MLP references fit silly much better.

Solum likes this.
  4. Supreme Suprise

Supreme Suprise Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In the end: does it even matter? The dev's aren't going to add MLP content. This isn't coming from a person on either side. I really don't care either way. Think about it: it just logically makes sense. If some company makes makes new game, and start to cater to specific audiences, some people will start to turn off to the idea of the game just because of that specific content. This thread clearly states that (comment-wise). If a company isn't careful their new game will turn into a new flop simply because of that.

§hifter likes this.
  5. Rhayn

Rhayn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No matter what other references make it into the game or how silly they are, the vast majority of grown or half grown males and even females, don't like MLP. It's not cute, it's not exciting and it's just not something for grown ups. I do not understand this whole Bronie thing. My daughter is 10 and hasn't played with her MLP stuff for 4 or 5 years, so I really don't understand what adult males find so interesting with it.
    That being the case it would seem a large group of people just don't like it.
    The other references people seem to either like or be ambivelent about, so they are in the game.
    MLP a lot of people seem to hate so why put it in the game?
    I am sure if we had numerous threads about the 50 shades of gray reference, with large numbers of people screaming and moaning about this reference being in it, they would likely not bother. But so far I haven't seen anyone get so upset about any possible reference like that except MLP. So it's not going to be in.

6. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Oh, yes, silly me, 8 pages of people's comments is definitely NOT data that at least shakily represents the percentage of people for and against. However could I think it so. Silly, silly me.

Talking about one-sided...
    And for the last time, after a bit more consideration and evaluation, it's starting to seem that it's not a small minority that don't like it.
    I mean, they are not necessarily people who will not buy the game for it, or who hate it, it's just people who don't think it would fit or who don't like it.

Personal opinion is exactly what this is about. The opinions of the community in general about something is what is made up from all this. If 8 pages of people mostly think that it wouldn't be a good idea to put it in the game or don't care about it, I think that shakily shows the percentage of people against the idea.

The devs themselves only know exactly what fits into their game and what doesn't, and exactly what kind of atmosphere want to create. I haven't played the game yet, so I can't say for certain. All we have are hints. If you have precognition and can be certain, good for you. Since I don't know the proportion between silliness and seriousness in the game, and exactly what kind of jokes are they aiming at, I can't say exactly whether it would fit or not. What's in the forums does not necessarily reflect what will be in the game. That's why I gave an if-if example. It might fit. Or it might not fit. You have to consider that both are possibilities.

I gave Bioshock simply as an example that seemingly silly things can fit in seemingly serious places. In general.

7. squibbles

squibbles Pangalactic Porcupine

after all this debate im still trying to understand why this thread even exists. why does it seem like people all have some sort of personal vendetta against the show, fans and said references? can we please just let this thread die already. (also notice that the only people to have said this are bronies) just think about it guys

Solum and melodyburst like this.
  8. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

This thing is still going? sheesh!
    shhhhh. just wait for that one NPC that someone named Twilight and play this.
    http://sadviolin.com/

9. squibbles

squibbles Pangalactic Porcupine

i have two things to say to you. A - i dont understand. B - cute picture :3

10. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I'm confused at how you would think that a single thread in the Other sub-forum of the Suggestions forum, which even if every response was unique would represent less than 180 people, could be an unbiased representation of the general forum population of nearly 78,000 members. You literally have no reliable data that you're basing these assumptions on.

Solum and Necrius like this.
  11. Necrius

Oh, you're so sure that they're NOT going to add it? Did Tiy say this personally? You really weren't reading - the discussion about idea of some cameos being "righter" than others.
    And really, MLP cameo WILL NOT turn the whole game into MLP game. As it was said before, if a person can't tolerate a minuscule easter egg or petty phrase from some plot-unimportant NPC and will actually won't buy the game or demand a refund because of it - this person is a moron and should be stripped of voting, driving and having firearms rights.

12. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Think some subtle references (Okay, not so subtle references, like that Terraria wizard NPC line) wouldn't hurt the game, and I have full trust in the Starbound team that they know how to keep their game style and atmopshere consistent and will not ruin it with any silly references or tributes.

13. I'm not saying the opinions in this thread are invalid, just that it's hard to call it rock solid data. For the record, if someone had an 8 page thread full of people saying how awesome MLP references would be, I would say exactly the same thing. I mean 8 page, 20 posts per page; being exceedingly generous and assuming that each post is from a different user, it's still only 160 people.

Like, I have no problem with you saying "oh I think this is a bad idea; it ruin the mood of the game for me," because that is your feeling, and disagreeing with something like that would be stupid. I just don't want you to make this more than it is.

Necrius likes this.
  14. melodyburst

melodyburst Big Damn Hero

I'm going to laugh so hard if they name someone Twilight

and everyone gets mad

and then the creators are confused because they named her after the time of day, rather than a pony.

"As you can see, the color code dictates the item's rarit-" "THAT'S A PONY REFERENCE! THAT'S A PONY REFERENCE! GIVE ME A REFUND!"

THANK YOU. After all, many of us are posting over and over again. And give a scientist data based on 160 people, and they'll laugh at you. Plus, many of us are for or against, and some neutrals are here, so there really isn't a pattern to speak of.

Solum, RedScarWolf and Necrius like this.
  15. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

The chances are that all these people who randomly picked are people who are all against the idea are slim. You can't seem to grasp the theory of probability. I'm using these numbers for simplicity's sake, by the way, as an example. The first time someone says for or against, the probability branches out into choice 1 and choice 2. When the next member expresses his opinion, the probabilities branch out into 11, 12, 21, 22. When the third one does it becomes 111, 112, 121, 122, 211, 212, 221, 222. So with 3 members expressing their opinions, the chances that all of them will either agree or all disagree disagree by chance becomes 1 in 8. Then it becomes 1 in 16,; 1 in 32; 1 in 64 and so on. If the community is split 50% for and 50% against (as an example), and there are, lets say, 100 unique people in this thread. I've seen 3 people for this idea so far. Do you know how slim the chance is that if the community is 50/50, the branch will go all the way against (so only people against are randomly noticing and commenting on this thread) so the extremely one sided possibility branch 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111211112111112 or something like that is picked? This leads to one conclusion: It is very probable that the community isn't split 50/50 (then the posibility branch 122111221221221212121211221 or something would be most probable), and the numbers are more around 90/10, because in that case people picked randomly from a base pool would have more chance to get the same number, and the chance that they will get the same number is significantly higher.

Now, this is simple proportional chance. You can always say "Oh, maybe that probability came true in this case?" And that is always possible. However, the chances in this case are slim enough for it to be called reliable. If there were at least 10 people out of these 100 who would want this thing, then one might consider it more carefully. Now however, especially seeing the fans themselves being against references from this show OR not caring about it... I know that as a percentage the number of people who commented on this thread is small, but when the numbers of people go big, the sheer amount plays a big part, not only percentage. Sure, since it's a small percentage of the whole, the chances of it being wrong are slightly increased, and yet not enough to be noteworthy due to the sheer numbers of people.

True, it is not rock solid data, yet that's why I said "shakily" for one thing. As long as my dictionary goes, when I say "shakily" I don't mean "rock solid", unless my education in English went terribly wrong somewhere along the road. Also, if you showed me a thread that draws the attention of both sides (like this one presumably does), and it would be as you say, then I would say "If the majority wants it, why not? Just as long as it's not overdone and doesn't distract from the main game". Even so, I highly doubt that would happen, seeing as how the chances do seem tipped against you.

You don't seem to understand it. This argument arose when one person said: "OMG, the devs have to put this in the game because there are people who hate it! They shouldn't care what people who dislike it think! Add it just to spite them, devs! And because out of 100 people who posted here, I want it, along with a couple more people!"

I am not for or against this show, because I had no positive or negative interactions with it, nor have I ever cared enough to find out more than shakily what it is about. I AM mostly against references in general. My personal opinion, however, doesn't come into it, since if there are references, I care not from which show they are, as long as they fit the game. All I am saying is that you people should be considerate of the devs and try to understand that it is easy for you to talk saying "add this content!" Or "We don't want that content!" But they have a lot of things to think about when adding something.

Not what is "righter" or "wronger". Just why someone WOULD or WOULDN'T want it in the game, taking into consideration the community, the game theme, various situation within the game where references of this sort might or might not fit and so forth.

I have no feeling for or against this particular show. I hold nothing against you arguing for it; if the situation was reversed, I know those who are against this kind of reference would be arguing the same way against it, as you are right now arguing for it. It's only natural.

16. Necrius

Yeah, no hard feelings. I argue for the sake of argument. This one is the longest argument on the Net i ever had.

I've taken into consideration my PERSONAL view of game theme, various situation within the game and have seen that minor references to mlp (like the ones that only brony could understand without looking in meme databases) will fit perfectly and the only people who could be offended by them are either minors that shouldn't be on those forums at all (and able to buy the game) or really strange people who can be considered dangerous to society with such volatile state of mind.

Neither me or others (neutral and afraid of flame wars bronies as well) doesn't ask for ponies as full-fledged NPCs or Equestria planet. We ask for something like a cyan-colored EV Suit that "makes you 20% cooler" lowering heat level by 20%. Such description won't bother neutrals and will amuse fans. Haters can swallow it just like I'm swallowing minor (and not only minor) references to things I hate.

17. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

That's it, I'm changing my NPC name to "Rainbow Dash", just to piss off everyone.

18. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Wouldn't that be a copyright infringement? I mean, you know, all character names = Hasbro copyright.

19. Then that person is an idiot; I'm not interested in talking about them, and I don't think that I have been.
    Look, I've said this several times before, I don't think that there will be MLP references in the game, and it makes no difference to me whether there are any. I'm not arguing in favour of anything, all I said was that calling this thread evidence or a poll (regardless of the word "shakily" haphazardly thrown in there) is silly. That's all; nothing more!

20. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

Nope, all but one of the trademarks are abandoned, and that one is for toy ponies and accessories. Source

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.