1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed No Longer Have Alpha Sector Tab (Enraged Koala)?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by jaz, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramus73

Ramus73 Starship Captain

I would imagine that's 99.99% of the people on here mate. Even so, I have made games since 1985 and I still think even indie companies need to do more in house testing before releasing. The trouble is the 'release now, patch later' attitude.

2. Daimoth

Daimoth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you're telling the truth about that, then you should know very well that it's never that simple. There are countless pressures working on a software developer, not least of which being publisher pressure. Only in an ideal world can everything be tested enough (I mean really enough) before shipping. Or uploading, such as it is.

Not only that, this is beta. And as you mentioned, Chucklefish is an indie company. Big teams of in-house testers are native to the AAA scene. The way it stands now, we are the testers.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. Toonix

Toonix Orbital Explorer

I have the same problem too on new toon. Could not set home planet in alpha sector, traveled to beta sector and found no alpha sector tab on starmap.
    I tried Daimoth's mod which does add the alpha sector tab to my starmap, but I still can not set a home planet in alpha sector.

4. Ramus73

Ramus73 Starship Captain

The first game I wrote was a text adventure on the Vic 20 in 1985 so yes I am telling the truth :) Go back 10-15 years and play tester was an actual job but its is, unfortunately, true that today companies do not bother with QA departments as you can just release a patch if you make a balls up and/or release a Beta and use you and me to do the testing. In the end it comes down to companies wanting to spend as little money as possible, but I suppose that's the way of the world and we'll just have to make do.

5. Toonix

Toonix Orbital Explorer

They seem to do some type of internal testing before releasing an update, hard to understand how this stuff got past them.

6. SomeGuyInAWaistcoat

SomeGuyInAWaistcoat Intergalactic Tourist

But that's the point of a Beta. This isn't a finished product. We all bought into this game being told that up front.
    We are the QA department. Should we expect Chucklefish to polish up every detail for every update for a game that's not even officially released yet? I'd say no. That doesn't mean I'll give them a free pass either. This is a bug that they need to see to, given that a home world is a pretty important part of gameplay. Surprising to see this slip past the internal testers.

As a fellow developer myself, my opinion is you can't have a "release now, patch later" attitude for something that's not technically released. If I bought Starbound as a finished product and this happened after an update, I'd probably agree more with you though.

7. Toonix

Toonix Orbital Explorer

My friend what you are saying here doesn't really fit well with the fact that we all paid up-front for the opportunity to play in this beta. That alone should make them more responsible about what updates they release. After selling over 1-million copies, penny-pinching is a poor excuse for not adding more staff to the project. If they were having a traditional closed beta by invite only, unpaid for by testers, then the standard of doing business would be lower of course.

8. Corehaven

Corehaven Subatomic Cosmonaut

9. Toonix

Toonix Orbital Explorer

The mod works as a partial fix, still can not set a home planet in alpha or use the Warp Home function.
    I was able to set a Beta planet as home but still can not warp home.

10. Sherio88

Sherio88 Big Damn Hero

I think they're just trying to pump the updates out too fast.

First chest and storage bugs, now this post "hotfix"

11. newtype06

newtype06 Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, I can't warp home, or set my home either.

12. Incredipede

Incredipede Title Not Found

Bug confirmed, the Alpha Sector Button is gone and settng home does not work. The Starbound Logfile doesn't help at all at this bug.

[​IMG]

13. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

No, you did not "pay up-front for the opportunity to play in this beta."

You pre-ordered the game.

Access to what would be internal builds is simply a bonus for pre-ordering. Whether or not you use that bonus is your choice, but if you paid for the beta, you weren't paying attention.

You don't want the possibility of game-breaking issues, you don't play the game until release. Simple as that.

14. Corehaven

Corehaven Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've found I can set home and it works after wiping the universe folder however it doesn't work for every planet. Recently I could not do so with a desert planet. When I set home it shows that the system itself is home, but the home icon does not appear on the planet itself. When I warp to planet, I simply see an empty ship and nothing happens. However moving right next door to a forest planet, I was able to set home there and it works as the home icon showed directly on the planet itself instead of just the system.

What I'm saying, at least in my game, is that some planets seem bugged and do not allow me to set it as home, while other planets allow me to do so, forcing me to shop around in a new system for a planet that allows me to do so.

15. Faira

Faira Subatomic Cosmonaut

Add me to the list of those who now have LOST ALPHA sector.

16. Jaso0074

Jaso0074 Space Spelunker

I am in the same boat. Thought it was fixed but for some reason my server had an issue so I reset the worlds and the Alpha sector is still missing. Its not an issue for me but I just thought I would just let the powers that be know that I am having the issue.

[​IMG]

17. drencor

drencor Space Spelunker

I am also having this problem. It seems to be random for me depending on the multiplayer server I am connected too. So far Alpha sector seems to be unlocked on my local save no problem. I even setup my own server on my linux box and tested it and I have alpha sector unlocked on it.

There are serveral servers I have connected too and tried setting up camp on them I seem to have this problem. The main one I am playing on is: stars.tartarusrealms.com
    So far I tried setting up a brand new character and joined the server and alpha sector on a new character doesn't show up.
    So not sure what the bug is, but just thought I would chime out I am having this really strange bug too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.