Modding Help Newbie Here: Finished a small mod, but can't get it to work. Would love some advice!

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Velocidapper, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Velocidapper

Velocidapper Void-Bound Voyager

Hello everyone,

So I recently got into Starbound and after seeing the selection of mods (and downloading a few to play around with) I decided to get into the modding game the myself to build stuff for myself and friends.

I've been looking at a fair number of tutorials, and the game seems easy enough to mod so before diving into more of the bigger stuff that I have planned, I decided to quickly make a cosmetic mod (basically adds two wearable face masks) and see if I could implement it into the game.

...Turns out, I cannot get this pretty simple mod to work because as soon as I put it in and boot up Starbound, the game CTDs. So I went back, checked the tutorials I've used, looked at the code of other similar mods akin to mine that work just fine when I put them in, and haven't been able to come up with any solid solution.

Despite being a Game Designer and knowing how to program (albeit it's not forte as I am more of an art guy), I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong here. I am sure it's something simple that I completely missed, but at the moment I'd just like to see if I
    can get help from seasoned modders who might be willing to help me out and tell me what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

Line 114: [15:27:28.590] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /player.config, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /player.config
    Line 201: Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: unexpected character parsing word at 4:1

Removed the last comma

Then cleaned the rest up.

Attached Files:

3. DrPvtSkittles

Also be mindful of folder names. You had 'armor' but it needed to be 'armors'.

4. Velocidapper

Oh hey, I recognize your name! I actually think I believe I am some of your mods installed on my game and was referencing your mods when I was figuring out how to make my own. C:

Regardless, I very thankful for the help getting this to work!

Well...except sadly it’s not working and now the game CTD’s when after the Chucklefish logo finishes it’s laugh. The worst part is this is happening regardless whether I have the fixed mod installed or not.

Not sure what went wrong here or if I just messed up my game...:S

5. DrPvtSkittles

Aaaaye xD yw
    Check your log file. Its called starbound.log (no numbers)
    Starbound/storage
    You can paste it here using pastebin.com

You will become very familiar with your log as a mod maker :p

6. Velocidapper

Ah good to know!

Alrighty, I've checked my .log file and from the looks of it the mod itself it working (I think) but the errors seem to arise from...the base game itself?

https://pastebin.com/FNbZHMm4

That, or it seems like an issue with the Novakid Speech Lines mod I have installed as well as the Sharing is Caring mod. I am going to uninstall them and see if they are the issue here.

7. Velocidapper

Well I uninstalled them, and strangely (but sadly not unexpectedly at this point) the game still CTD's. However, looking for errors over the .log file doesn't really seem to reveal anything to me on where things went wrong?

https://pastebin.com/PTUyg03S

Any ideas, or is my game borked and require a clean install?

8. DrPvtSkittles

[06:06:46.073] [Error] Application: exception thrown, shutting down: (ItemException) Duplicate item name 'knockback' found

Find knockback dupes and you will find your issue.

9. Velocidapper

I see, so would that issue be coming from one of the other mods then? If so, any ideas to where I should check first?

DrPvtSkittles likes this.
  10. Velocidapper

Ah, no wait. Game is booting up now and the mod is in fact installed!

Despite this, when I check every crafting menu my items do not appear to be showing up.
    *Sigh* Baby steps, baby steps.

EDIT: Ah, got it to work! Had to move the folders around but it works!

Thanks again to @DrPvtSkittles! I appreciate your help and patience!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    DrPvtSkittles likes this.
  11. DrPvtSkittles

All g! Happy Modding!