1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

New Stretch Goal confirmed

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Somanei, Apr 14, 2013.

1. GrumpyMcfart

GrumpyMcfart Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm liking the space whale idea.

I have no idea how it'd be implemented but it's a classic sci-fi trope.

2. Eldritch

Eldritch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The dev team is never going to add Anodynes. Anodynes are so similar that it would be pointless to add them.

3. Thorden

Thorden Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want cat-like people! :DD

Shippo likes this.
  4. Patchouli

Patchouli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I actually got this in my head when I saw them:

As much as other people keep saying it's too cliche or whatever, I agree. I keep thinking of them with somewhat of a middle-eastern flair, personally.

Passarbye, Thorden and banthesun like this.
  5. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

I'd like a random planet mode...

The idea is this... People can cheat on singleplayer games and find stuff in the ground with a lot of value. They just have to write down some coordinates and can go to the same spot on a multiplayer server. To make this kind of cheating impossible I'd love it if we could enter a random seed at universe creation.

6. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

Maybe another new race? Canid, felid, penguin, red panda, raccoon, rock, crystal, dragon, lizard, or something completely different. New races always add more interesting stuff to the game, even if you play as a different race. But whatever the next goal(s) will be, I'm sure they'll be interesting! :)

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I wouldn't mind seeing another race someone previously suggested added.

8. Baradrim

Baradrim Big Damn Hero

While I scream "Haaats!" most of the time, right now I'd scream "CAAAAATS!" as a race.

Cirom, Shippo, Thorden and 1 other person like this.
  9. Keadin

Keadin Big Damn Hero

I'm fairly sure that a specific seed yields a specific planet. So if the seed is the same, the planet is the same.

However, seeds and coordinates are not the same thing. Your question suggests that the universe is not randomly generated, because they would find a planet offline and then look up the same planet online using the offline coordinates. As far as I know the universe IS randomly generated, and coordinates only work within that particular universe. If you find a planet you like on server A, it might not exist on server B, and if it does the odds of finding it in the same place are slim at best.

So even if identical seeds yield identical planets, that is something that happens behind the scenes. All the player really has access to is coordinates, and those differ per randomly generated universe. I can't find any official word to back this up, but that is my understanding so far. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not! :geek:

Thorden likes this.
  10. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

The way I understood it was that all planets in all games are on the same coordinates... I hope you're right though!

11. StarshiyLeytenant

StarshiyLeytenant Cosmic Narwhal

Perhaps they should have add weapons to crafting (if they have already done so) or make a weapon editor. I have a list of my own weapons I would like to put in :3

12. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

Circuitry. Mechanisms.
    (Sorry to use the iconic word.. "redstone" work.)

Failing that.. Proper modding API. The ability to delve into code otherwise hard.

13. Thorden

On the subject about coding and circuitry, players will be able to code computers/terminals in LUA in the game to make certain things do that and that. For an example: you make a small program on the computer, that will shut down all the lights in your base, but it requires a password so no-one else could use that program/command/function

14. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

This is incorrect. If you look up the officially announced information, the universe is always the same and specific coordinates will always result in the same planet in order to allow people to share planets with friends even when not playing on the same server. It may sound like it could get repetitive, but there will be so many planets that I doubt the entirely of Starbound players will ever visit them all. Now for those worried about people using this to cheat, I highly doubt there will be any planets that will make it so easy to loot that it's actually worthwhile to make an attempt. If we happen to find any during beta, we can report it as a bug to be fixed.

15. Patchouli

Patchouli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Where was this stated? I was under the impression it was just that the same SEED did that, much in the fact that using the same seed in Minecraft will generate an identical map every time you use that particular seed (with seeds only known to the server owner, preventing people being able to "cheat")

It would be a bit strange if EVERY map was exactly the same.

Keadin likes this.
  16. Thorden

I kinda feel the same... Players should be able to generate a totally new and random universe whenever he/she wants to...

17. DakoShark

DakoShark Pangalactic Porcupine

I believe, the same coordinates will give you the same TYPE of planet. Not the same planet exactly. Like you find a crystal planet in single player, you can go to the same coordinates in multiplayer and you'll find another Crystal planet, but different landscape layout and everything. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's going to go. We'll just have to wait and see.

18. EvilLizard

EvilLizard Master Chief

Is it too much to ask for a lizard-like or reptile race? ^^

Gunzier likes this.
  19. ExplosiveCrate

ExplosiveCrate Phantasmal Quasar

Well, we have the Hyotl, who are amphibians. I guess that's close enough to a reptile, right?

20. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Which sucks because personally I think Anodynes are the superior race.