New Ring

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gewitsch, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Gewitsch

Gewitsch Void-Bound Voyager

Hello everyone,

While I played simultaneously with a friend to see who can aquire the 1 million gold first, he went with the riverfarm and crab pots(how many times did I make the joke crap pots^^?)
    I don't know how many of you tested this strategy to see if the riverland farm "deserves" a spot in the menu. My friend was annoyed how long it takes everyday to collect all the items by hand.

Here comes my suggestion in form of a useful ring. The ring would automatically harvest all crab pots in certain distance. It encourages player to try the the riverland farm for this playstyle.

I hope I can reach to CA or Modder to bring in more diversity.

• Pyrofish

Pyrofish Starship Captain

That sounds extremely useless. I'd have no reason to use it over several other, much more useful rings.

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

While I see the appeal for having an increased grab-distance, I'd much rather have maybe a wallet item or something else entirely. I agree with Pyrofish that there are quite a few more useful rings that would be much better than something like this (No offense, sorry :().

That being said however, maybe something else might help? This came off the top of my head, but maybe there could be something like the Junimo Huts (or maybe the huts themselves) that would automatically harvest the crab pots regardless of what was in them, allowing whatever was caught to be accumulated in a nice, convenient container that fills itself up at the start of any day... or whenever crab pots yield a catch.

nekoCrimson likes this.
        • Gewitsch

Hello,

@Pyrofish thx for nothing.

@Xamerzan Maybe I wasn't clear about the ring. The purpose of this ring is that while you are walking near crab pots that the content is automatically floating towards you without you even pressing a button.

The ring is supposed to make crab pots way more efficient and appealing for players. With the perk of autobait you would just walk by all your crab pots and enjoy the stroll while the ring pulls all crab pot items to you.

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

Ahh, see now that makes a bit more sense. I would definitely switch out my rings for the circumstances that call for it if a ring like this existed. Thank you for clearing that up!

• Pyrofish

Am I wrong?
              What reason would I have to use that over the Iridium ring, or several others?

Crab pots are already pretty bloody useless, now you want me to use one of my ring slots on it? Give me a reason to use it.

• Gewitsch

@Pyrofish My Concern is to make this source of income attractive. Currently the crab pots needs faster harvesting and should not be picked up by clicking on them. With this ring we go one step bringing diversity in this game. The camparison is like trying to compare apples and pears. Some rings have uniquie abilitys so like Xamerzan said, you would switch between them to have fun with them.

• Pyrofish

Crab pots are incredibly useless, this will not fix them. They need much more than this to make it at all worthwhile.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

While it's true that crab pots are not likely to be profitable, this sort of item would go a long way towards making them easier to use, and hence less of a time-sink. On my current farm, I'm deliberately trying to make a Slime n' Snail ranch, and the snail part of that design (in the form of crab pots) is unwieldy as heck to deal with on a daily basis. I don't play the game for min-maxing of profits and honestly don't care that the crab pot yield is lacking in income, but the continual click-baiting (We've found the easy way to collect periwinkles with one weird trick!) is frustrating. Anything that makes crab pots more user-friendly would be welcome with me.

nekoCrimson likes this.
                    • wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

The suggestion about junimos appeals to me because it'd also give Riverland players more flexibility in positioning a junimo hut. It doesn't help with crab pots anywhere else in the game, though.

A ring would be an interesting solution - portable, retains an element of resource/inventory management. I don't see how it could unlock before the player reaches level 10 in fishing. The crab pots are in the game primarily as an alternate way to grind fishing XP. (I.e., folks who dislike the fishing mini-game can still increase their fishing skill.) So anything that eases use of the crab pots could only come into play after XP is not an issue.

Edited: I'd forgotten their secondary purpose, which has to do with access to fishing buffs that don't require using the fishing rod (lobster bisque and fish stew). Doesn't change my overall point - crab pots support players who don't want to interact much with the fishing system, so any tweaks prior the late game would make them overpowered.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
                      • Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the idea of junimos dealing with the crab pots. Maybe if you put a bunch of bait in a crate and it's against their hut then they could bait and harvest and place things into the chest? Of course that would only work on your own farm unless you could place a hut in other map areas

• oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Sounds neat, but maybe broaden the scope of the ring's ability to make it more useful for people who dont rely on crab pots? like maybe the ring could also harvest nearby crops if they are ready, or shake trees and bushes when you walk by

• Gewitsch

My intention with this ring is to improve a certain aspect about the game.
                            The concept is to have several rings that makes you think about your situation. You have to decide whether you need "A" or "B" currently. Making a ring with so many positive properties is like calling it "Don'tThinkJustWearMe".

The junimo huts are a nice addition. Maybe a little improvement in their concept, but they are a farmers helping hand. For fruit trees I see right now comfortable situation. You just walk along the trees and shake them. Your collection radius then determines if you have to walk to the fruit or get it. Shaking bushes is essential in year one, but after that becomes less meaningful.

Try to think going from the 5 skillsets and then differentiate there like with farming between animals and crops. So every playthrough makes fun and is not a tedius job.