New content to possibly be added HYPE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MagicallyClueless, Nov 14, 2017.

1. MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

read CA's tweet here!
    https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/930520306430615552

CA teased some new content alongside the multiplayer update, which makes me SO EXCITED. I'm not going to try to expect too much, but I really hope some things will be added (especially end-game) to enrich the SDV experience.

So, what are you guys excited about? What do you hope will be in the next update? WHAT'S UP WITH THAT BOAT?

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

CA is the gift that keeps on giving. I was already looking forward to multiplayer to turn the game into something social to share with friends, but new content sounds spiff. That boat is a nice little tease, but if I had to speculate, I'd guess it's probably part of a cut scene, or possibly a new seasonal event-- lit up like that at night, it looks like something fun for the Summer. But, who knows?

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Ohh, that's exciting! Honestly did not expect to get more content ever other than multiplayer, so this is great news :D

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think Lilliput is probably right about the boat, but it would be amazing if it led to a little island with a couple of unique forage items, fish, and an NPC like the desert has.

MagicallyClueless likes this.
          • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Consider me sufficiently hyped!

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Perhaps it's a merchant. We'll see. In any case, it places SDV in an interesting perspective just as HM: Light of Hope has been released.

• Chefpief

Chefpief Subatomic Cosmonaut

Might be Willy's.

Either way, I hope for some new crops and changes to seasonal events to make them more lively. Something to make the game entertaining beyond year 3 other than grinding for that one museum piece that has a 1% spawn chance in the bus station.

• MagicallyClueless

i was wondering if it was a willy cutscene myself! though i'd love for it to be a new island or something, a new area to do stuff in would be freaking awesome

i totally agree with the year 3+ thing chefpief

Dougyhowzer likes this.
                  • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I'm excited for the new content.
                    But I'm also concerned, after putting so much effort on the meat mod, if he is adding meat to the game it will be so much lost work. I'll be happy anyway, and it's unlikely that meat is part of the new content.

• Feathered Sparks

Feathered Sparks Big Damn Hero

*slams hand on table* BOAT DATE. DATE YO SPOUSE.

In all seriousness though, that boat really is intriguing. There's all kinds of things it might be for -- a travelling merchant (though I'm not certain how likely that is since we've already got a travelling cart), some sort of event, travel to a new island destination... the possibilities all seem like they would be pretty cool :D I'm also curious about that color scheme, because it makes it look related to something magical, or perhaps to Mr. Qi.

As for what I'm expecting/hoping to see, I'd imagine that the main focus will be on the multiplayer stuff and other additions probably won't be too dramatic, but it would be neat to see one or more of the following: more interactive children (like, little interaction animations and/or the ability to talk with toddlers, plus kids join you and your spouse at festivals), some variation within festivals (multiple things villagers might say, multiple possible layouts for the Spirit's Eve maze, etc), or some kind of Community Center events for post-game (things like art shows or woodworking classes, with an equivalent in a different location for Joja-route). Again, I'm not sure if any of these things are very likely since the focus for this update is probably multiplayer, buut it would still be cool :p

Edit: Actually, come to think of it... There might be some additions to children because of multiplayer, since everyone will be able to marry and presumably have kids and otherwise there would most likely be a bunch of identical kids running around. It's possible that a system might be implemented where the kid's sprite depends on your spouse, though that does raise the question of how it would work with adopted children...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
                      • MagicallyClueless

more interactive children would be amazing and more variation with festivals

i don't want to get too carried away with thinking but at the same time i just really want it to happen AHHHHH

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I think your fears are groundless. :poke: (Pun intentional.) CA is apparently vegan in real life and never wanted to add meat in to begin with; he only started going that way during development on behest of some player suggestions and changed his mind. Your efforts for your own mod are secure.

Willy seems like the most likely character for owning the boat, and perhaps CA intends to add some new cut-scenes for non-marriage candidates. I'd personally get a kick out of the boat being another money-sink for the player, someplace you could own and perhaps decorate. But, cut-scene seems far more likely.

• absimiliard_the_elder

absimiliard_the_elder Subatomic Cosmonaut

My money's on the boat being part of a new Willy cut-scene. (mostly because that's what I'd like it to be: I always felt Willy's economic position wasn't really clear to me, and I like crusty old fishermen {possibly because I might want to be one IRL} so I want more content w. him.)

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

By the by, I also noticed this tweet from a few days earlier, which I don't believe I have seen linked here:

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/928331429758476288

Note the mini-cabins for multiplayers. Very cute designs for a log cabin or a stonework cottage. I hope those chimneys means they get their own fireplaces!

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

From one vegan to another (vegetarian), CA said in his recent Q&A on Twitter that one of his favorite snacks is sardines. If it was a joke of some kind, it went right over my head, so I'm left with the impression that he's neither vegan or vegetarian. :(

I still don't think he's adding any animal slaughter mechanics to the game, though, so have to agree that mod efforts are not in vain.

MagicallyClueless and Digus like this.
                                • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Link to relevant interview where his being vegetarian (not vegan, I mis-remembered that degree of vegetarianism) is mentioned:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/first-time-developer-made-stardew-valley.html

Not vegan, though, my memory was faulty on that. Either the sardines thing was a joke or he's a pesco-vegetarian who still eats seafood.

ChaosAzeroth and margotbean like this.
                                  • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I don't know about he developing it because players asked. He implemented it really early in the game(probably just a few people were following the development), and removed it less than a year before release. I didn't have to do much to put meat back in the game, it even ended up on the animal bundle by it self.
                                    What I think happened is that he add it simple because people raise animals for meat, it was a farm game and he just implemented it. When the game was near completing, by then he already have lots of character, story, music and stuff, then he thought it didn't work with the mood in the game and removed it. It was also one less thing to balance before release.

It would be nice to have more content on animals, but I agree that he probably is not working on that.
                                    I'm now think on ideas to expand my mod to improve animal husbandry as a whole.

• Eridanos

Eridanos Tentacle Wrangler

Well, this is a nice surprise! I do hope it is a new area with more stuff to do. (Not everyone gets their kicks going down endlessly in Skull Cavern)

Also love the multiplayer cabins, wonder if they're special Sheds or standalone homes.

I know SDV is ConcernedApe's baby and the fact that he made it solo adds to its charm. but now I feel he could delegate some stuff in order to not overwhelm himself. Of course he would still hold creative authority and basically the new stuff would still come from him, but he could have others help him ease the workload. That way SDV's world could keep growing.

• Odd Farmer

Odd Farmer Big Damn Hero

I'm looking forward to new content, though I really don't care about multiplayer that much. But of course, it's always a 'can', not a must - so I'm all in the green with it^^

• absimiliard_the_elder

absimiliard_the_elder Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oooh, pretty log and stone cabins .....

Thx Lilliput.