Needs more spouse autonomy

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ParanoiacPi, Mar 14, 2016.

1. ParanoiacPi

ParanoiacPi Space Hobo

Hello,

I guess you can consider this my introduction.

I just recently purchased the game and for the price it is more that I could ever have asked for.
    I went through nearly a season per day now and I've got myself a spouse. (Abby)

I'm making this suggestion merely because it was the first time during my play that I felt a slight... emptyness?

More to the point, before I married abby she was so active. She was an aspiring adventurer for goodness sake.
    I know there have been many other posts about marriage lacking definition so I'm not going to hammer on about it.

My main point is that, without even adding new features you could simply have my the spouses at least keep up old routines like playing the flute in the mountain or heading to the saloon on some afternoons.

While I appreciate all the love and help on the farm, I feel like I've caged a wonderful bird and it's making me sad to hear it sing.

While there may be much to improve in married life, I do think that some things should stay the way they were before the ceremony. I mean, one of the cutscenes Abby basically champions non-traditional lifestyles and the ridiculousness of gender norms.

Anyone else feeling this?

Leftymu, powerdemon and Trifoilum like this.
    • ishizu29

ishizu29 Subatomic Cosmonaut

i just added a thread trying to discuss that very point. my husband (sebastian) just stopped doing all the things he liked and that we bonded over while dating.
      now he´s just,,,sorta there. mopes around the house, going from one room to another. it´s sad to watch.

Leftymu and powerdemon like this.
      • ParanoiacPi

ParanoiacPi Space Hobo

I feel your pain. I did read your post but it seemed more to do with actually participating in activities with your spouse. My suggestion is that they are just like "I'm going to hang out at my mom's, I'll see you later tonight" or something along those lines. Hence the autonomy part of the subject. I do agree that our posts are very related. I'm not sure if your post was the one that mentioned having spouse related visitors as well. Like I said, there are many posts related to post marriage life.

powerdemon and Trifoilum like this.
        • ishizu29

ishizu29 Subatomic Cosmonaut

i did mention that he (sebastian) never hung out with his freind any more, but not about actually having visitors. must´ve been another thread though that is an interesting idea.

• ParanoiacPi

ParanoiacPi Space Hobo

I'm not sure if we have a direct line to the dev or not (for his(Edit: /her haven't looked into it) sake I hope not) but it seems like this is a growing issue. Perhaps we could make a discussion thread?

• PerkulatorBenny

PerkulatorBenny Orbital Explorer

ConcernedApe has said that he's planning on expanding on married life to make it so that your spouse doesn't lose all personality once you get married, so he's already aware of and working on this problem.

• ParanoiacPi

ParanoiacPi Space Hobo

Well, I await their improvements. It seems that it was just a case of too little time for development then? Us gamers can sure be impatient.

• PerkulatorBenny

PerkulatorBenny Orbital Explorer

I wouldn't say "too little time", it was more like: He felt that it was time to release the game, and would work on improving it after release instead of leaving it "in development" for eternity.

Leftymu and Trifoilum like this.
                  • ParanoiacPi

ParanoiacPi Space Hobo

Well, I guess I can see your point. Sometimes you just need to get it out there. I really do prefer to be a part of the development process anyways. It's awesome to watch a project grow into something even more beautiful than you could have imagined yourself.

Anyhow,
                    Since my suggestion has already been taken into consideration I feel as though I have nothing more to add at this point.

• Trifoilum

Trifoilum Cosmic Narwhal

Considering he's also struggling to fix bugs and such, I cannot really blame ConcernedApe at all here.

But I agree with you.

• MariahDawn

MariahDawn Orbital Explorer

Maybe he could do a sort of Rune Factory-ish thing where you could bring your spouse around with you as well~ maybe if more exploreable areas are added later on, you could dungeon-crawl with your waifu or husband or however you roll.

M.Car likes this.
                        • M.Car

M.Car Space Penguin Leader

I like the idea of snake-chaining your wife/husband around. Maybe hand them a slingshot and keep the baddies at bay while they plink away? More storage space, potentially? With a second backpack?

Now to just find a sitter.

• MariahDawn

MariahDawn Orbital Explorer

Of course they would have their own interests and playstyles as well , for example , I know Abby uses a Sword (atleast from getting to look in her room), so she would like using swords more. Also you have HP to worry about with your spouse, where you can even add the feature of, if she/he is KO'ed , you have to take them to the doctors , as in pick them up and carry them out... not a needed idea but you get that lovey dovey hero feeling when you save your love~

• ParanoiacPi

ParanoiacPi Space Hobo

That was definitely something I'd like to see. I mean, the last cutscene with Abby was her trying to go adventuring on her own in the mines. I think that it would also be kind of fun to see friendship expanded in this way. I think it would be cool to go on a boat trip with willy or take linus with you into the mines as well.