Modding Help Need a patch code/file to replace all armors

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Bubbline, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Bubbline

Bubbline Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, for those out there who know how to use JSON or whatever .patch files use (yes I'm that clueless) I was wondering if there was a .patch file that replaces all vanilla armor? I ask because I'm sprite modding every piece aside from hats and backs, but there are so many files to type into a .patch, and I was hoping there was a premade .patch file for that, or maybe even a shortcut? I'm referring to something like the attachment, an "op" : "replace", code.

If no such thing exists, well... I've got a lot of typing ahead of me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. GonDragon

GonDragon Pangalactic Porcupine

If you are only editing the sprite, you don't need any patch. Just put the edited sprite in the exact same place, with the exact same name as the vanilla sprite.

If you want to change things into the armor (like, the value, the stats, etc.), then you need to write one patch file for every armor, because the patches are per file. Here it is a basic guide that I hope it helps you to understand how the patches work.

3. Bubbline

Bubbline Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm trying to make a ,pak file for the mod for ease of removal. Don't I need patch files for that or am i wrong? From my experience, when I changed the sprite of the hylotl kimono and packed it the game would always crash, and in the log it said there were duplicate file names. When I added the hylotl_kimono.patch file to the mod's files it worked.

4. GonDragon

GonDragon Pangalactic Porcupine

That hylotl_kimono.patch file does nothing, so, there are other things that are you doing wrong.

The duplicated thing in the logs, only appear if you make .chest and .legs files with the same name as they vanilla counterpart.

The .pak file and the mod folder acts in the same way.

So, please, read the basic patching guide, maybe it helps you to understand how the patches work.