1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed My game is broken

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by JaxxOfAllGames, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macish

Macish Void-Bound Voyager

people overuse the word 'literally' all the time...

in this case 'won't play' probably means the game will launch but cant get in game. 'Literally won't play' probably means game will not launch at all...

anyways we're sidetracking slightly...anyone got any suggestions on how to get this guy a refund or more preferably fix the game?

2. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Refund wont happen. Possible fixes has been posted.

3. Macish

have you tried appealing to the devs directly? give Molly a poke via twitter and see if she has some sort of resolution for you...Failing that the only recommendation i have is to wait for the update and see if the mystical great wipe does you a favour. The update is very soon...maybe they've fixed something that will agree with your computer?

4. SweFox

SweFox Guest

I'm not the one with the problem but I just said that the problem he has is a problem loads of people had on 4th DEC when the beta released.

Possible fixes got posted everywhere etc. And I posted how I fixed it the other page, I had the very same error.

5. Macish

note to self: read through thread properly before posting :p

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

For it to be the game - it shouldn't work on anyone's computer.
    It is because the computer does not fit in the profile with the game. The computer is unable to play it.

Your argument would essentially be the same as,
    Overweight unhealthy person trying to compete for the Iron Man Competition.
    Then complaining the competition is broken because he can't finish it.

The game has no issue.
    Only the computer incapable of playing it does.

7. Macish

True, but if his PC meets the minimum specs, in theory he should be able to play...The issue may be with OP's PC but that doesnt make the game faultless :p

your analogy would be more accurate if the overweight unhealthy person was disqualified before he even had a chance to start...

8. Fiben Bolger

Fiben Bolger Pangalactic Porcupine

The game won't play because the OP is overweight? Is that literally overweight or is he overweight as in "actually thin"?

Macish likes this.
  9. Macish

lmao!

10. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Well, since ALMOST NO ONE POSTS THE WHOLE GODDAMNED STACK TRACE OR THE LOG, it is difficult to tell what the problem is.

But a short list of things which cause Access Violations, NOT including things SBDiagnose will detect:

1) ASUS Xonar processes that don't involve HsSrv.dll (this seems to be an unusual case)
    2) Certain antivirus software (Emsisoft is a confirmed offender)
    3) Malware/Spyware (Webwatcher is a confirmed offender)
    4) Bad assets, mods, or other invalid data.

Except for (MAYBE) #4, zero of these are actually problems with Starbound.

11. SweFox

SweFox Guest

No it's not his or anyones computer. When the beta launched 4th DEC loads of people got the violation error. I as well couldn't launch the game at all. I tried all possible fixes such as running as admin, comp mode etc etc. Nothing worked for me until a very awesome guy mentioned randomly "maybe if you turn on UAC, that would be hilarious" and it goddamn worked, I could launch the game just fine.

The game definitely have issues. I cannot launch the game from the folder at all, but I can launch it fine from Steam, there are weird stuff going on. The admin, comp trick doesn't work for everyone, not even turning on UAC. Some people can't even play the game right now because of this error. This is not even the only error that makes some people unable to play.

12. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Jesus, stop with the ridiculous, uninformed speculation. Access Violations are pseudounique. Why do people keep saying "the access violation error" as though there is ONE issue that causes ALL segfaults?

MOST of the issues currently causing AVs have NOTHING to do with Starbound, and EVERYTHING to do with the specific system and software on which it is running.

13. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Like you said the violation errors pops up because of different stuff so it's not always the same for everyone. But can you really say the game is without flaws and it's the computer itself that is "broken"?

14. The | Suit

You are only suppose to launch the game from steam.
    That isn't an error. Starbound.exe uses a steam wrapper. You are using a DRM version of starbound. The non DRM version has yet to be released.
    In this case not computer problem, or starbound problem.
    That would be Human Error.

15. SweFox

SweFox Guest

False, the Steam version is also the DRM free version because you can launch it just fine from the folder.

I just had to run it as admin from the folder directly.

16. The | Suit

Yes... That's what I said. It is the DRM version.
    No..... when you ran with Admin. You allowed Steam Hook to activate.
    Exit steam and try to run starbound. See what happens.

17. SweFox

SweFox Guest

I meant DRM free*

Starbound launches :).

18. The | Suit

Strange - they probably removed the hook in a later version with people having the error

19. Since the topic went completely off the rails I'm going to close it now.
    Send me a PM if you need anything OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.