Mouse-over library book titles

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Spazzas, Apr 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Spazzas

Spazzas Aquatic Astronaut

I've collected a fair few books for the library, and they do contain some very useful gameplay information. I don't want to hop over to the wiki all the time because it breaks immersion, so if the library books could have a mouse-over title that tells you what the books are about and/or have the books categorized into fishing, farming sections etc, that would be really useful.

Borodin, Jaed, BlowITA and 2 others like this.
    • Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept Lucky Number 13

I wholehearted, 100%, beyond any shadow of a doubt, support this idea. Thank you.

Sh4dowWalker96 and Spazzas like this.
      • BlowITA

BlowITA Space Hobo

That, or open a list of the collected books when you click the bookshelves, and let us select which one we want to read (without needing to move around to open other books).

ssokolow, Spazzas and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
        • Spazzas

That's a great idea too!

• MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Hovering with the mouse would not do for gamepad.

What if getting near each found book made it pop out the shelf and showed a tooltip with the name?

It won't be as easy as with mouseover, you'll have to walk in front of each, but you won't have to open them and read them to know which one is which.

• Jaed

Jaed Industrial Terraformer

Once I realized all those books I'd found were available to be read, I kind of got into it. But those two at the front - always the same, always unread - bug the crap out of me. I presume this is a bug.

• Spazzas

I don't have that problem - did you try to read those books from both sides of the bookshelf? The exact position may take some trial and error to find out.

On the other hand, I'm still digging up books but no new "unread" icons have appeared in my library. I wonder if this means I've already found them all?

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree, there should be some sort of indicator how many books are available, how many you have collected, and each title that you can read/choose to read

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

I'd like to see something along the lines of "Click anywhere on the bookshelves and you get a menu/list of "???" entries which slowly get replaced with book titles".

That would have the following benefits:
                    1. No struggling to find the right place to stand to dismiss an unread balloon (everyone I know has struggled with that)
                    2. Much more practical (Because time doesn't pause inside buildings and the library has no card catalogue, I just rely on the wiki after dismissing the unread balloons)
                    3. CA can add new books in updates without being limited to one book per map tile
                    4. Because of the "there's a book missing here" message, we already know how many "???" entries there would be, so it's no big spoiler.