Monster combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

This can be done without sacrificing speed by requiring split second timing; And the old way of constantly swinging a weapon in front of you will still work, but it'll just be less efficient.

JoeBlk likes this.
  2. allensionov

allensionov Aquatic Astronaut

This sounds awesome cant wait for this to be implemented.

JoeBlk likes this.
  3. This is sounding -very- good! I've never liked touch-damage on monsters, this will be a great way to not only unify non-hostile and hostile enemy reactions but make the combat more like what I was imagining at the start.

JoeBlk likes this.
  4. dem0nmech

dem0nmech Aquatic Astronaut

awesome, wanted some form of a block for 2 handed weapons and low and behold, wonder if its gonna affect the alternate attacks of elemental weapons or if its gonna be hand specific. would love a thirst bar to add extra survival elements to the game, can have it in regular mode or make thirst a hardcore only element to the game, or possibly a difficulty toggle :)

JoeBlk likes this.
  5. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

Yeah this is my concern, this seems like it's going to slow things down to a crawl, and perhaps not fit entirely well into the game, as you said, when multiple enemies are attacking (Which is almost always). I always imagined a system more like that in King Arthur's Gold would be more appropriate for Starbound.

We'll see, though virtually anything is an improvement on the current system.

JoeBlk and Piccolo like this.
  6. AndyMugu

AndyMugu Void-Bound Voyager

I think that's where the positioning mechanic takes place, where if the monster can't be in front it'll share your space

JoeBlk likes this.
  7. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

As long as the fights feel and sound meaty this will be perfect! Add a bit of screenshake for really strong hits for example.

8. Aer_

Aer_ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ravager, JoeBlk and Piccolo like this.
  9. Nymall

Nymall 2.7182818284590...

Nice! I look forward to trying this new system out.

JoeBlk likes this.
  10. Blankdud

Blankdud Aquatic Astronaut

This method of combat sounds way more engaging and interesting than what we currently have. My only suggestion (and this would probably have already been thought of by you guys) would be that monsters have different "attack positions" based on their attack type. Ex. Ranged monsters will do their best to stay away from you while attacking, charging monsters will start charging from mid-range.

JoeBlk likes this.
  11. HellsBells

HellsBells Void-Bound Voyager

I liked the idea. Sound cool especially if the monsters have multiple attack patterns. But I don't know about remove touch damage completely because it may cause this wierd situation:

[​IMG]

If this is not a problem then I still recommend use touch damage for some specific monsters or attacks (like body slam or a fire/spike monster).

Ravager, Lintton, JoeBlk and 2 others like this.
  12. Boreas

Boreas Aquatic Astronaut

It sounds great. But it will be a lot of work to make this system feel intuitive. How will the fight against multiple mobs work? And in late game with double jump and all that - will evasion be too easy? And how will the Bossfights change? Still just "draining down much HP"? Perhaps some Pre-Designed, not changable Arenas would make it less easyer to bunker-in for that.

Nice to see you really try to make a new combat experience. I hope it will work out.

Ravager, JoeBlk and Elate like this.
  13. hiul

hiul Void-Bound Voyager

i like it ;) but maybe add knokback for small monster and make the monster unpassable like in the second picture so we cant just walk away but need to jump or dodge them when the monster in battle mode so when we fight many monster they can suround us and we cant just move away like they never blocking your way

JoeBlk and Piccolo like this.
  14. papachabre

papachabre Pangalactic Porcupine

Sounds good. I especially like the new shield blocking mechanic and love the 2-handed, skill-based parry mechanic! I'm all for skill-based mechanics like this.

JoeBlk likes this.
  15. OneOnlyDan

OneOnlyDan Cosmic Narwhal

I guess now shields will get stats that decides how much damage they can block.

EDIT: What about if you walk past (walk, not run) an enemy there is a slight chance they won't attack you.

Enzencho and JoeBlk like this.
  16. hellspawn3200

hellspawn3200 Void-Bound Voyager

sounds inerensting, definately looking forward to beter combatt mechanics.

17. rf314

rf314 Void-Bound Voyager

I will miss badass hammer THUMP knockbacks... :confused:

Other than that, the intended mechanism looks awesome with the fencing-like mechanics. :rofl:
    Still I think it might kind of break the idea of having different types of weapons. You have to make sure that the enemy is in range of close combat weapons e.g. daggers, but then what is the point of having a far-reaching pike? :confused::confused:

Also, what happens when there are several enemies onto you? Do they each wait their turn? Surround you?

I'm excited to see these changes, but it will definitely need some beta-testing. :p

JoeBlk likes this.
  18. Vixenous Vermin God

Vixenous Vermin God Void-Bound Voyager

This seems way better than the current system. Rather than horizontally juggling a horde of monsters, I will now actually have to move around and dodge. Also I don't have to think about not touching them, if the touch damage is removed. I found it a bit silly all along.

Also the shield mechanics: They do make it so, that using a shield will be much more skillbased. Of course you can also just block.

I look greatly forward to it all! especially all the monster attacks.

JoeBlk likes this.
  19. velkos4ever

velkos4ever Void-Bound Voyager

Nice changes right there can't wait to see them :)

JoeBlk likes this.
  20. Electric0Eye

Electric0Eye Phantasmal Quasar

I have to say I am very excited for these ideas, in theory they sound excellent! Having combat like this would completely change the way the game as a whole plays. Without necessarily increasing the overall 'difficulty', but making the game more challenging in a fun way, and completely changing our outlook on any combat or exploring based situation. Such as, even exploring the surface of a planet would be much more entertaining! Can't wait to hear more about this, keep up the good work guys!

JoeBlk likes this.