1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Mods on Mac? (Steam)

Discussion in 'Support' started by nmen3, Aug 16, 2016.

1. nmen3

nmen3 Intergalactic Tourist

Is there any way to mod the steam version of the game? I want to have some fun with them but I can't find a way to mod it. If anyone knows, I'll be very appreciated!

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

I don't see why there wouldn't be. I'm not a Steam user, but I don't think Steam verifies all of the files on every boot.

Start with some XNB mods (eg. re-skins) since those should be easiest to get going as a start and I can verify that they work on non-Windows versions of the GOG release. (I'm a Linux user)

• spiritslive99

spiritslive99 Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think you'd be able to mod with anything other than XNB mods, purely because the executable for SMAPI, the most used mod loader, is an exe, and Mac's can't run those. I'm also not the biggest tech whiz, though, so I might be wrong!

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

Sorted from least to most likely to require technical knowledge...

If you're willing to fudge the "on Mac" part, installing the right .NET versions in the right order to prevent an "X clobbers Y install" bug will allow you to run the Windows SDV and SMAPI inside Wine/Wineskin.

Failing that, SMAPI is a .NET 4.5 executable (CLR EXEs are sort of like self-extracting Zips. They're an EXE stub paired with non-EXE content... in this case, a "find the .NET runtime" stub, paired with CLR bytecode.), so it may run under the same Mono install as the native MacOS SDV.
          (There's also a version backported to .NET 4.0 for easier Wine installs which could be tried, though it may not have 100% mod compatibility.)

The question is whether SMAPI relies on any Pinvoke DLL calls or any .NET APIs that Mono didn't re-implement, such as the bits of the WinForms GUI API that are just direct wrappers for Windows-specific APIs.

Worst case scenario, SMAPI is open-source, so someone with C# programming experience can rewrite any Windows-specific bits to work with Mono and it'll then support both Linux and MacOS.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016