1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

ModPackHelper [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Outdated Mods' started by Dolan, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobius

Mobius Big Damn Hero

Well...I did it individually to reduce risk of it not working(predicting it might make it into a modpack that doesn't work).

And unfortunately I report that the mods aren't actually working for some reason but the game works(I could be wrong but maybe it's a different Enraged Koala update I need)

2. Underbalanced

Underbalanced Phantasmal Quasar

For a mod to work, it must have these two files in the mod folder name:
    Starbound\mods\<mod_folder_X>\mod_name.modinfo
    Starbound\mods\<mod_folder_X>\mod_name.modpak

With your script it seems to take the <mod_folder_X> and just packs it as a whole. This will not work. Instead the folder contents need to be turned into a pak within that folder, BUT leaving .modinfo out of the pak.

3. Underbalanced

I am on teamspeak 3 if you want to talk about it. ts3.myfu.net

4. Dolan

Dolan Pangalactic Porcupine

Based on what bartwe says
    I've tried this :

1] Move "mod_name.modinfo" out of the "mod_folder"
    Pack the entire "mod_folder"
    Move the "mod_name.modpak" to "mod_folder"
    Move the "mod_name.modinfo" to "mod_folder"
    => Starbound launch, mod didn't work

2] Try to mix other things like :
    mod_name.modpak and pak.modinfo in mod_folder
    mod_name.modpak and mod_name.modinfo in Starbound\mods
    None of them worked.

The only one who worked

3] Rename "mod_name.modinfo" to "pak.modinfo"
    Pack the entire mod_folder and put it in "Starbound\mods".
    Delete the folder.
    => Starbound launched, mod worked

So I could adapt my script to :
    1. Rename "mod_name.modinfo" to "pak.modinfo"
    2. Pack "mod_folder" to "Starbound\mods"
    3. Name back "pak.modinfo" to "mod_name.modinfo"

Edit : It seems that the 3 last steps I described up there are the good one
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/modding-with-pak-files.69950/#post-1777883

This process is based on the update of february. The process you are telling Underbalanced, seems to be base on the december update (Which one seems to not include the modinfo file in the pak)

5. Underbalanced

Ok, so I realize where i was off in my assumption. I have not packed much because i do use 50+ mods and its a lot of work by hand. If you can get the mass pack feature to work. I will be certainly packing the mods. makes it for faster movement between drives and unzipping from .zips

6. tynaut

tynaut Sandwich Man

Maybe you've already resolved it, but just to throw in my two cents as a modder, what I've seen is that you should:

- Pack an folder with mod and pak.modinfo files into .modpak
    - Place .modpak into the root /mods folder

If the .modpak is moved to a subfolder, it needs an additional modinfo file in the subfolder to give a path to .modpak. Otherwise the pak.modinfo file contained inside the pak is sufficient if the modpak is in the root mod folder.
    Following this method, the mod should only be one file, no folders, placed in /mods. This should make the lives of those running servers a lot easier. And yes, I do believe this is based on february update.

7. Dolan

Thanks tynaut you confirmed my thoughts.

The new version for windows is ready but I will release it when the linux version will be ready too

8. Stormalisk

Stormalisk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Been trying to open .paks on linux for ages now.

I am wondering, do I need another third party program to run this file? I am not quite sure what I must do, I rather avoid even more third party programs to open .paks.

9. Dolan

After some test with the last version of Starbound (Beta v. Enraged Koala - Update 6), it seems that the only way to get a modpak to work is to place the .modpak file in the Starbound\mods folder. The modpak file has to include a pak.modinfo.
    I Stormalisk, if you are using the Linux .sh file, you just have to check if this one is executable and then just launch it.
    No third party program, I just use shell commands to keep it usefull for as much modders as they are.

Just a warn about the current version 0.6. This version could pack and unpack files but for the packing process I'm working on a fix because if your .modinfo file is not name as pak.modinfo before the packing process, Starbound won't launch.

The version 0.7 coming soon, will rename the *.modinfo to pak.modinfo before packing and then restore it's name to <mod_name>.modinfo

10. Stormalisk

It keeps opening it as a text file, even though I set it as an executable.

11. Dolan

I'm not a common user of a Linux with GUI (like Ubuntu) but depending of your Starbound\mods folder location (if the shell is placed in), launch the shell with Terminal Emulator :

1. Open Terminal Emulator
    2. Go to your "Starbound\mods" folder (Change USER and/or path with the correct one) :
    ie : cd /home/USER/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/mods​
    3. Type (Change if needed with the correct version) :
    ./ModPackHelper_v0.6.sh​
    Don't forget the "." at the begining
    Tips : When typing "./Mod" push the Tab key, it will autocomplete the full name.

12. Stormalisk

The pathing i have is /Home/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/mods, it keeps saying it is an unknown directory.

13. Dolan

After what action did you get the message "unknown directory" ?

14. Stormalisk

Entering the full directory and with mod at the end. Also tried checking the directory without the mod at the end. I thought I knew how to do this but apparently I have no idea because i've attempted this many times.

15. Dolan

In the terminal emulator, try the Tab key on each folders.
    If it does not autocomplete, double tap Tab to see corresponding folder list.
    If still nothing, it's because the name (folder does not exist)

ie : cd /Ho => Tab key => cd /Home/
    cd /Home/.lo => Tab key => cd /Home/.local/
    cd /Home/.local/sha => Tab key => cd /Home/.local/share/
    cd /Home/.local/share/Ste => Tab key => cd /Home/.local/share/Steam/
    etc... etc... until cd /Home/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/mods/
    (Don't forget that Linux is case sensitive)

16. Stormalisk

Tried using Tab, wont work for some reason.... Got to cd/Ho and tab won't do anything

17. Dolan

You need a space between cd and /Ho

18. Stormalisk

Tab is still doing nothing

19. Dolan

Did you get a list of folders when double tapping Tab with only "cd /" ?

20. Stormalisk

After a few attempts i got a list, apparently my home has no capital h, now working on the .local

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.