Modding Discussion Modding starbound to make it similar to starflight, freelancer, X3, eve online etc

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Asteroides, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Asteroides

Asteroides Subatomic Cosmonaut

So access to alot of trading options. Buy low somewhere, sell high somewhere else. Rare resources in an area get bought at a high price when they are needed. Maybe atmosphere that you can harvest. Factions where if you kill an enemy of a particular faction, your faction raises enough so they first stop shooting at you, then be able to trade at their cities if they have some. Rare creatures you can tame and then sell if you want, animal raising venture. Less randomness and more staticness, like plants needing a specific set of conditions to be able to grow, same with animals. Static loot drops for particular creatures. Upgradeable ship(s), new ships that you can buy or steal from an NPC and then sell, or find abandoned in an old lab, things like that. Terraforming. Factories you can build or buy that are automated and produce a particular item thats needed by the inhabitants of that planet and local region. Alien cattle, Ship components, etc etc...

Sorry its a bit stream of consciousness ish but i didnt want to forget anything, and wanted to put the idea out there asap.

Hopefully the devs release a set of tools similar to what i suggested here, it would go a long way toward making something like this happen, but maybe modders are already on top of this:

http://community.playstarbound.com/...your-own-universe-share-it-with-people.25081/

Would blow my mind to play this kind of gameplay with starbound.

2. Voidnaut

Voidnaut Big Damn Hero

I think one way to do the economy thing would be with "dungeons" that feature merchant NPCs with semi-random prices for generic commodities. It wouldn't be a genuine simulation of supply and demand, but it'd be a very simple, easy way to get started on a "free trader"-type content layer.

3. Asteroides

Asteroides Subatomic Cosmonaut

It could be fixed with a little variation, according to the region or the faction of the person that is interacting with the npc. Id probably ditch the procedural process for something like this, id rather have 50 hand crafted systems than a bunch more of random ones. Just like in say X-3 where factions control parts of the map and you cherry pick and design each and every planet, the fauna flaura, NPCs etc. A faction could win or lose a system with player participation. Im tempted to try to mod something like this, not sure how complicated it all is, ill look into it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013