Modding Help Modding Causing Crashes?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Sniperfire, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Sniperfire

Sniperfire Space Spelunker

Hey guys. I've been through most of the stickied modding guides and I have a relatively solid knowledge base in both Lua and C++, so I'm pretty sure I'm not just being a complete idiot, but I probably missed something really obvious and I was wondering if you would help me.

First off, what I was trying to do was mod the Matter Manipulator (beamaxe.beamaxe) with notepad ++ to make it much more useful and so that the game would feel more like sci-fi and less like minecraft. On top of that I also modded the tutorial quest to give me some high tier gear and tech as per this thread http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/easy-way-to-spawn-items.36463/.

I previously had the item spawning thing working just fine, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem, but literally all I did to the beamaxe was change the fire rate and the area of effect. The end result of this (or something?) was that every time I open the Starbound launcher it crashes immediately and gives me an error. It doesn't give me an error popup, just the generic windows 7 one.

Even putting everything I changed exactly back the way it was doesn't fix this, I have to delete the assets folder and verify the game cache through steam to fix it, which sucks.

Also, before you ask about using the bootstrapper and loading mods the correct way, if I do it that way it just freezes at the "Loading" screen instead. Here's hoping I'm just a moron who missed something obvious. Thanks for the help guys!

2. Platoonsgt1

Platoonsgt1 Big Damn Hero

Launch the server, and when it crashes, it'll tell you why it crashed.

3. Sniperfire

Thanks very much. Will post again if i can't figure it out.

4. Ty525

Ty525 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well this is convenient. I was just about to post exactly this. So instead of making a new, unnecessary thread i'm just gonna bump this one.

I'm having the same problem. I'm running on a macbook, so i see the icon pop up and immediately close itself before it can open. As was said, even changing the files back to what they were doesn't fix it. Problem is, there's no crash log either. Only way i've found to fix it was completely redownloading the game.

No matter where i look i can't get a straight answer as to why this is happening, so i'd really appreciate if someone could help. Or at least explain why i'm not getting a crash report.

EDIT: paying a little more attention to the OP, my problem seems a little bit different. But fuck it, close enough to warrant the same thread.

5. Sniperfire

Okay, i figured out what the problem was. It looks like i made some syntax errors while changing and files and while i did catch them and correct them, the player and universe files still had the versions with syntax errors. Delete the universe and player files and it SHOULD work. Hope this helps you Ty525.

6. Ty525

You know, once i figured out what all that technospeak actually meant, it actually would explain a lot. Gonna try one last thing than see if that's my problem. I'll edit this post with an answer if that's it.

7. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

What he posted basically means you deleted a comma, bracket or quotation mark / entered the wrong type of variable.

8. Sniperfire

Yeah. In programming there are two main types of errors (keeping it simple) Syntactic or Syntax errors, and Logical errors. Syntax errors have to do with missing a close paren or a comma or some kind of mechanical thing. Logical errors basically mean that the code is functioning as it is written... but not working as intended. A program will probably not compile or run with a Syntax error, but logical errors can sneak through.

Basically yeah, you probably deleted a comma or have one too many at the end. The last item in the list should not have a comma after it, and you need to close both sets of brackets. It should looks like this:

Rewards:

[ [ "stuff", 1],
    [ "stuff2", 1]
    ]
    ],

9. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

I believe it should be:
    [["stuff", 1],
    ["stuff2", 1]
    ],

10. Ty525

Yeah i managed to gather what you meant. It turned out my problem was a little different, but all the same you really helped. When it comes to why to wouldn't work even when changing it back, now i know how to fix it.

Everything's up and running fine. Had to kill my save files again, but hopefully that wipe is coming soon enough i won't regret it. Thanks for the help.