Modding Discussion Mod theory/creation/discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SkyeTheTerribleBeastie, Nov 14, 2017.

1. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

SkyeTheTerribleBeastie Pangalactic Porcupine

Let's say I want to create a mod that actively creates an overlay on the screen that displays the content of a .log or .txt file, and is the first thing loaded when Starbound starts. Is this possible? And to have the displayed file update every other frame or so? The best example would be Starbound.log- updating the displayed file whenever a new line is added to Starbound.log. And would it be possible to only have it show up, say, when it's on a loading screen of sorts?

2. SpazDiesFirst360.0

SpazDiesFirst360.0 Phantasmal Quasar

Sounds like a cool idea, but I think that's impossible. If I am wrong, it probably requires large amounts of lua knowledge. The problems are;
    1. Is this even possible?
    2. If possible, how would someone go about doing this?
    3. Does the modder need vast lua understanding?
    But this is definitely not an idea to toss away.

3. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

SkyeTheTerribleBeastie Pangalactic Porcupine

I believe that in order to do it, the modder would have to at least have been able to create a loading screen replacement mod...
    Once a custom loading screen is implemented, it's just a matter of... I just realized I'm still in over my head. I can provide concepts and possible prerequisites, but anything after that? I'm still learning how to make simple item mods. LOL