REQUEST [Mod] Polyamory

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Nemphorous, Mar 17, 2016.

1. jacjac78

jacjac78 Void-Bound Voyager

currently thought of another possibility gonna see if I can find and edit the core game files and remove the check for spouse, not sure but I'm doing it as a side project to see if I can inject a custom NPC into the game not a reskin. Wish me luck!

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Well, I guess I was smart to search for polyamory in the forums, or else I would be starting a new Mod Request thread in vain :p
      I would love this mod to come to fruition, honestly, since having representation in a game is always a plus! We would be so happy, Abigail, Maru and my character (and, eventually, Shane! I'm so excited for the next update!!)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
        MayaMayhem likes this.
      • MissGhouls

MissGhouls Void-Bound Voyager

As a poly person IRL, i'd really really love to see this mod happen <3 I know it's not for everyone (for reasons already mentioned) but the game is already so incredibly diverse and inclusive, this would be one more step to being my absolute perfect game.

I admittedly haven't read the entire comment section on this thread (i'm still working my way through it) but has anyone thought about where the extra spouses will spawn in the morning? I've married Sebastian and Elliot (in two separate saves) and they both spawn in front of the stove every morning, or standing on the front porch. Would all spouses spawn on the same tile, or would they be moved around?

farmvillesux likes this.
        • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

This is unfortunately impossible to do, the name of the spouse is used to do a massive amount of things, you would have to end up rewriting major parts of stardews code just to get things working.
          (@jacjac78 The check for the spouse CANT be removed, because that same 'check' is the spouse, remove that, and you remove the ability to be married at all)

As stardew stands, the marriage behaviour is build to deeply into the core of the game mechanics, perhaps in the future when a CA-supported mod API is available this will be different, but atm it just isnt doable at all.

• Zero Zet

Zero Zet Space Spelunker

Then how about "Round-Robin" approach, where every day your "spouse" is "beloved waifu of the day" from your harem? Game still gets her one name, and you still get to experience married life with all of your waifus, in turns)

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

The problems with that are A: There are 7 days in a week, and B: There is no way to allow spouses to be chosen dynamically with that.

• Nemphorous

Nemphorous Void-Bound Voyager

I have been inactive within game since I posted this thread. I honestly can't go on in the game without them all. It bothers me that if I complete the game I won't have an 100% completion or that I would have to play the game again via new save.

• Zero Zet

Zero Zet Space Spelunker

A:t the same time, there are 28 days in a season :lickitung:
                  B: Or is it? Are all events for the next day decided on the dayroll and can't be reassigned at the later time, at all? I mean, if it is only a matter of one value of one variable that holds a name of your spouse... Sadly, the reality can't be this convenient. But even in the confines of current system, one still can always select the waifu of the day the day before if so desired)

• MissCoriel

MissCoriel Phantasmal Quasar

I am currently working on this.. I call it the Infidelity mod. I am currently adding new dialogue and such.. I'm still learning Eventing and such and I am missing the element that lets the game know that you're married and to whom.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

The problem with B is that the way to select your spouse (The pendant) is burried inside the give-item-to-npc method along with everything else.
                      And there is no way for a mod to replace that method, so unless and until the API eventually evolves enough to hook into that method directly, we cant change how the game reacts to the pendant...

• Zero Zet

Zero Zet Space Spelunker

Welp, yes, hardcoded stuffs are sure fun. And I am guessing there is no real way to replicate the changes involved with the transition to the spouse status elsewhere, even when save editing can change your partner around, from what I heard?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Not without breaking immersion completely... and I try to not have my mods do so.

• Serendipity37

Serendipity37 Space Spelunker

- quick note, "polyandry" does indeed refer to marriage to two or more men. But "polygyny" is the term that refers to more than one wife, not polygamy. "Polygamy" is a term used to describe multiple spouses regardless of gender, therefor is technically inclusive. Though it is true that in current culture the term is most closely associated with the Mormon practice of a man marrying more than one woman.

That being said I do agree that polyamory might be a better word to use in the case of a mod allowing for multiple simultaneous romances. Also, I would like that mod!

• sarahtaela

sarahtaela Void-Bound Voyager

As a poly lady living (happily!) in a mono relationship, I'd love such a mod. ^_^ It would really just make my year.

• Swiftpaw22

Swiftpaw22 Phantasmal Quasar

A polyamory mod would be great! It'd be best if you could marry anyone and everyone in the whole town if you wanted to, and have them all in one massive bed! Maybe add on one room for each of them as well just for more space for everyone to walk around and do stuff when they aren't walking through town. It would require redoing all of the marriage events and character events for everyone once they were married though, and having them be able to coexist and not run into each other all the time might be a challenge!

Start off with just getting yourself and two other characters married, then you could go from there.

I'm polyamorous and pansexual myself. ^n.n^

You'd have to have pre-marriage, marriage, and post-marriage events all redone with updated positions and pathing logic. You'd have to either make logic for additional spawning locations when you have additional mates, or have set spawn locations that are in slightly different locations for each character in the game. They might all need different pathing so they wouldn't run into each other, too, if that is how the pathing is dealt with in the base game (does everyone have a slightly different path through the town and/or slightly different schedules to make sure they never collide?).

Then what about replacing the pendant item with, say, The Infinity Pendant, so that you can then code new events for that item which triggers its own totally separate marriage events and behaviors? That way you're throwing away the existing game's marriage events and logic and writing your own. If the existing marriage events and behaviors are that untouchable, perhaps that is what you'd need to do. It sounds like that might require making a completely new heart event and like/dislike/love/hate system as well. Not that you couldn't obviously reuse a lot of the existing code for some of that, copy the old heart events over to the new system, etc.

You're correct about the polygamy, as gam means sex cell, any sex cell, both eggs and sperm, so polygamy can mean any genders like you said. However it's funny because you're mixing Latin and Greek, so actually if you want to be super technically accurate, you could say the "true Greek" work for it would be "polyerostry", "poly" for many and "eros" for love. I just use polyamory myself though, lol. X3

So you're compatible with polyamory but choose to shun others because your mate isn't? Ouch, that sounds like potential for conflict to me, shunning love is heartbreaking, but if your mate won't budge on being more open then I guess telling others to stay away or breaking up are your only options.

Also, is modding even possible in v1.1? I heard they started encrypting everything and the tools to decrypt it weren't there yet. Almost like they don't want the game to be modded anymore. Otherwise, the modding to make a polyamory mod would all have to be done on v1.0 until someone finds a way to decrypt the files.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
                                • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

what are you talking about? :S All current mods are for 1.1, and 1.2 is currently in development and can still be worked with just fine...

Voltaic123 likes this.
                                  • Swiftpaw22

Glad to know that I heard wrong! What tool do you use to read/extract data from xnb files then? Also check out my reply to your earlier comment above, Entoarox, about having a mod that adds an alternate heart system as a workaround if the current heart system can't be modified.

• Hammurabi

Hammurabi Big Damn Hero

XNB Node v.0.2.2 is my preferred tool, since it avoids the corruption issues that the other packing/unpacking tools I've seen have with Cursors.xnb

Swiftpaw22 likes this.
                                      • Swiftpaw22

Nice, that does work just fine so far via WINE in Linux, thanks! How hard it would be to add a custom heart event system that would allow for polyamory though, that's another story! X3

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

we'd have to tear out and replace the complete friendship system, simply a huge amount of work for little gain.