1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

MISSING DERRICK-need help finding certain creature

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Yzzey, Jan 11, 2014.

1. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Finn Learson likes this.
  2. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Wow, those look amazing!

(Newb question here, how do we go about downloading the poster and putting it in the game?)

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  3. khamnarei

khamnarei Void-Bound Voyager

Those JSON files require you to use Starcheat. If enough people want it, I was alternatively thinking of placing the sign in a more non-cheat friendly way, on the doorstep of some planet. This would (as far as I know) let people drop a .world file into their universe folder, visit the planet in game and pick up the sign.
    Who wants this?

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  4. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...If we were simply to mod the head part in (which might not be simply, I haven't tried anything like that yet), then a spawner could be added in specifically to spawn Derrick...
    ...Eh, I might try that tomorrow. Or some time after that.

5. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

(I do!)

6. travis5

travis5 Intergalactic Tourist

Everything but his head is here for me

7. bayley

bayley Cosmic Narwhal

Foreshadowing

8. Mouseizure

Mouseizure Void-Bound Voyager

Okay guys, I'm going to make derrick... a motherclucking ship pet.

get crunk m8

EDIT: It didn't work. It kept giving me errors when I saw no faults.

Sorry guys.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  9. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Well, maybe I can help there, since I'm free right now.
    Are the modfiles still in the repo?

10. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I've got the images for him!

Colors:
    upload_2015-5-11_17-42-46.png
    Head;
    upload_2015-5-11_17-43-25.png
    Body:
    upload_2015-5-11_17-43-55.png
    Front Legs:
    upload_2015-5-11_17-44-28.png
    Back Legs:
    upload_2015-5-11_17-44-36.png
    Tail:
    upload_2015-5-11_17-49-20.png

11. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Oh, sweet! I think the ship pets are dependent on the players metadata file, so you'd need to change the way it generates.

12. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Oh uhm well... I know that, I also know how to implement them, thats the good news.
    The bad news... I tried to create the sprites combining the parts @Owl_Stalker posted.
    Believe me, you wouldn't want THAT Derrick on your ship, that's why I'm waiting for @Mouseizure to reply.
    If I can get hold of his sprites, hopefully he still got them, we (or rather you) are basically set.

It'd be a mod to swap out the starter pets, different files for different races.
    At least that's what I planned, Mouseizure got the last word there tho, it's his mod after all. It'd be just me finishing it.

On that note, if anyone else can provide combined sprites, that'd work too.

13. Gevouden

Gevouden Big Damn Hero

Found him. [​IMG] .

The Squid and Kayuko like this.
  14. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

So I found the problem with my sprites. They're directly taken from the monsterpart files and have a completely different format.

I'm working on a new spritesheet, but it'll need custom animations (Ex. Eating, sleeping, swimming, etc.).
    upload_2015-5-11_20-40-37.png

rhomboid, Yzzey and MysticMalevolence like this.
  15. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

For the first release I think Walk, Idle, Stand, Jump, Fall and (d'oh) Run would suffice.
    But still, Run... I don't know anything about animations, but that'd be important, since it's always running towards the player whenever he ports onto his ship.

16. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

The problem with run is that it only uses 4 frames, but this is only the default. If you edit the mosnter's .animation file, you can set it to 8 frames, which will cooperate with the premade animation and the rest of the animations.
    In the file, just change the code from
    Code:
              "run" : {
                "frames" : 4,
                "cycle" : 0.25,
                "mode" : "loop"
              },
    to
    Code:
              "run" : {
                "frames" : 8,
                "cycle" : 0.25,
                "mode" : "loop"
              },
    Then the image can have all the frames and be fine!
    (Note: The "cycle" value may need to be changed to something higher, try to experiment with it if the animation happens too quickly.)

Updated sheet:
    upload_2015-5-11_20-48-37.png

17. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Earliest I'll get to work on it is tomorrow anyways (~a lot of hours here), so I got enough time theorycrafting, but this spritesheet will do the trick, thanks!X3
    Now at least I've got something to do for tomorrow. *-*

Owl_Stalker likes this.
  18. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Derrick Shippets

A few important notes:

This package contains shippets for all races, it simply swaps out the existing ones.
    For reference:

Human - Cat
    Avian - Bunny
    Hylotl - Crasberry
    Glitch - Piglett
    Floran - Snake
    Novakid - Snugget
    Clean - Weasel (Used for most custom races, for example).

You can choose which ones you want to replace, since I included every race as a single modpak. Just put the ones you want in your mod-directory.
    Another thing, you can read above that a few animations are missing, I didn't have much times to test this thing, so some animations might be out of place, and yes, once the pet performs an action that's not included it'll transform into a black cat while the action is active.

If someone wants to change that, that's fine, but I'm a scrub at pixelart. x:

Also, I'm not entirely sure if the animation loops and cycles are good yet, so... just report whatever might be wrong and I'll try to get it right.

Didn't upload it to the mod-repo since it's neither my idea nor my work, for the biggest part. Do with those files as you please.

Jerln, Owl_Stalker and Yzzey like this.
  19. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

OH MY GOD YES.

SO MUCH YES

THANK YOU

The Squid and Owl_Stalker like this.
  20. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

lol... I'm happy when you are... x:

Dun lose it again, tho! D: