1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

MISSING DERRICK-need help finding certain creature

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Yzzey, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Should I have the mod installed, it posed a challenge to us Humans, and Ningens. We're on a search of POOD Derrick (Peaceful Original Orange Derrick) until now.
    We may find a variant of a POOD, but we'll have to kill it if it's a Parasite-spitting, or anything that will kill us on sight.

2. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

So is Derrick an aggro mob, or nah?

3. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

I think so, yeah. Or at least most of it's biological relatives are.

4. Hatsya Souji

I met many aggro Derricks everywhere, but not the POOD that the Thread Starter is looking for

5. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

6. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Sadly, he might not spawn without the mod...

7. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Why?

8. beari78

beari78 Guest

My alerts derped. :< What's going on now?

9. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

The Wrinkled Mite Derrick

thewrinkledmitederrick.png
    Found in massive caves of flesh, this disgusting creature burrows into the tissues that make up the walls. Lucky for you, it's a docile being.

hyta.png

Yzzey likes this.
  10. MysticMalevolence

I meant next update. And with the next update hopefully coming this year, it doesn't seem worth it to find him and lose him again.

11. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I'm trying to see if George is adding it in...

12. SugarShow

SugarShow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sadly, I think the search for derrick is the only thing that keep this game alive.:rip:

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  13. Hatsya Souji

I'm still having fun with both Starbounds (April Stable & Nightly), it's just that... I wanna build a large Ningen empire, and hopefully pet a Peaceful, Original Orange Derrick (POOD).

14. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Try not to kill it, if you can. Maybe knock it on the head to knock him out. I wouldn't want to find Derrick only to have him cry and tell me all his family is dead. :rofl:
    We found a lot of Derricks, there's a Derrick wildlife reserve now, and there's a mod that adds Derrick to the game now.

beari78 likes this.
  15. thunderskull833

thunderskull833 Orbital Explorer

yeah my contractors are retarded :rofl:

Feathery Dust likes this.
  16. Ultra mutant 336

Ultra mutant 336 Subatomic Cosmonaut

17. Hatsya Souji

@Yongzhi2000 sorry if I have to regard your Derrick as POOD, as he might be the Derrick you're looking for, a peaceful one.

18. khamnarei

khamnarei Void-Bound Voyager

Experiment #2
    Onwards for glorious science!

[​IMG]

I didn't come up with any good close matches to Derrick this time. But I found something else unexpected along the way.

[​IMG]

This was Poopy, one of my very first pets which I lost in Angry Koala. I suddenly glimpsed something very familiar looking among the test cultures and couldn't have reached for the capture pod faster! It's one mere step from being perfect, the toenails have disappeared, but the new organism is really a splitting image in every other way.
    If there was hope for Poopy, there is hope for Derrick!!

PS. All of the Derricks from this new series are one-of-a-kind organisms that have been cultured, not obtained from natural habitats. If anyone is interested in owning a particular test subject from any of my screenshots, feel free to point one out and I can send you the genetic blueprint.

19. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Derrick search: Day 265
    Coming across a new planet, I beamed down in search of Derrick again. The planet was known as: Beta Tania Borealis 38 II, the warmer and larger of two twin jungle planets in the system.
    4.png

Beaming down, a Derrickian creature immediately assaulted me with a flurry of bubbles. As overjoyed as I was at the sight of it, I had to attack the creature and drive it off. As it fled, it stopped suddenly and regarded me curiously, head tilted. I noticed it's physiology and started to wonder...
    2.png

It had bands of Neon rings around it, with it's eyes glowing the same color. I began to wonder how it had evolved that way. Considering that the Derrick homeworld was probably destroyed, I guessed the little guys somehow managed to survive drifting through space, until each of them landed on a planet. As long as a breeding pair was present, they could rapidly procreate and adapt to the planet. The head crest remains the same regardless of the rest of their physiology, and possibly has no purpose other than to mark them out as a Derrick. It is highly unlikely that another creature followed a seperate evolution path and yet still attain a pracdtically useless head crest that resembles Derricks in every way. In a span of 266 days, the Derrick species had adapted to the surroundings. I looked around at the other creatures, hoping to find a clue.

1.png

The herbivore on the planet was a slimy creature with a jagged tail. As I approached, the tail lit up with pink neon. I gasped as I remembered the Luminous bands of neon on the previous Derrick. Perhaps it has something to do with this one? The flashing of neon would possibly attract these herbivores, luring them towards the predatory Derrick. The neon consumed from them could also allow the Derricks to create their own. Without stopping to consider more, I ran off to look for the third creature.
    108914[/ATTACH]

The third creature I found attacked once they saw me. they were apelike, with massive arms suited for climbing. They were probably predators that dropped down on their prey. Looking at their feet, it was the same as the previous Herbivore. They left a layer of slime as they moved, possibly for sticking on to the trees they climbed. After killing them, I bent down to examine the slime. The consistency was the same as the slime the Derrick had spewed onto my shield. Perhaps the Derrick gained that ability from this creature? While these used it for mobility, the Derricks had managed to use the same power to create a weapon.

Finalizing my theory, I decided that Derricks had the unique ability to adapt extremely quickly, managing to completely deviate from their original course of evolution in less than a year. No wonder there are so many Derricks of different shapes ad sizes! Evolution is truly a wonderful thing.

20. MysticMalevolence