1. Hey Guest! Our new game Wargroove has released! Check out the forums or wiki for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Missing/Corrupt Save File Troubleshooting Guide

Discussion in 'Support' started by ConcernedApe, Apr 7, 2016.

1. TJishere

TJishere Space Hobo

Last night my entire laptop froze on trying to save the game, when I tried to load there were no saves. Following this guide I hoped for a solution but my save and also my old save are empty (there are 'empty' characters I can select?). Is there any hope for a fix or is it completely gone?

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Ketchup Robot

If all the files in the save folder are completely blanked out as you say, then it sounds like it's unsalvageable.
      I'd also check if there were any error logs generated & you have enough disk space. Just to make sure it wasn't a Stardew related freeze.

• JohanP

JohanP Space Hobo

Hi. So, this is the first time in ten years that I post in a forum and the reason is that I am (of course) desperate. My daughter has been playing Stardew Valley a lot on her Ipad (that she has bought using years of savings) and she's really caught up in it and I think it's the first game she really likes. I hesitate to even begin to think about the hours she has put in the game, her farm and the relationships.

Today the app began to shut down when loading the save file and I tried to fix it the same way my wife had fixed it before: by backing up the save file and reinstalling the game. To my regret I did not use Itunes since I thought it could be done using the Files app, but now I've understood that it doesn't work. The files simply does not show in the loadscreen. When looking att them on my PC their filetype is simply stated as "file" and not xml or something like it. I guess this is part of the problem. The files contains data though as far as I can see in Notepad.

Is there some way to fix this? I, and Lea, would be forever thankful. Uploading the files and hoping for the best.

Attached Files:

• pancakebunnz

pancakebunnz Aquatic Astronaut

Hello there, I just checked in this help forum and I'm kind of at a loss at the moment. Whenever I install Stardew Valley and only add SMAPI, I get faced with this error:

[game] Exception in GetNumFarmsSaved() trying to open file 'C:\Users\SarahC\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves\Sarah_176107765\SaveGameInfo'
          [game] System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\SarahC\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves\Sarah_176107765\SaveGameInfo'.
          File name: 'C:\Users\SarahC\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves\Sarah_176107765\SaveGameInfo'
          at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
          at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
          at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
          at StardewValley.Game1.GetNumFarmsSaved() in C:\Users\gitlab-runner\gitlab-runner\builds\5c0f9387\0\chucklefish\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 173
          [game] Exception in GetNumFarmsSaved() trying to open file 'C:\Users\SarahC\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves\Sarah_176415499\SaveGameInfo'

And it repeats, and repeats, and well? Repeats. I also see that it doubles every save when I go to load a game, and if I delete one of the doubles, it crashes immediately. I've verified the files, I've uninstalled, fully deleted the folders in steam as well. If there's any insight into what might be going on I'd appreciate it. At the moment, I have no saves even on the game itself and it still gives me this error. I can make one up to send if needed. Many thanks!