1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

MiniMap item

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Desastreger, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Desastreger

Desastreger Tentacle Wrangler

Hello,

I've been thinking for a while it'd be cool if there was a map as a rare non-usable item that drops.

Ideally the map would display Teleport, shrines, chests and/or anything relevant.

I'd name it something like "Amerigo's pocket watch" and the description would be
    "Now you get to be an explorer!"

Thoughts? I didn't see this idea in a previous thread.

Thank you!

ggh325 likes this.
    • bologna_man

bologna_man Void-Bound Voyager

I think it would be more appropriate as a use item with no cooldown, so you can only see the map when you hold down the use button. An item like this would be extremely powerful in that you wouldn't have to spend any time searching for the teleporter (you could just run straight to it), so I feel like it should take up the valuable use item slot. Plus this way, you wouldn't have a minimap constantly cluttering up the screen.

ggh325 likes this.
      • Smuggy

Smuggy Space Spelunker

I like where you are going with this. I think it could work as a use item.

Exploring more about a passive item?
        If it were passive perhaps another feature would need to be implemented first. Like having a appropriately sized map you can view.

Some options I see for map viewing could be:
        • Full map - open a full map from the pause menu or by pressing the Select button
        • Minimap - a toggle between a mini map and a expanded minimap (by pressing the Select button)
        • Map overlay - open a map overlay on screen by pressing select button

I for sure like the idea of a map like item passive/use, its implementation seems to be a more complex one though.

Cheers!

• Desastreger

Desastreger Tentacle Wrangler

It could just be an extremely minimalistic minimap on the right beneath the difficulty meter. Something pretty much like this:
          [​IMG]

Just lines and colored dots, nothing fancy. There is a limited amount of overall layouts to each map, it could just be a small exoskeleton of it including item/teleport spawn points. No real-time tracking or anything like that.

And I believe it should be a passive item, having it on the use slot could mess up a bit the dynamics in my taste.

ggh325 likes this.
          • pingpong2012

pingpong2012 Void-Bound Voyager

Could have an item that's literally a compass. Points to the exit portal via an arrow on the border of the screen. If you had others, you could do shrines, chests, etc.