Merging single player planets/space stations into multiplayer

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Frostyhobo47, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Frostyhobo47

Frostyhobo47 Space Hobo

So I love Starbound, and I really love the idea of playing on a server where you could just run into another person or remnants of other players, however there are a few issues at hand here, colonization on a server is very expensive especially since there aren't any official servers hosted and maintained by chucklefish.

So an idea to fix this would be to add an item to the base game that allows for a character to craft a PLANET SCANNER or a STATION SCANNER, these would both cost x amount of resources to craft and a one time use on either a planet or a station; they would need to be relatively expensive to craft, but what they would do is scan the planet or space station you have used them on and give you a special black hole device that you install into your ship. What this would allow you to do is be able to host your own space station or ship in any server without it having to actually be placed into that world, the only way someone could join is if you invited them or they were on your ship to access it or they were in your group at the time of travel.

I think it could from a technical standpoint function similarly to your ship.

I think this is the ONE thing needed to make multiplayer that much greater.

2. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

I think the (vanilla) game desperately definitely needs better tools to edit worlds and copy/paste builds more easily, tho I'm not a big fan of having those tools in a survival mode item. I don't get why CF did never implement a creative mode and why schematics files aren't a thing. Is it because they tried so hard to stand out from minecraft (terrible mistake, minecraft is successful for good reasons) or is that technically difficult ?

3. Gasboy

Gasboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

[QUOTE="Frostyhobo47, post: 3249222, member: 910071"What this would allow you to do is be able to host your own space station or ship in any server without it having to actually be placed into that world, the only way someone could join is if you invited them or they were on your ship to access it or they were in your group at the time of travel.
    [/QUOTE]

It was my understanding that in multiplayer, people cannot get to your ship unless they are in your group and teleport to your ship. Is this an incorrect understanding? Or is this only a "singleplayer universe + invite people to your game" thing?

4. ProfMoebius

ProfMoebius Space Penguin Leader