Race Meet The Marli

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Ty525, Dec 16, 2013.

1. OuttaThinAir

OuttaThinAir Big Damn Hero

Nice work! I want it in game now...

Disco2 likes this.
  2. Forti

Forti Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When you were thinking of how to do ships and their settlements, it got me thinking. I've always been sort of dissatisfied with how primitive the Florans are, regardless of how they explain how the Floran ships are basically scavenged. A race that lives out of straw and wood huts shouldn't be able to repair and operate advanced space faring ships, especially if the typical citizen is illiterate.

So what I'd, personally, hope for this spectacular species you've worked so hard on so far is that you stay away from mud and stone construction and slapped together junk trawlers for living quarters and ships. Something that I think would be IDEAL for you is to look into a non-Victorian Steampunk-ish technology mixed with elements you can find from the Disney animated movie "Treasure Planet", especially since the game already has space-fairing boats that you can find on some worlds. Solar Sails, thrusters and such. And as for weaponry, take a look at RyuujinZERO's Avali Race Mod. They have some really cool power/laser swords That would be an ideal fit for this race as well.

3. Sambo Samba

Sambo Samba Void-Bound Voyager

i like this a lot
    if i had had these while starting the beta i'd have very probably picked these

Disco2 likes this.
  4. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Lovely design, great job mate

5. Xenalith

Xenalith Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've looked at so many races and how much work they put into them yet they are still..boring.
    As soon as I saw the sprites I fell in love, + pirate theme - epic.
    This is going places, I really like this Race!

6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

And yet another good race suggestion passes under my radar. Although it doesn't sound like the OP is still with us, it's not a bad piece of work he put together.

Khuur likes this.
  7. Endelerius

Endelerius Twenty-three is number one

Space pirates!
    Hell yeah, you have my vote!

8. Fred Meat

Fred Meat Subatomic Cosmonaut

I want these guys in the game! Also, you are awesome at sprites and drawing.
    Just a question. Why do Marli have Jamaican accents? Shouldn't they do pirate talk like "Arr me hearties, let's steal some monkey tech and parrot gold!" Sorry, that sucked, but still.

9. Xenalith

Xenalith Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah that was pretty bad.
    Because Pirate talk is too mainstream, Jamaican Rasta-ness is just so original and creative + it fits.

10. DarkTanatos

DarkTanatos Astral Cartographer

as a counter part / archenemy there should also be a ninja culture.
    they should also be a race that dont like fish...ore love it that mush to hunt it. maybe some turtle race design.
    so the perfect archenemies would be ninja ... turtles ... ... ... nvm.

anyway. great race design and nice sprites you showed here. i would really like to see them ingame. :)

11. Fred Meat

Yeah, it is cool. Plus, I would like to be a Jamaican octopus alien space pirate.
    Quick edit: Put in rasta hats and dreadlocks for them. Also, Bob Marli.

12. Mau5GoneMad

Mau5GoneMad Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really would love to know how you make these textures to your amazing new race idea, thanks.

13. Ichthyodactyl

Ichthyodactyl Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is a really fun concept for a race and the design and sprites are amazing. I would love to see this become a mod and I'd do it myself if I weren't such a noob at these things. Regardless of where any of these assets end up, very good work, much kudos.

14. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Humanity and Ningen would see those guys as "Kill it with fire" individuals, as they have tentacles.

15. OuttaThinAir

OuttaThinAir Big Damn Hero

I can sort of see why. If a perfectly normal escapee of Earth ran across one of these things, it might not end well...

16. Fred Meat

I just realised, but these look like a mixture of Weequay pirates (especially the one with a helmet/hat at the start) and the nautolan, both Star Wars races. Just saying...

17. E253MechaShadow

E253MechaShadow Phantasmal Quasar

Yes. By all means, yes.
    Please?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  18. Tet the Zoologist

Tet the Zoologist Space Penguin Leader

This is one of my favorite race concepts that I've seen here.

19. SssssuperFloran2004

SssssuperFloran2004 Void-Bound Voyager

nice. i like it!:nuruhappy:
    now what would the ship look like?

20. Tet the Zoologist

Tet the Zoologist Space Penguin Leader

Pirate Ship

SssssuperFloran2004 likes this.