1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Florans

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ghostar, Nov 15, 2012.

1. 404james

404james Big Damn Hero

apparently the ships come with instruction manuals in some sort of universal language. I don't know how they do it, but the article says they reverse engineer, and I'm just making logical extrapolations of that statement.

Another good explanation.

2. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

yeah, I like that one.
    what I don't like is the bit where that one tribe of Floran found a machine that turns an amount of water into an equal amount of cow.

3. 404james

404james Big Damn Hero

Is that a thing that happened? I don't remember that one.

4. Fengrich

Fengrich Big Damn Hero

And suddenly earth's ocean was renamed the Sea of Cow.

5. 404james

404james Big Damn Hero

Am I missing a popular culture reference here?

6. The Enlightened Grue

except we'd have to keep the term "Sea Level" because as we all know...

7. Neo Metal Sonic

Neo Metal Sonic Master Chief

Aggressive sapient plant species? PERFECT!

The Enlightened Grue likes this.
  8. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Well we haven't learned anything about the humans yet.

I agree that the Avians are probably going to be fairly chill for the most part, as long as you don't intrude into their temples. It's just that of the three races that have been blog-posted, two are borderline-evil, and all three have made a point to say that player characters will at best be seen as outsiders by the broader society.

Especially with the new info on the Florans, it feels like the devs are scared stiff of the races, or the game itself, being perceived as cutesy. I can appreciate that concern, but I think that if all the races turn out like that (or even all-except-humans), it would be an overcompensation. And again, as 404james said, it would be a bit of a strain on the suspension of disbelief.

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. The Enlightened Grue

to compensate, the aquatics will probably be most likely be generally peaceful or thereabout.

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. I can clearly see the apex as 'evil', but I don't see that in the planties. While they may be cannibalistic, and aggressive, I could compare this nature to lions, who occasionally consume their own kin, and are also rather aggressive, especially in their territory. It's understandable that can be portrayed as evil; evil is very subjective. However, in my opinion, I don't see it in that case.

Axe Garian, Zouleena and 404james like this.
  11. 404james

404james Big Damn Hero

We can, however, infer a lot about humans from the situation and direction of our own present culture. for instance, it is likely that the humans in the game will be either profit motivated industrialists, or colonial developers. We can infer that a lot of their aesthetics will be rectangular in nature, and we can infer that they willbe almost entirely reliant on mass produced and distributed goods.

I agree. I see them more as chaotic neutral than the chaotic evil that most seem to interpret them as. this doesn't change my opinions on the overly hostile fiction, though.

12. The Enlightened Grue

well if we're gonig Dungons and Dragons over it, I see their official government as Lawful Evil.

13. TheNextDecade

TheNextDecade Phantasmal Quasar

...after that thing I'm suddenly moving away the King of the nordic twilight project, and gona be going for the Plant of the nordic twilight. Still gonna make a main base in a winter world, but now under a glass dome, and with lots of nature. Icy Plant-people. That's something new.

14. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Hence "borderline." It's clear that they are almost unilaterally hostile to non-Floran sentients.

15. All this talk of D&D alignments reminds me of a comic.
    Florans are Center-Right.

264.jpg

survivorization likes this.
  16. The Enlightened Grue

oh hey, I read that one a while back!

17. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Anyone else think that poptop's would make fitting mounts for the Florans?

18. I don't even see them as 'borderline evil'. What makes it 'borderline', anyway?

19. The Enlightened Grue

the fact that the statement has clearly been balanced on top of a white picket fence. that one right there.
    between our lawn and the one filled with skulls.
    you know, the one that stretches out past where the eye can see.

20. I know what borderline means D:<

I just want to know what puts the borderline in borderline evil.