1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Florans

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ghostar, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

That's the thing though, plants reproduce in a lot of different ways.

ziga likes this.
  2. Armored Code

Armored Code Orbital Explorer

Note to self, bring a flamethrower for gardening.

3. Kalico

Kalico Guest

I suppose it depends on what they were implying by saying unisex. It could mean that the Florans have only a single sex in their species, with each individual expressing characteristics of both female and a male. Though it makes me wonder why they have what looked to be a female/male selection in the character creation picture released a while ago. Maybe that just determines their outward appearance, rather than indicating what sex they are?

Some more info on the subject if anyone is interested, details a bunch of different ways a plant population can reproduce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoecious#Plant_population

4. Nymz

Nymz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looks great, but this race isn't for me. Avians and Fish people ftw. :up:

5. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

They rub butts together and a baby appears... I don't know? Maybe they just go "Oh, I made a seed." Then throw it on the ground for another to grow. I kinda question why you even want to know how they breed. You don't ask how plant people in old video games breed, you just know they are there.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. But... But... They're PLANTS. They don't... Not the same as... Robots arn't...
    Forget it.

RustyJ and Autoantitheft like this.
  7. Steam Pirate

Steam Pirate Space Kumquat

I thought Florans were a pretty cutie flowery huffle puffy goodie goodie sweety pie race :love:.... Not.
    NO, THEY ARE TERRIBLE AND THEY WILL BURN THE GALAXY INCLUDING EVERYTHING THAT MOVES.

8. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

[​IMG]

I can imagine the conversation already xD

Axe Garian and Mianso like this.
  9. fetalstar

fetalstar 404 Artist Not Found Developer

FIXED.
    EAT EVERYTHING.

ziga, Steam Pirate and Roxie Stables like this.
  10. And that's how the cookie crumbled!

ziga likes this.
  11. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

You'll just have to play the game and find out....
    Yep, I feel like I'm marketing for the developers now.

ziga likes this.
  12. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

[​IMG]

13. shcfyd

shcfyd Subatomic Cosmonaut

what what? hyper-adaptive, hyper-aggressive fauna/ecosystem bent on invading, assimilating and consuming entire alien biomes while parasitic, behaviour-altering fungal spores dominate higher sentient life?

ziga likes this.
  14. Phyrex

GERMINATE! GERMINATE! GERMINATE!

15. Word on the Wind

Word on the Wind Former Staff

Definitely going to play a Floran, probably as my second character. Still making a human first.

Steam Pirate and Crystan like this.
  16. ender1200

ender1200 Subatomic Cosmonaut

So man eating plant people. I think i found my first race!
    Now to think up some cannibal jokes for multy player.

ziga likes this.
  17. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

Hostile plants? As if nature wasn't already unforgiving.
    But it's a nice race idea, I like it :DD.

Reimburst likes this.
  18. Platipus

Platipus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love the feel of the florans however I'm not particularly a fan of the "tribal" look. Not that it's bad or anything, but I'm pretty sure that the green glow rather than the natural one, will peeve me a bit at some point. It hits me off as a place of danger or a dark outside place, it tends to make me feel like the light has been alienated a bit, but that's just my opinion.

The life of a floran seems very fun though. I'm not sure whether we will be considered enemies at the start of the game if we assume Floran, or if we're exempt due to how our planet was destroyed by an alien race. Regardless, it'll be fun to take the role as vagabond that can take allegiance to oneself or another race altogether, and fight off legions of Florans in brutal combat. I mean, they've been defined as primitive, so I assume a majority of them won't have guns, with the exception of some being introduced into the culture or the race having their own guns.

Which reminds me, will there be bows? A many of ideas have been suggested of not likely occuring due to how they don't fit the Starbound "theme", but now that a primitive species has been incorporated, bows might be a possibility considering how productive Chucklefish is with their time.

ziga likes this.
  19. Kameil

Kameil 2.7182818284590...

I'll try to resist eating things as I create a Floran... unless it's the only way I'll love. Then curses...

20. Phyrex

"hey guys, who wants to go to KFA ?
    whats that ?
    its a new fast-food that opened, i think it stand for kentucky friend avians"

Gay and ziga like this.